What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Draft back on the agenda

MugaB

Coach
How come Cowboys don't target schools in Logan?

We've got plenty of RL nurseries in Logan that would benefit from a partnership with the Cowboys. The amount of talent the Cowboys could draw from the city is huge.

A partnership with Logan Brothers would be a good start considering the Townsville Blackhawks are Townsville Brothers. Logan Brothers are the largest club from the Brothers Confraternity.

The QRL and Broncos have neglected Logan for 20 years. The city is ripe for the taking IF the Cowboys want it. I've lived here for decades and see a lot of Cowboys supporters. I think the population of Logan is up around 360k, based on the Our Logan book that is delivered to residents by the LCC.
Oh my f**king God, logan again... why aren't the cowboys targetting my bumbkin area, or maybe looking at Singapore for funds???

MugaB

Coach
Indeed. Badly run clubs will always be bad. But as you know, once a draft is in place, a guy like Pascoe isnt going to last much beyond 2-3 years when his draft picks never pan out.
The media and fans will be on his arse and he'll get punted and the tigers would get an opportunity to get someone in there who can do a better job and improve the club.

Typically decision makers of orgs dont survive consistently bad drafting. The picks are a decison makers collateral. If the picks dont pan out, they get punted.
Hows that? He has lasted longer, and gone thru plenty of "marquee" signings like james Roberts, josh reynolds, Mbop, Packer, all on large coin, and lost a slew of young talent, coz they are hopeless at identifying them... Pascoe & Co identifing a few draftees wont be an issue, coz they are already complete muppets at recruitment and retention, your dream draft won't help them or any other team..
There's no worrying about penrith losing its "Talent pool" because its never ending, marquees go out the door when we cannot fit them into the 1st grade side, the next junior promotes into that spot, which filters down to SGball level, its automatic regeneration..
the draft wont affect a team who develops beyond their means... they are basically happening to leave to get opportunity elsewhere already.. all the draft will do is band aid the issue of shit clubs being shit, and hide it enough to make them somewhat slightly competitive, which wont help them in the long run, coz if you are a mediocre club, you'll receive the unwanted players from clubs that can harness elite talent...
Dont bother stressing about how the draft will counter act against self-interest...
The world cup this very moment is being used to run out suspensions, so that next year the players can be used in NRL again..

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
They've had talented juniors and let them go....... Fox, Tedesco, Papz, Moses etc....... A draft is just another aspect Pascoe and the rest can fail at.

Yep. So too Knights a stack of talented former Knights doing the rounds

Maximus

Coach
Well yeah... its a competition... not like AFL where you each share the Trophy/Flag whatever every year, like pass the parcel...

Each club is a Business, in the business of winning, buy the best players grow the best players, buy the best coach and staff, development wins everytime... even if there was some magical DAFT, it wouldn't make these shit clubs any better... the shit teams are shit coz they are run shit.. and you wanna hand out talent like lollies to them, just your team is developing a bunch of nobody's, and spending the cap on the David Fafitas and Jarryd hasbeen Haynes

...get busy getting better or stay lazy repeating your failings - Robert Mugabe

Ah yes because the NFL teams which are worth billions are totally not businesses because the NFL has a draft. Penrith Panthers is a bigger business than the Denver Broncos which just sold for $4.65bn...

Oh and the NFL with its 8 different super bowl winners in the last 10 years is totally not a competition. They should aspire to be more like the NRL

Dragonwest

Juniors
The AFL draft is having real issues. Players are increasing asking for releases 1, 2 years after they are drafted to go back to their home state. It is not really helping the poor performing clubs such as Gold Coast, GWS, North Melb etc.

I can see their draft falling over in the AFL before the NRL takes one up.

Indeed. Badly run clubs will always be bad. But as you know, once a draft is in place, a guy like Pascoe isnt going to last much beyond 2-3 years when his draft picks never pan out.
The media and fans will be on his arse and he'll get punted and the tigers would get an opportunity to get someone in there who can do a better job and improve the club.

Typically decision makers of orgs dont survive consistently bad drafting. The picks are a decison makers collateral. If the picks dont pan out, they get punted.

If you believe that, then I have a nice harbour side house to sell you. It has a big white tiled roof :p

Example no. 1, Elgin Baylor in the NBA. He was appointed as VP of Basketball operations for the LA Clippers in 1986 and lasted till October 2008. For much of that period the Clippers were considered the joke of the NBA. They repeatedly had high draft picks, yet picked sub-par or injury prone players. In fact Baylor lost his job as he was fired for poor performance, which he sued for and lost on in court. Baylor had full control of basketball operations, yet in his 22 year tenure only had 2 seasons where they won 50% or more of its games, and only made the playoffs 4 times. Yet he lasted in the job for 22 years.

So if you think people like Pascoe and co types would not last if a draft was brought in for the NRL, think again mate as there are plenty of real world examples that contradict it entirely.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
How come Cowboys don't target schools in Logan?

We've got plenty of RL nurseries in Logan that would benefit from a partnership with the Cowboys. The amount of talent the Cowboys could draw from the city is huge.

A partnership with Logan Brothers would be a good start considering the Townsville Blackhawks are Townsville Brothers. Logan Brothers are the largest club from the Brothers Confraternity.

The QRL and Broncos have neglected Logan for 20 years. The city is ripe for the taking IF the Cowboys want it. I've lived here for decades and see a lot of Cowboys supporters. I think the population of Logan is up around 360k, based on the Our Logan book that is delivered to residents by the LCC.
Marsden is the big RL school in Logan - where Cam Smith went

nick87

Coach
If you believe that, then I have a nice harbour side house to sell you. It has a big white tiled roof :p

Example no. 1, Elgin Baylor in the NBA. He was appointed as VP of Basketball operations for the LA Clippers in 1986 and lasted till October 2008. For much of that period the Clippers were considered the joke of the NBA. They repeatedly had high draft picks, yet ick sub-par or injury prone players. In fact Baylor lost his job as he was fired for poor performance, which he sued for and lost on in court. Baylor had full control of basketball operations, yet in his 22 year tenure only had 2 seasons where they won 50% or more of its games, and only made the playoffs 4 times. Yet he lasted in the job for 22 years.

So if you think people like Pascoe and co types would not last if a draft was brought in for the NRL, think again mate as there are plenty of real world examples that contradict it entirely.

No one is accounting for organisations owned by a racist slum lord like Donald Sterling who literally didn't a shit about at whether the team won or lost and was really only interested in counting the cash he got from the revenue sharing in the NBA.

But that's why i said "typically"... there are always outliers and you can't account for them. But that's not the norm. The norm is, decision makers who continually blow drafts get fired.

nick87

Coach
Feels like it's constant in this conversation, that people just want to highlight outlying circumstances like where 1 team in a league of 30 were run at such an egregious level by a despicable human to the point even the other billionaire owners got jack of his bullshit and forced him to sell his team!
Or wildly absurd hypotheticals like Souths being able to convince the rest of the league not to draft the best RL talent of his age group because... well... reasons!... to try and dismiss the merits of a draft.

A draft isn't perfect and it doesn't solve every problem. A draft doesn't stop you from being poorly run and administered. It provides an avenue for bad teams to more quickly bridge the gap and become a good team IF they are evaluating the talent correct.
Which is ultimately what these leagues want. They want good, healthy, competitive games and they want all fans to go into any season believing they can compete. And thus might feel incentivised to watch their team, spend money of subscription tv to do so, spend time and money on tickets to a game and merchandise for their team

It's a tool to provide avenues for greater levels of talent parity. Nothing more than that. And like all tools, if it's being used by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you're unlikely to get the best results

MugaB

Coach
Feels like it's constant in this conversation, that people just want to highlight outlying circumstances like where 1 team in a league of 30 were run at such an egregious level by a despicable human to the point even the other billionaire owners got jack of his bullshit and forced him to sell his team!
Or wildly absurd hypotheticals like Souths being able to convince the rest of the league not to draft the best RL talent of his age group because... well... reasons!... to try and dismiss the merits of a draft.

A draft isn't perfect and it doesn't solve every problem. A draft doesn't stop you from being poorly run and administered. It provides an avenue for bad teams to more quickly bridge the gap and become a good team IF they are evaluating the talent correct.
Which is ultimately what these leagues want. They want good, healthy, competitive games and they want all fans to go into any season believing they can compete. And thus might feel incentivised to watch their team, spend money of subscription tv to do so, spend time and money on tickets to a game and merchandise for their team

It's a tool to provide avenues for greater levels of talent parity. Nothing more than that. And like all tools, if it's being used by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you're unlikely to get the best results
You're a tool...
Draft is stoopid, it just hides the poor performances of badly run clubs, and gives them an out... fk that, be good at what you do. Don't half arse things, WHOLE ARSE THEM... cows did it this season... why cant they all? Coz leg ups are a thing in AFL, so lets do it here in Rugba Lieg... Nien!!

I get your points regarding a draft... but i don't like other clubs, why do i want to see them prosper, when my club has done the right thing by its fans and members and others haven't...
Besides a national organization that creates development players wont exist... the NRL/arlc want the clubs to run their own ship, they aren't looking to create a new branch to f**k with them. They wont even create new clubs, they want existing ones at lower levels promoted, so that they dont need to start one fresh themselves... how the f**k are they going to pool all these "talented juniors" who will develop them if not the clubs themselves..
And before you say the state leagues.. all they do is what NRL do at a much lower level and cheaper cost, they aint creating new clubs or COEs

Last edited:

beave

Coach

NQ went from bottom 2-3 in 2021 to top 4 in 2022 with the addition of 2-3 players and a f**kload of hard work in the off season. Quick change and improvements can be accomplished with the right players and the right attitude.

Sports in the US with drafts are paying the kids that much money they will overlook the shitbox city or organisation they are playing in but when you are only paying them 1/10th or 1/20th in the NRL, the sell is a bit harder IMO.

Tell a kid from Western Sydney he's moving to Townsville for $140k a season for 3 seasons and watch their bottom lip drop. Then clubs will get in a trade wars with other teams trying to swap players to get local kids back where they wanna be, proving the whole premise of a draft absolutely pointless.

Until the players association agree to it in their collective bargaining agreement then a draft is all just pie in the sky.........

Iamback

Coach
NQ went from bottom 2-3 in 2021 to top 4 in 2022 with the addition of 2-3 players and a f**kload of hard work in the off season. Quick change and improvements can be accomplished with the right players and the right attitude.

Sports in the US with drafts are paying the kids that much money they will overlook the shitbox city or organisation they are playing in but when you are only paying them 1/10th or 1/20th in the NRL, the sell is a bit harder IMO.

Tell a kid from Western Sydney he's moving to Townsville for $140k a season for 3 seasons and watch their bottom lip drop. Then clubs will get in a trade wars with other teams trying to swap players to get local kids back where they wanna be, proving the whole premise of a draft absolutely pointless.

Until the players association agree to it in their collective bargaining agreement then a draft is all just pie in the sky.........

Guys like Luki, Nanai etc are the future of the Cowboys.

Imagine losing 1 of them to someone else, Only for the drafted player to get 'homesick'

The whole thing just doesn't work in Sports that players have options

MugaB

Coach
Guys like Luki, Nanai etc are the future of the Cowboys.

Imagine losing 1 of them to someone else, Only for the drafted player to get 'homesick'

The whole thing just doesn't work in Sports that players have options
Listen Dumbass, the players dont have options, they are born, brush their teeth then get drafted to play in singapore for grotds favorite team... thats it, dont you get it, we all need to hold hands and share god damn it!

Iamback

Coach
Listen Dumbass, the players dont have options, they are born, brush their teeth then get drafted to play in singapore for grotds favorite team... thats it, dont you get it, we all need to hold hands and share god damn it!

Sorry my mistake, Their family members also never get sick or any other reasons to keep an 18 year old home

MugaB

Coach
Sorry my mistake, Their family members also never get sick or any other reasons to keep an 18 year old home
No no no no
bxqal.gif
That will NEVER HAPPEN, its a perfect draft, and every team, will either comply or never ever get a draft pick ever again, dont you understand how this draft will work?

MugaB

Coach
Step 1 is removing all relatives of players from clubs then I guess
Might be an issue for guys like trebojovič bros
But they aren't part of this brand new dynasty in drafting... you need to really really listen, and come to terms with holding my hand, now we are going to step sideways in a great big circle and hug all this self-interest out of our pours

world without cam.gif

Now sing with me... i am Blacktown boy, i like rainbows, we all like rainbows... rainbows can exist on every kit, if i get drafted to manly.. i have to wear rainbows.... but thats ok, coz i like rainbows

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Might be an issue for guys like trebojovič bros
But they aren't part of this brand new dynasty in drafting... you need to really really listen, and come to terms with holding my hand, now we are going to step sideways in a great big circle and hug all this self-interest out of our pours

View attachment 67580

Freddy's son is 16, Forward thinking Freddy could see this and started this. For the sole purpose of his soon to be homeless son so not to breach draft rules

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yeh because your avg 17 year old on a $30k apprenticeship wouldn’t move to Townsville for $140k a year and the very real prospect of earning more by the time he’s 30 than he could earn in a lifetime on the tools. Please!

the biggest hurdle is the club based jnr system, everything else money will buy.