What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2018

Will throw this up now, Greenbergs own words on the shoulder charge and consequences. Is very cut and dried,and Slater playing will confirm how crooked the game is

https://www.nrl.com/news/2015/08/07/shoulder-charge-rules-updated

Any player who commits a shoulder charge using force will be automatically charged by the Match Review Committee from this weekend.

Head of Football Todd Greenberg said today the change to the rule would remove ambiguity about whether a player should be charged.

Mr Greenberg said the shoulder charge was dangerous and had potentially dire consequences if it went wrong.

While the NRL had made the shoulder charge illegal, the current rules mean offenders can escape a charge if there is "no forceful movement of the head or neck".

Mr Greenberg said the rule would be simplified to require any shoulder charge with force to be charged automatically by the Match Review Committee based on the severity.

"We need to be clear about this... we cannot allow player welfare to be put at risk by shoulder charges," Mr Greenberg said.

"A player carrying the ball cannot protect himself properly against the force of a shoulder charge.

"We have seen this type of tackle have tragic consequences recently and the NRL has an obligation to put player safety first."

Mr Greenberg said players found guilty of shoulder charges risked lengthy suspensions.

A grade one shoulder charge offence carries a base penalty of 200 points and more serious breaches can result in suspensions of up to eight matches – or more.

"In other words, anyone found guilty of using a shoulder charge with force will be suspended for at least one match," he said.

"So there will be a real incentive for players and coaches to ensure that shoulder charges are taken out of the game."
I think most of the talking heads have now come to the conclusion Billy won't play, they are now arguing that rule was brought in for the front on shoulder charge.
If he is not suspended anyone next year and beyond can refer back to that tackle.
But they have hope as top lawyer involved and 3 ex-players on the panel.

The argument is the weighting of games. Is a grand final worth more than game in round 1-25?

I would say yes, to all finals on an inceasing scale.

How you work it all out is another story.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think most of the talking heads have now come to the conclusion Billy won't play, they are now arguing that rule was brought in for the front on shoulder charge.
If he is not suspended anyone next year and beyond can refer back to that tackle.
But they have hope as top lawyer involved and 3 ex-players on the panel.

The argument is the weighting of games. Is a grand final worth more than game in round 1-25?

I would say yes, to all finals on an inceasing scale.

How you work it all out is another story.

I'm the other way on that argument about if it should be weighted

If we look at how tight the top 8 was this season, say Sam Burgess does that tackle in round 7 and misses 2 weeks and Souths lose both of those games, that is the difference between 3rd and 8th potentially and has a bearing on how far a team can go etc, so I think all incidents should be treated equally regardless of what game it is

JJ

Immortal
I'm the other way on that argument about if it should be weighted

If we look at how tight the top 8 was this season, say Sam Burgess does that tackle in round 7 and misses 2 weeks and Souths lose both of those games, that is the difference between 3rd and 8th potentially and has a bearing on how far a team can go etc, so I think all incidents should be treated equally regardless of what game it is

No question, but we're talking about Sir William Slater here - he's changed the game you know

Now it's all turned around watching tonight's shows.
Billy's going to get off as right hand touches body first, before shoulder (millisecond in it)
Harrigan has him getting off.

I still feel like the intent was still to use the shoulder, no true attempt to tackle.

If he had been sent off for 10mins I would be more ok with him getting off.

Blake tackle on Fus keeps get shown as not charged.
They do realise that it's against the Warriors and they ref us different??? :)

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
No question, but we're talking about Sir William Slater here - he's changed the game you know

Ha - one of the great fallacies that Slater changed the mould of fullbacks. Because Mullins, Peachey et al never ran the ball....

I absolutely abhor Melbourne and not a fan of Slater, especially the arse-kissing that goes on with him. But I don't think he deserves to be banned, rules or not. Not sure how he could've done anything else.

And I agree with Phil, if the spineless refs had binned him - which they should've given they gave a penalty and he was the last line of defence - then maybe we'd not be worrying about a suspension.

Reactions: JJ

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Blake tackle on Fus keeps get shown as not charged.
They do realise that it's against the Warriors and they ref us different??? :)
I believe so. Remember last year when Hoffman got taken out in the act of scoring a try and they didn't even review it?...then later in the year it happens when 2 aussie teams and they review it instantly. Same thing is happening with this shoulder charge try stopper.

A NZ team will never win the NRL, aussies will make sure of that, as well as ourselves lol.

JJ

Immortal
I thought it was a great tackle.

It was... but it's illegal - I don't think they've got the penalties quite right tbh - Friend's tackle was as bad or worse, yet fewer points. Slater should have been binned, it was something he knows is illegal and he did it to stop a try - I'm even happy with penalty try - he made a decision to make that sort of tackle - deliberately,,,

But the refs police it inconsistently - e.g., the Blake one

I'd be happy for him to play - but very uncomfortable with tweaking the rules on the fly because of what seem to be emotional reasons - Slater's a great, it's his last game etc etc...

If Cronulla had won and Lewis put on a shoulder charge, would he get the same lee-way? He's great too

But if it had been Feki (or any 'normal' first grader) making the tackle, would there even be a discussion??? He'd be suspended and there'd be little/ no comment

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
It's not the first time Slaters been in trouble for his dangerous ways of stopping tries. Remember the knee?

At first glance, I noticed no arms but I also thought it was a great tackle too and that Billy would get away with it because of what Waqa did to Fus earlier. If they're consistent, Slater will get off.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
They showed the 2 tackles on 360 last night, there is a slight difference in that Blake has an arm outstretched and is diving, rather than charging in upright and bracing the shoulders for impact

If anyone sees what Tapine got 2 weeks for earlier this season, Slater is no chance. But I still am certain he will be let off and play

On a side note, they still have that rule where a suspended player is not allowed onto the field pre or post match, so if he is suspended no final lap for Billy, same happened to Luke in 2014

Big Marn

Juniors
If he does get off they will have to be very careful in how they justify it as lawyers just love precedents and next season will be very tricky for the NRL, everytime there is a shoulder charge judged to be illegal.
Whether they deem the shitstorm 2019 will be, to having Sir Billy play, as worth the trouble, is the big question.

Rich102

Staff member
For me this should be the referee's decision. He is on the field. From my perspective there was nothing dangerous in the tackle, play on. This is a game for players not lawyers.
And I agree with your points JJ.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
For me this should be the referee's decision. He is on the field. From my perspective there was nothing dangerous in the tackle, play on. This is a game for players not lawyers.
And I agree with your points JJ.

Referee immediately called shoulder charge, so Slater would be toast

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
They showed the 2 tackles on 360 last night, there is a slight difference in that Blake has an arm outstretched and is diving, rather than charging in upright and bracing the shoulders for impact

If anyone sees what Tapine got 2 weeks for earlier this season, Slater is no chance. But I still am certain he will be let off and play

On a side note, they still have that rule where a suspended player is not allowed onto the field pre or post match, so if he is suspended no final lap for Billy, same happened to Luke in 2014

Didn't they change the rule on the suspended player? Thought I read this week they did.

Slater to get off tonight is paying $1.05

I believe so. Remember last year when Hoffman got taken out in the act of scoring a try and they didn't even review it?...then later in the year it happens when 2 aussie teams and they review it instantly. Same thing is happening with this shoulder charge try stopper.

A NZ team will never win the NRL, aussies will make sure of that, as well as ourselves lol.
Back to the conspiracy, is it not the bunkers job to overturn or being allowed to overturn something if foul play is involved. So where were they with Blake on Fus tackle???

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Back to the conspiracy, is it not the bunkers job to overturn or being allowed to overturn something if foul play is involved. So where were they with Blake on Fus tackle???
I think Cummins was the ref that night, he didnt even send it upstairs. He just called it out and quickly signalled and positioned himself for a scrum. I think RTS asked him about it but Cummins wasnt havin a bar of it. Swept under the rug and I think it was only Halligan that brought it up in the commentary.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Lol watching 360 and a very big part of the defence from the Storm is that it was Feki's fault, because Billy had studied every try he has scored this season and he didn't do what Billy thought he would. FMD, that is up there with Smiths line that it was McKinnons fault his neck got broken