What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL expansion poker

Perth Red

Post Whore
So with the no news for two more years who is going to fold, who is going to hold and who is going to raise?

Bears are the only bid so far to suggest they might fold. Sage/Elias if they are going to bid have already thrown their cards in but may rejoin the game in the future
Bombers and CQ reckon they are going to hold,
Pirates are likey to raise imo as we will continue to build the game in WA anyway and I get the feeling the ARLC is about to throw some serious development money and NRL games our way over the next few years.

No indication from Western Corridor yet on what they will do

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...ll-keen-despite-arlc-snub-20121029-28eug.html

Bears aren't suggesting that they will fold, they are stating that current investors might not want to wait which in that case new investors will be sounded out. As a heaily supported bid with alot of people as fans, it's too late to simply throw in the towel. Even if the current investors do, plenty more fish in the sea. Sometimes I wonder if people read things as they are or as they want it to be to be more mellow dramatic.

Last edited:
I personally think when using the word EXPANSION, West Coast Pirates brings a lot to the table.

And please, not bagging other bids.

But WCP have:
* A new audience / fan pool.
* A new RL market
* A different time slot for potential games scheduling / TV.
* New sponsor pool.
* Mining money.
* The feel good factor of 'a new horizon'.
* A pretty cool logo for mine (not that that is important).
* WA Govt on side.
* A redeveloped stadium at NIB (correct me if I am wrong).

With their junior development, and they've been at it since 2005 or so, it's not like the Pirates have just turned up, a la the Bombers.

They communicate with their fans and have been pretty transparent about growing RL in WA and getting in to the big game.

For mine, would have liked to have seen that on the table. 2 more years to get it right though.

I will proudly wear my Pirates T-shirt over here on the East Coast and continue to hope they get in.

Misanthrope

Staff member
In a perfect world, we'd have the player depth and interest to let in more than two of the bids. There are definite merits to West Coast, Central Coast, CQ, Wellington, PNG, Brisbane, and Adelaide IMO.

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
CQ will only be raising and looking to progress no matter what the date is. As we saw last week with the CQ Capras link now. And we should see in coming weeks, months or years.

Beowulf

Juniors
The Bears are not folding. The NRL won't get off the hook that easily. The only one who has said they are gone is Ray Hadley, and that's just wishful thinking on his part!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Flo is the only person so far to not come out with a positive statement about definately being around in 5 years for the next chance.

"We'll have to assess whether we can fund another two or three years in the wilderness, sitting around not operating," Florimo said.

"That's going to be the biggest issue for us, whether the stakeholders want to sit around that long.
"We have to have to sit down with the members and the board to decide where we go from here.

Beowulf

Juniors
Flo is the only person so far to not come out with a positive statement about definately being around in 5 years for the next chance.

"We'll have to assess whether we can fund another two or three years in the wilderness, sitting around not operating," Florimo said.

"That's going to be the biggest issue for us, whether the stakeholders want to sit around that long.
"We have to have to sit down with the members and the board to decide where we go from here.

All of that is true - Bears fans are expremely confident of the key stakeholders response, however. Flo can't speak on their behalf till he confirms with them. There will be a statement within a few weeks.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Bears are folding and unfortunately the whole Central Coast area will now be lost to AFL & Lacrosse...

Boy

Juniors
I'm all for the pandas and am willing to become member to keep the bid alive
But I want a prototype jersey