What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Fans Poll results

Fangs

Coach
Cleary being the best halfback of 2018 is ridiculous. Doesn't make the top 5 in reality. But I think it also shows that the 7 has been less dominant this year.

Thought the best fullback, 5/8 and hooker were close to spot on. Top 5 players at least, not necessarily the order.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You seem intensely upset that I reckon that it’s an absolute load of shit ...which it is.

Maybe it’s your poll??
I just think it's hilarious that you're so offended by the results that you need to tell everyone about it. If it's as shit as you say it is, you'd have not bothered revisiting the thing more than once.
Oh don't get me wrong it's definitely a fair debate, however the people that are steering the debate are the wrong people to be doing it... When e.g. Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy, Phil Gould, even your Buzz Rothfield's, etc, etc, suggest that the VR (I hate calling it the Bunker it's so corny and gimmicky) shouldn't be able to adjudicate on whether or not a e.g. pass was forward they aren't doing that cause of any real reason that they think that the bunker shouldn't be able to adjudicate on it, they are doing it cause they see that the bunker not being able to pull up a forward pass is an advantage to their teams that out weighs the disadvantages.

My opinion on the subject would be that the bunker should be able to adjudicate on anything that the technology allows them to do without severely impacting the game or the flow of the game, i.e. if the technology exists so that the VR can instantly adjudicate on a e.g. forward pass then they should be able to do that (which btw it does but it's not used in the NRL), however if that technology doesn't exist and/or the play has moved on since the mistake has been identified then it should be ignored and play should continue.

I personally don't care how a team is pulled up for breaking the rules, as long as they are pulled up and it doesn't fundamentally change the flow of the game, but that is just my opinion.
I think we are essentially in agreement that the questions on the poll itself could've been worded better and I agree with what you've said about. Ultimately though the poll asked questions and people gave their feedback within those bounds. I don't think it's helpful to dismiss the results entirely, but as you suggest it's also not helpful to take them as a finite measure of how fans see the game either.
Cleary being the best halfback of 2018 is ridiculous. Doesn't make the top 5 in reality. But I think it also shows that the 7 has been less dominant this year.

Thought the best fullback, 5/8 and hooker were close to spot on. Top 5 players at least, not necessarily the order.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with halfbacks - the 7 simply hasn't been dominant this year. That JT was still up there and Cleary headed the list shows that not many halves actually had strong seasons.

carcharias

Immortal
I just think it's hilarious that you're so offended by the results that you need to tell everyone about it. If it's as shit as you say it is, you'd have not bothered revisiting the thing more than once.
It’s a rugby league forum where people make comments FFS.
It’s a dumb poll with an equally dumb and predictable result...coming from an official rugby league source.
So I commented about it.
Don’t like my comments then put me on ignore or just don’t f**king read them .
Simple.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think we are essentially in agreement that the questions on the poll itself could've been worded better and I agree with what you've said about. Ultimately though the poll asked questions and people gave their feedback within those bounds. I don't think it's helpful to dismiss the results entirely, but as you suggest it's also not helpful to take them as a finite measure of how fans see the game either.

As someone with a bit of experience in the field I'll say that it's better to scrap bad data and start over the process of sourcing data, no matter how frustrating that may be, then it is to try and make the poor data work, especially if you are going to make conclusions based on the data.

Meth

Staff member
Cleary being the best halfback in 2018 is ridiculous, but not because he hasn't been. It's because of what it says about the standard of halfbacks this year. Look at the guys beneath him.

Thurston- a future Immortal, but we all know he's been well below his best.
Cronk- see above (and maybe not a future immortal)
Johnson- hot and cold
Reynolds- yeah