What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Draft back on the agenda

Perth Red

Post Whore
How could we have a draft when all Jnr elite development is tied to the NRL clubs already? Why would a club invest in a 16 year old if they can be drafted when they hit 18 or 20 to another club? How would that even work without an U21's comp to draft out of? It would need a massive overhaul of the current development systems to work, cant see clubs liking that!

How could we have a draft when all Jnr elite development is tied to the NRL clubs already? Why would a club invest in a 16 year old if they can be drafted when they hit 18 or 20 to another club? How would that even work without an U21's comp to draft out of? It would need a massive overhaul of the current development systems to work, cant see clubs liking that!

The only draught is the ones that come out of your arse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is this a new article or a rehashed one?
Seems to be doing the rounds again! Like moving the GF and more internationals, one of those stories that comes around lol.

Queensland Rugby League CEO Rohan Sawyer has publicly backed the NRL to move towards a draft system, much like the AFL.

There has been plenty of debate as to whether an NRL draft would work, with the main argument against being the players’ unwillingness to relocate so early in their careers.

Many coaches have argued that keeping young players in their hometowns around their own support systems is crucial to development on and off the field.

Sawyer noted that the AFL draft system is something that the NRL should consider to even the playing field of the teams.

“I’m a supporter of the draft system, it’s not often that I give the AFL too much praise, but they do some great stuff,” Sawyer said on SENQ Breakfast.

“I think it’s something we really seriously need to look at in Rugby League, I understand there are challenges where people live and with movement.

“I don’t think that’s any different in any sort of workplace, we have people who are fly-in workers, who at young ages as apprentices have to fly in and fly out for work.

“Obviously we have to look after the wellbeing of our players but to really get some talent equalisation, to put them into a system what is essentially a traineeship, I think a draft would be something really good to have a look at.

“Hopefully not only to equalise talent but to look at how we can make a true pathway at that junior level, where clubs don’t have to compete across trying to sign players at such young areas to keep them in their catchment, the merits of the draft allows people to have an even playing field.”

Although there has been no formal proposal as of yet for an NRL draft, the idea has previously been considered by NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and it's likely this will continue to become the forefront of the agenda for the ARLC and NRL.

Colk

First Grade
Seems to be doing the rounds again! Like moving the GF and more internationals, one of those stories that comes around lol.

Queensland Rugby League CEO Rohan Sawyer has publicly backed the NRL to move towards a draft system, much like the AFL.

There has been plenty of debate as to whether an NRL draft would work, with the main argument against being the players’ unwillingness to relocate so early in their careers.

Many coaches have argued that keeping young players in their hometowns around their own support systems is crucial to development on and off the field.

Sawyer noted that the AFL draft system is something that the NRL should consider to even the playing field of the teams.

“I’m a supporter of the draft system, it’s not often that I give the AFL too much praise, but they do some great stuff,” Sawyer said on SENQ Breakfast.

“I think it’s something we really seriously need to look at in Rugby League, I understand there are challenges where people live and with movement.

“I don’t think that’s any different in any sort of workplace, we have people who are fly-in workers, who at young ages as apprentices have to fly in and fly out for work.

“Obviously we have to look after the wellbeing of our players but to really get some talent equalisation, to put them into a system what is essentially a traineeship, I think a draft would be something really good to have a look at.

“Hopefully not only to equalise talent but to look at how we can make a true pathway at that junior level, where clubs don’t have to compete across trying to sign players at such young areas to keep them in their catchment, the merits of the draft allows people to have an even playing field.”

Although there has been no formal proposal as of yet for an NRL draft, the idea has previously been considered by NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and it's likely this will continue to become the forefront of the agenda for the ARLC and NRL.

It probably won’t go any further

Nice story.

Colk

First Grade
Another equalisation option is very much needed but I don’t think a fumbleball style rookie draft is ever likely to happen. That is unless there were massive alterations to it which would in turn defeat the purposes of it.

Hopefully there is further talk of options at least because the cap doesn’t work and if you want to expand the competition further (which we’ll need to in any case) then we need to plan it better.

T-Boon

Coach
I think a code needs to either have a rookie draft or promotion and relegation to create big interest in the lower tiers and thus become massive.
All the competitions/codes that have either of those are massive and the sports that don't are pretty small.

Munky

Coach
I think a code needs to either have a rookie draft or promotion and relegation to create big interest in the lower tiers and thus become massive.
All the competitions/codes that have either of those are massive and the sports that don't are pretty small.

So the Penrith reserve grade team should take the Tiger's spot?

I guess they did beat them in the 22 season.

Be awkward when they play the first grade side.

Colk

First Grade

Well a draft in some capacity I guess. The benefits of the draft would be greater investment in areas outside of NSW/QLD (essentially areas outside of existing club borders/areas)

King-Gutho94

Coach
Anyone who wants tanking in a sport is f**ked tbh
Agree it's ridiculous. Professional sporting teams should be aiming to win every game.

At least the fluffy PR team at the Tigers in Pascoe and the Bryden's lawyer chairman could sell to there members they have a top 3 draft pick every season. They like selling hope and delivering SFA.

BunniesMan

Immortal

It ain't rocket science. And you don't need a national comp. It could work just like it does now. Teams do their best to scout young talent and they could have a drafting strategy for how they evaluate who is best when their pick comes up.

As for clubs investing in youth, the answer is in the AFL draft system: teams like the Swans get draft concessions for NSW players they have developed in their academy. The Lions in Queensland etc. Teams can move up in the draft if necessary to get one of their "juniors.'

So adapting it to the NRL, a club like Penrith could still get the best junior in their system, they just wouldn't be able to horde a whole generation of players

Colk

First Grade
It ain't rocket science. And you don't need a national comp. It could work just like it does now. Teams do their best to scout young talent and they could have a drafting strategy for how they evaluate who is best when their pick comes up.

As for clubs investing in youth, the answer is in the AFL draft system: teams like the Swans get draft concessions for NSW players they have developed in their academy. The Lions in Queensland etc. Teams can move up in the draft if necessary to get one of their "juniors.'

So adapting it to the NRL, a club like Penrith could still get the best junior in their system, they just wouldn't be able to horde a whole generation of players

The argument against the draft is the tanking issue (automatically giving the highest draft pick to the bottom team etc). You would to have to get around that.

Latest posts