What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2019

Blair

Coach
Too close to call now, Cronk's been in the bin for a pro foul, but the Raiders only got the two points for that penalty while he was out.

It's been all Raiders, Charnze is having a cracker. Raiders don't deserve to lose.

8-all. Eight minutes to go.

Blair

Coach
Chooks scored against run of play to make it 14-8, and they held on. It was heart-stopping stuff when BJ Leilua had the ball on the right with seconds to go, but the attack eventually broke down.

Easts won on sheer defence.

Charnze played a tremendous game. Almost faultless at the back, and dangerous going forward, with big running metres. The transformation of this player has been one of the highlights of the season.

A terrible result for neutrals. At the final whistle Canberra simply failed to get enough points on the board, with all that possession, a one-man advantage (with Cronk in the bin), a strangely impotent Roosters attack, and a tired Roosters defence.

2019 Grand Final result:

Roosters 14
Canberra 8.

Premiers = Roosters.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Cummins shouldn’t ref NRL again, and the 2 ref crap should be out on its arse as well after than disgrace of calling 6 more than changing his mind

Now that changed the game. It was 8-all, Canberra attacking Easts' line, saw 'six more' waved, then didn't bother kicking on the last, then caught on the 'last' for a changeover.

Next set, Roosters score.

Last edited:
Cummins shouldn’t ref NRL again, and the 2 ref crap should be out on its arse as well after than disgrace of calling 6 more than changing his mind
Not sure why he keeps getting picked, saw a 2009 GF during week and gave Billy a penalty for a strip when he clearly lost the ball.
I was right in front of him calling 6 again. I was wondering why Raiders throwing it around and should just take the tackle.
The noise in the place was huge.
The trainer getting hit was more controversial to me.
Raiders still didn't take their chances, esp when Copper off, seemed to not play the game that got them to the big dance.

Cooper got the fairy tale the NRL wanted. B2B and 3peat.

Now that changed the game. It was 8-all, Canberra attacking Easts' line, saw 'six more' waved, then didn't bother kicking on the last, then caught on the 'last' for a changeover.

Next set or two, Roosters score.
BJ was lazy after the tackle that lead to that try.

Anyway, someone at Warriors HQ sending Robo a message saying, when you want a real challenge we have a coaching spot for you.

JJ

Immortal
Tense GF, compulsive viewing... neither team deserved to lose TBH

Hate the Roosters, but losing Aubusson, the (IMO) ridiculous binning of Cronk, the (IMO) poor selection of Friend, and some strange decisions along the way meant they were up against it...

Similarly, the (IMO) ridiculous changing of the 6 again was crucial - Wighton clearly thought he had 6 (and he was a beast generally), and Canberra on balance were slightly better (largely IMO because of the Aubusson and Friend issues above) but didn't take their chances... Leilua's desire to initiate contact might haunt him... Papali'i is so hard to handle, but they are a good side... so happy that CNK has been able to show how good he is...

I think they probably got the 6 again call right in the end? But you can't change your mind mid-stream... terrible, a good reason not to have two refs... of course if it wasn't 6 again and the Raiders score, the Roosters are blowing up...

Roosters (ironically) remind me of the great Canberra sides - defend like demons when not at their best, and then from nothing can strike with the talent in their backline - Keary, Mitchell... just classy move

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Like I've said all along, if we ever make the grand finals and we are the better team and are actually winning that game, in the end, we will never win because the aussie refs will make sure that a kiwi team never wins the NRL premiership.

Twice the Raiders got f**ked over by the refs.
  1. Right at the start, when a charge down by the Raiders hit the Roosters trainer and they awarded the scrum feed to the Roosters?? there was also a potential Raiders try there.
  2. Cummins clearly waving 6 more and then changing his mind??
NOTHING will happen to the refs but just a slap on the wrist and they will be paid as usual. The 'heads' want the Roosters to win and so therefore the Roosters won.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
If the finals showed anything, it was that there is general ref incompetence across the board rather than going against a handful of clubs

I will never buy into the not wanting a nz team to win argument, because Greenberg is all about the $$$$ and the Warriors winning would create massive revenue

JJ

Immortal
Worth noting that some of the Kiwis in the GF were awesome tbh...

SST, JWH, CNK in particular... but also Liu, Manu, Rapana, Tapine, Soliola were very strong

Wighton was immense - glad he won the Churchill medal...

And how good was Morris - almost like he could have won the medal if it went to a Rooster - really two teams that 1-17 put in a huge (and hugely skilled) effort - and one minute of brilliance from Keary and Mitchell was the difference,,,

Despite disliking both teams, that was a great Grand Final IMO

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
See it’s come out JWH was waiting by the stage to receive his Churchill Medal after being informed he won it, then they called out Wightons name lol, only in the NRL

Blair

Coach
The most insulting call of the day came from the commentator, Ray Warren: 'almost an Origin-type atmosphere here'.

On another note I was surprised seeing Manu there with Ayshford as retiring players. I'd obviously lost track of Manu's career, post-NRL. I thought he'd finished up last year, whilst this year was all DWTS and stuff?

Maloney retiring too, two ex-Warriors, who both played a GF for us on that very ground, many moons ago.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
BJ was lazy after the tackle that lead to that try.

I think you'll always get a bit of that, with him. He carries a bit of weight, in case you didn't notice. However, on balance, he's a great centre. I had deja vu of Big Mal, when he had the ball. He's actually more fleet-footed than Mal ever was.

He had some off-field grub stuff very early in his NRL career. I think he turned that around and became a better man. I'd have him in the centres at the Warriors in a heartbeat. Our centres have been a crutch for us for years. Even in 2011 we had makeshift centres in Lewis Brown, and it didn't really improve from that. In fact, with Kata and a 'clownish' Hurrell, it got worse.

This year we found Herbert, and he should become a good one, under the right guidance.

What is truly amazing is Sam Verrills, played 13 games before grand final and not only scores a great hooker try, but is not a weakness in defense.
Raiders kept bombing to Morris all night, must of thought that was their weakness.
Defending for 10mins a man down and then not to tire at the back end, a very professional team, that players will take unders (including under the table) to play at the club.

SJ to get a release and go to Roosters to replace Copper?

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
Has he signed somewhere else??

Well with Johnson, Luke and, believe it or not, Kata gone then Herbert's our goal-kicker. So, if he's gone, then someone else needs to be lined up.

What a club.

TheDMC

Bench
I’m at a complete loss how people can think Cronk shouldn’t have been sin binned. one on one with papilli nearthe line, early tackles that made it impossible for Josh to catch the ball. Gus and Johns were saying shouldn’t haven’t been a sin bin, for ridiculous reasons such as size discrepancy and it was only a fraction early. f**k me, doesn’t matter if Cronk is a midget and the tackle is a nanosecond too early that is a professional foul every day of the week.