What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Fans Poll results

carcharias

Immortal
"a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention."
(google is a wonderful thing)

Well that would make my comment not a hot take ( who the f**k even says that)
I read all the poll results.
I disagreed with one finding in particular.
I mentioned that one and gave a valid reason why ..,ie the the same stadiums were voted best and worst.

Maybe your hot take call was a hot take itself?

The Great Dane

First Grade
"This poll is shit and the system is shit but I won't actually tell anyone why it is, which particular answer"

You're good for an essay TGD... where's the breakdown of each question and why everyone else is wrong?

Woah, what's got you all pissy, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or some shit...

Take any of a number of the answers and if the result was implemented you'd have a disaster waiting to happen. For example the how should the bunker be used poll, if it was used less it's only a matter of time until a mistake is missed because of it being used less that leads to a team losing a big game and a huge 'scandal' ensues with almost all of those people that just voted that it should be used less voting that it should be used more in the next poll and the cycle of outrage (and the Daily Telegraph being able to rile up as many clicks as they want based on said outrage) continues on in perpetuity.

Realistically the problem with the video ref isn't the technology in of it's self, it's the operators and the system they are expected to follow in making a decision, using the technology less doesn't fix the problem it ignores the real problems and creates new ones. People also forget what it was like before we had the video ref as well and don't understand that now the cat is out of the bag we can never go back to those times anyway, but I won't go into detail about that cause I wouldn't want to be writing an "essay", cause god forbid that somebody on this site actually explains their positions in at least a little detail every now and again...

BTW, I actually did explain why the poll and system were shit...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well that would make my comment not a hot take ( who the f**k even says that)
I read all the poll results.
I disagreed with one finding in particular.
I mentioned that one and gave a valid reason why ..,ie the the same stadiums were voted best and worst.

Maybe your hot take call was a hot take itself?
You actually disagreed with two findings but that aside, how is the logic of a poll of 50,000 difficult to understand?

It's possible that given the volume of those polled that the same stadia may well appear in both the most popular and worst lists. It's not the same people (in most cases anyway) voting the same ground best or worst.

Timmah

Staff member
Woah, what's got you all pissy, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or some shit...

BTW, I actually did explain why the poll and system were shit...
My point was that you explained why the poll and system were shit but didn't actually take any of the responses to task by providing examples in a handful of answers. not pissy, just confused as to why you'd take the chance to tear the results down without showing which one/s might be flawed. You've now done so in your reply - that's all I was asking about.

Take any of a number of the answers and if the result was implemented you'd have a disaster waiting to happen. For example the how should the bunker be used poll, if it was used less it's only a matter of time until a mistake is missed because of it being used less that leads to a team losing a big game and a huge 'scandal' ensues with almost all of those people that just voted that it should be used less voting that it should be used more in the next poll and the cycle of outrage (and the Daily Telegraph being able to rile up as many clicks as they want based on said outrage) continues on in perpetuity.
Disagree - I think there's a fair debate to be had on what the extent and limitations of the Bunker are. I would agree that the blanket statement of "use the Bunker less" that 62% of people have voted for is unhelpful as rugby league, its rules and officiating are a far more complex beast.

In fact, the blanket yes/no kind of questions probably aren't helpful, so in that sense I think the questioning the poll methodology rather than the responses provided is probably a fair thing to do.

Realistically the problem with the video ref isn't the technology in of it's self, it's the operators and the system they are expected to follow in making a decision, using the technology less doesn't fix the problem it ignores the real problems and creates new ones. People also forget what it was like before we had the video ref as well and don't understand that now the cat is out of the bag we can never go back to those times anyway, but I won't go into detail about that cause I wouldn't want to be writing an "essay", cause god forbid that somebody on this site actually explains their positions in at least a little detail every now and again...

You've actually hit on a good point about the technology not being the problem but the fact its operated by humans following a guide, and as such will always be prone to error or (to use a softer term) discretion from the officials operating it.

I certainly agree we can't wind back to the pre-video referee days and to suggest to do so is simplistic thinking that helps nobody - but I can certainly see arguments for restricting what the Bunker can rule on, which would hopefully give the public a clearer picture.

At the end of the day though, sports fans have been complaining about match officials one way or another since time immemorial so I doubt we'll see any change in that area any time soon (although News Corpse not whipping up a frenzy would help).

greenBV4

Bench
On this talk of the bunker:

I think a great fix for the bunker would be to have it set up with a "challenge system"
  • Only ever go to the bunker if a captain of either team chooses to review an on-field decision
  • Give the captains x amount of time after a try to tell the referee (like the shot clock for scrums/kick-offs)
  • limit the amount of challenges per game
  • If the captain challenges and are right they don't loose a challenge, if they are wrong they do
This way the on field ref has to always make a call, and if it isn't challenged and the reply shows that the ref's decision is wrong, then it is on the captain and players for not challenging it and not on the ref

2 weeks

Coach
fans-poll_37_media-coverage.jpg

fans-poll_38_favourite-commentator.jpg

fans-poll_39_next-immortal.jpg

No Matt Nable?
Fake news imo

carcharias

Immortal
You actually disagreed with two findings but that aside, how is the logic of a poll of 50,000 difficult to understand?

It's possible that given the volume of those polled that the same stadia may well appear in both the most popular and worst lists. It's not the same people (in most cases anyway) voting the same ground best or worst.

So do you think ...for example

Parra fans voted their own home ground the worst?

It’s the tv week awards of rugby league.

Lambretta

First Grade
Not really, most of the fans voting are Broncos supporters and they're pretty well looked after by their media, so there is no reason to vote negatively.

Biggest lol comes from 'other' beating out Hadley in the commentary question

I am amazed there are 5% of the Rugby League watching population who think listening to Ray Hadley is preferable to being deaf

Lambretta

First Grade
Well you quoted me when I dismissed the poll.
You said dopey something or other
Looked like a typo.
I thought you must have been calling me dopey.

Anyway
If it were a fair dinkum poll then ANZ and Alliance couldn’t be really top 4 for both best and worst grounds.

It is either good or not
The votes are clearly the result of fans voting for their team and against opposition teams.

It’s a waste of time.

Ask 100 people if they think ANZ is shit or great
50 say great
50 say shit

ANZ ends up being both shit and great

You can't dismiss a poll purely because people have different opinions

I think ANZ is an absolute f**king hole. My mate loves it and thinks it's awesome

So which is it?

(Of course my mate is geniused and it's a f**king hole, but it's a poll and people have a right to be wrong)

carcharias

Immortal
Ask 100 people if they think ANZ is shit or great
50 say great
50 say shit

ANZ ends up being both shit and great

You can't dismiss a poll purely because people have different opinions

I think ANZ is an absolute f**king hole. My mate loves it and thinks it's awesome

So which is it?

(Of course my mate is geniused and it's a f**king hole, but it's a poll and people have a right to be wrong)

I can if it’s a f**king stupid concept to start with where you end up that answer.

That was my point all along

It is like little girls voting for pop stars .

Timmah

Staff member
I can if it’s a f**king stupid concept to start with where you end up that answer.

That was my point all along

It is like little girls voting for pop stars .
Whether the concept itself is flawed, it's a poll asking questions and they got answers.

For someone dismissing its results you seem intensely interested in discussing them.

T-Boon

Coach
On this talk of the bunker:

I think a great fix for the bunker would be to have it set up with a "challenge system"
  • Only ever go to the bunker if a captain of either team chooses to review an on-field decision
  • Give the captains x amount of time after a try to tell the referee (like the shot clock for scrums/kick-offs)
  • limit the amount of challenges per game
  • If the captain challenges and are right they don't loose a challenge, if they are wrong they do
This way the on field ref has to always make a call, and if it isn't challenged and the reply shows that the ref's decision is wrong, then it is on the captain and players for not challenging it and not on the ref

I would prefer it to be a coaches challenge because in my opinion those lazy bastards get paid an incredible amount of money to do literally nothing on game day.

They cannot even do decent media after the game. COACHES are the one constantly criticising referees for getting calls wrong. Put the ball in their court make them accountable for something on game day.

carcharias

Immortal
Whether the concept itself is flawed, it's a poll asking questions and they got answers.

For someone dismissing its results you seem intensely interested in discussing them.
You seem intensely upset that I reckon that it’s an absolute load of shit ...which it is.

Maybe it’s your poll??

The Great Dane

First Grade
My point was that you explained why the poll and system were shit but didn't actually take any of the responses to task by providing examples in a handful of answers. not pissy, just confused as to why you'd take the chance to tear the results down without showing which one/s might be flawed. You've now done so in your reply - that's all I was asking about.

Time is the answer.

Apart from the questions that are basically popularity contests that can be boiled down to that guy from my team (which personally I couldn't care less about either way), I could go through basically all of the results and show why the answers were ill thought out, just outright stupid, or the demographics that were polled effected the result in such a way that it shouldn't be considered legitimate, however I simply don't have the time to do something like that at the moment, so it's better to attack the whole system of how the answers were postulated and show why it's garbage instead.

Disagree - I think there's a fair debate to be had on what the extent and limitations of the Bunker are. I would agree that the blanket statement of "use the Bunker less" that 62% of people have voted for is unhelpful as rugby league, its rules and officiating are a far more complex beast.

In fact, the blanket yes/no kind of questions probably aren't helpful, so in that sense I think the questioning the poll methodology rather than the responses provided is probably a fair thing to do.

You've actually hit on a good point about the technology not being the problem but the fact its operated by humans following a guide, and as such will always be prone to error or (to use a softer term) discretion from the officials operating it.

I certainly agree we can't wind back to the pre-video referee days and to suggest to do so is simplistic thinking that helps nobody - but I can certainly see arguments for restricting what the Bunker can rule on, which would hopefully give the public a clearer picture.

At the end of the day though, sports fans have been complaining about match officials one way or another since time immemorial so I doubt we'll see any change in that area any time soon (although News Corpse not whipping up a frenzy would help).

Oh don't get me wrong it's definitely a fair debate, however the people that are steering the debate are the wrong people to be doing it... When e.g. Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy, Phil Gould, even your Buzz Rothfield's, etc, etc, suggest that the VR (I hate calling it the Bunker it's so corny and gimmicky) shouldn't be able to adjudicate on whether or not a e.g. pass was forward they aren't doing that cause of any real reason that they think that the bunker shouldn't be able to adjudicate on it, they are doing it cause they see that the bunker not being able to pull up a forward pass is an advantage to their teams that out weighs the disadvantages.

My opinion on the subject would be that the bunker should be able to adjudicate on anything that the technology allows them to do without severely impacting the game or the flow of the game, i.e. if the technology exists so that the VR can instantly adjudicate on a e.g. forward pass then they should be able to do that (which btw it does but it's not used in the NRL), however if that technology doesn't exist and/or the play has moved on since the mistake has been identified then it should be ignored and play should continue.

I personally don't care how a team is pulled up for breaking the rules, as long as they are pulled up and it doesn't fundamentally change the flow of the game, but that is just my opinion.

TheFrog

Coach
This does nothing but confirm how stupid the average league fan is. Ray Warren still close to the best commentator in the game,
He's popular, otherwise 9 would make him retire. He's so popular he can tell 9 which games he wants to call. He has a warmth about him others don't.

greenBV4

Bench
I would prefer it to be a coaches challenge because in my opinion those lazy bastards get paid an incredible amount of money to do literally nothing on game day.

They cannot even do decent media after the game. COACHES are the one constantly criticising referees for getting calls wrong. Put the ball in their court make them accountable for something on game day.
That could work as well
Would also be quicker because the coach could instantly radio the ref or whoever, instead of the captain having to approach the ref after talking with the other players who were near it