What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2022

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That first half grand final hoodoo turning into a huge ape on Parra’s back.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That penalty to make it 12-0 killed you! But then I think Penrith were worthy of scoring 42 points also.
Yeah the game didn’t play out like I thought it would but Parra managed to flatter themselves with the consolation tries after Penrith went into party mode

Rich102

Staff member
Did we sack him or just not offer him a good enough deal? I seem to remember we only offered one year and he wanted more. Still, the biggest f**k up in club history.
Closely followed by getting rid of Gus. He, after all, set up the Panthers succession run. What a record winners. Winners of every men's competition in 2022. Going to be hard to compete against.

JJ

Immortal
Losing Api will be a big adjustment for them, he is such quality - but they have sound replacements, a terrific squad and you'd think their halves will get better - that first half was next level, so clinical. I see a lot of bitchiness about them, I am biased but I don't see the same cynicism in their play as I did with the Storm, not the salary cheating of the Storm (actual) and innovation of the Roosters...

I thought in 91 they were heading this way, then tragedy undid them - and the Gould, Alexander, Geyer, Cartwright, Fittler Carter, et al would be dynasty didn't eventuate - Gould came back and now we have a Gould, Cleary, Luai, Yeo, Crichton et al dynasty - pretty dominant club at every male level atm

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Closely followed by getting rid of Gus. He, after all, set up the Panthers succession run. What a record winners. Winners of every men's competition in 2022. Going to be hard to compete against.
Did we get rid of Gus? It wasn't spun that way, but who knows what actually went on. The way it was reported was that his role became untenable due to Covid restrictions.

Blair

Coach
Did we sack him or just not offer him a good enough deal? I seem to remember we only offered one year and he wanted more. Still, the biggest f**k up in club history.
Penrith aren't immune from stupidity either, remember they sacked Ivan too. But when the opportunity came to hire him back they jumped at it. Us? We passed his second-coming over in favour of Kearney (I recall).

Blair

Coach
Did we get rid of Gus? It wasn't spun that way, but who knows what actually went on. The way it was reported was that his role became untenable due to Covid restrictions.
Possibly unteneble too because of alpha-male restrictions.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
the the alpha male bullshit wasn't an issue for Gould, it was just a matter of time - sadly he'd have been the guy to have as our alpha male for a few years (given it seems this alpha make schtick is something central to Warriors culture)

Penrose_11

Juniors
I am liking the fact that our ‘alpha male’ has stayed outa media for last 5-6 weeks tho. Long may it last

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Penrith aren't immune from stupidity either, remember they sacked Ivan too. But when the opportunity came to hire him back they jumped at it. Us? We passed his second-coming over in favour of Kearney (I recall).
Yep, we did. Ivan was ready to come back when we signed Kearney, and from memory was quoted as saying so. In 2011 there was an argument for not re-signing Ivan, as we were on the edge of the eight, had been poor in 2009 (for good reasons) and bog average in 2010. But when we signed Kearney over him, it was a clear sign that Watson had an agenda that continues to f**k us to this day.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We finished 5th in 2010...
Bog average is the wrong word, but the feeling around that season wasn't one of massive acclaim, either. We weren't in the 8 for around half the year, then got dominated in the first week of the finals and dropped out because 6th and 7th won. Back then we were spoiled, and that season felt like a letdown after 07/08. Then in round 17 next year, we weren't in the 8 again and I remember there was a feeling like we were going nowhere.

So as I said, there was certainly an argument for not re-signing Ivan, but only if you had something better lined up. Not Bluey McClennan with a total of zero NRL games coached.

Blair

Coach
Bog average is the wrong word, but the feeling around that season wasn't one of massive acclaim, either. We weren't in the 8 for around half the year, then got dominated in the first week of the finals and dropped out because 6th and 7th won...
What a memory, Ivan was seconds away from texting the team, 'see you Monday at training!', when the hapless Tigers blew that defensive scrum and let Easts steal it at the death.

There's a real character in town, an 80+ Eels fan, who gets around, through thick and thin, in full Eels get-up. He looks like he's ready to take the field, and more.

Yesterday, in the supermarket check-out line at work, he was discussing the GF and after complaining that the Panthers had '90% of possession with untold six-agains' he then proclaimed in a big loud voice for everyone to hear, 'and Nathan Cleary f***ed the ref after the game'. What a crack-up, even little old ladies laughed.

Truth is, my deep, trusty Eels source, who also came in yesterday, said the Eels 'just weren't good enough' and that they're 'looking for a clean-out' as they have 'too many slow players'. I found that interesting.

Latest posts