What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Draft back on the agenda

beave

Coach
Yeh because your avg 17 year old on a $30k apprenticeship wouldn’t move to Townsville for $140k a year and the very real prospect of earning more by the time he’s 30 than he could earn in a lifetime on the tools. Please!

the biggest hurdle is the club based jnr system, everything else money will buy.

So every kid that has league ambitions is headed for a "$30k a year apprenticeship" if they don't nominate for the draft?

Nice way to generalise, would be like me saying all Poms are unwashed whinging merkins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So every kid that has league ambitions is headed for a "$30k a year apprenticeship" if they don't nominate for the draft?
Nice way to generalise, would be like me saying all Poms are unwashed whinging merkins.
Every? No,
many? Probably.
We aren’t union lol

how many 18 year olds have you met in $140k a year jobs?

Colk

First Grade

Every? No,
many? Probably.
We aren’t union lol

how many 18 year olds have you met in $140k a year jobs?

I think he means the assumption about apprenticeships. But yes, I don’t really think a 18 year old is turning down hundreds of thousands of dollars although as a counterpoint if they are homesick they will be traded back to where they are from.

Nevertheless, these points are fairly extraneous.

The real discussion about a draft is centred on three things: do you trust a body seperate to the clubs to do a better job at developing players (based on most clubs performances in this area I would be a probable), does it reward mediocrity and promote tanking (probably a chance although some clubs will get battered either way) and lastly will it make union and other options more attractive if there are no such restrictions (that’s a possibility but it depends on what rookies would be paid under a draft)

Anyway, I’m not pro or anti draft and I can see both sides of the argument but nevertheless I don’t see it happening. I would be happy with just more investment in country rugby league and in traditional non league areas and better structures in place.