What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Games

Gareth67

First Grade
Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Cowboys fall apart like a scotch finger biscuit that's had an overlong dunking in weak tea.
Hoping Souffs get up for no other reason than that we will get an ARL Grand Final.
Bazza , that doesn’t sound like you , thought that you would go for the underdog ? The Eels were very fortunate to have their first try allowed . The pass was well forward , but not according to the ref - nor the bunker for that matter .

Still perhaps Parra will have a bit more class than the Cowboys against tomorrow’s winner . Hoping that it’s not Penrith , but the Rabbitohs , at least it will then be a far more enjoyable match to watch with each team on par as far as ability is concerned .

jeffdragon

Bench
Cows stuffed it.They had chances and blew it esp when the knocked on at 20-12.
Sorry can't cheer for any team with M. Moses or gutto in it.
Did see our new assistant Ryan Carr on the field afterwards.

Bazza , that doesn’t sound like you , thought that you would go for the underdog ? The Eels were very fortunate to have their first try allowed . The pass was well forward , but not according to the ref - nor the bunker for that matter .
I didn't see the first half, but the Cows got the benefit of a few 50/50 calls in the second half. They also got away with some very late tackles on Moses after kicks - which I thought the refs had been cracking down on. Didn't we have someone sent to the bin for a similar challenge?
I don't care much for Parra, either - I just got tired of the Cowboys hype. And no more Kyle Feldt for the rest of the year can only be a good thing.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The TV channels in Qld will play over and over and over, the Moses pass for weeks. And you can bet it will be on the front page of the newspapers with a circle around the pass where it was thrown ....but were deathly quiet and showed bugger all on the news when Holmes took a dive which imo cost The Sharks a try and a win late in the game a few weeks ago......what do they say what goes around comes around....and i agree with Number of the Beath the last we will see of Feldt is great.....that bloke is a complete pain in the arse

Gareth67

First Grade
I didn't see the first half, but the Cows got the benefit of a few 50/50 calls in the second half. They also got away with some very late tackles on Moses after kicks - which I thought the refs had been cracking down on. Didn't we have someone sent to the bin for a similar challenge?
I don't care much for Parra, either - I just got tired of the Cowboys hype. And no more Kyle Feldt for the rest of the year can only be a good thing.
As others have mentioned the Cowboys did have their chances , but failed to turn them in to points. I think that they thought the game was theirs at the 60 minute mark and took their foot of the peddle somewhat.

However they certainly had a tremendous season and will only get better next year . Best of luck to the Eels for next weeks grand final .

justadragon

Bench
You would have to be happy if you are a Penrith supporter, Grand Finalists and winners across multiple grades, they will be a powerhouse club for many years to come, plus have the pick of all juniors. To think we have just as big a nursery plus a better known brand and yet we consistently come up with zero, if only our BOD and management had some envy and pride instead of mediocrity, oh well I'll just watch the panthers carve up for the next 3-5 years.

Dragon David

First Grade
You would have to be happy if you are a Penrith supporter, Grand Finalists and winners across multiple grades, they will be a powerhouse club for many years to come, plus have the pick of all juniors. To think we have just as big a nursery plus a better known brand and yet we consistently come up with zero, if only our BOD and management had some envy and pride instead of mediocrity, oh well I'll just watch the panthers carve up for the next 3-5 years.
It certainly looks as if it will be as you have portrayed it justa. The pathways and development of the Panthers players in all grades and the experience gained in the past few years not only with the players themselves but the coaching and mentoring staff will mean that whomever leaves and comes to that club will prosper (players, coaches, trainers, conditioners etc.)

It is a club that has looked to the future with very good planning and economics and building their reputation for generations to come. No wonder the likes of the Cleary clan (father and son) are tied to the club for many years and most probably remaining there until retired. Having those two there will ensure top 4 for many years.

I am really hoping that once the Dragon's Centre of Excellence is opened and by that time we have some sort of stability and the BOD can see "reality", then we might be somewhat improved as a club in general and the future looking brighter. We can only hope that the Dragons management will "change their attitude" and strive for success and mediocrity will be a word of the past.

justadragon

Bench
It certainly looks as if it will be as you have portrayed it justa. The pathways and development of the Panthers players in all grades and the experience gained in the past few years not only with the players themselves but the coaching and mentoring staff will mean that whomever leaves and comes to that club will prosper (players, coaches, trainers, conditioners etc.)

It is a club that has looked to the future with very good planning and economics and building their reputation for generations to come. No wonder the likes of the Cleary clan (father and son) are tied to the club for many years and most probably remaining there until retired. Having those two there will ensure top 4 for many years.

I am really hoping that once the Dragon's Centre of Excellence is opened and by that time we have some sort of stability and the BOD can see "reality", then we might be somewhat improved as a club in general and the future looking brighter. We can only hope that the Dragons management will "change their attitude" and strive for success and mediocrity will be a word of the past.
I hope you are right Dave, the Panthers have really got their act together and I also think that the Eels are not too far behind, somewhere along the line we lost the plot especially in our junior programs, and even if we have some really good ones we either cant seem to keep them or they are mismanaged until they leave. With everything that is going on atm I'm fearful we wont see Sloane or Sullivan around for much longer, also what has happened to our junior up and comers in the forwards, all this talk about Fifita's and Haas etc we dont even now what we have in our own back yard. Our KOE cup side this year was pretty ordinary and that leads to issues in the NRL, i'd like to see who the coach is for next year.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Panthers are by far the benchmark and just a very well run club. They will be a force for years to come under this leadership and management of the club. Gould will take the credit I am sure but they excelled once he left and have now made 3 GF's since. Did i mention during Gus they sacked Cleary and hired Hook for a couple of years....wow.

Penrith have so much talent coming through and having them be successful will hopefully lead the way for teams to start producing their own rather than poach other teams juniors. It may be a good omen as when Hook gets sacked, the team usually make a GF the following year or 2. Hopefully Saints get the same luck as the Bronco's and Panthers.

Dragon David

First Grade
I hope you are right Dave, the Panthers have really got their act together and I also think that the Eels are not too far behind, somewhere along the line we lost the plot especially in our junior programs, and even if we have some really good ones we either cant seem to keep them or they are mismanaged until they leave. With everything that is going on atm I'm fearful we wont see Sloane or Sullivan around for much longer, also what has happened to our junior up and comers in the forwards, all this talk about Fifita's and Haas etc we dont even now what we have in our own back yard. Our KOE cup side this year was pretty ordinary and that leads to issues in the NRL, i'd like to see who the coach is for next year.
Yes we always appear to be a work in progress and rather than pick up speed and aspire to get ahead, we linger and lag and stagnate because there has been a total lack of aspirations and inspiration and an eagerness to get this bloody club above the mediocre level insofar as league is concerned. Average players and coaches will result in average results.

There just doesn't appear to be any professionalism attached to the running of the club where good vision, high level skills and expertise is required. If our juniors and even some of the senior players can see this then if the opportunity presents itself, any reasonable offer from other clubs could see these young ones go. Of course if these young ones see blatant favouritism then they will feel unwanted which takes away their spirits and desire to succeed at the club.

Except for 2018, when they were the wooden spooners, the Eels have been in the top 6 since 2017. If they win the GF in 2022, they could maintain being top 6 for some years but on the other hand, if they lose, which is what I think will happen, they might suffer some set backs. They will lose several very good players after this year so this could have a bearing on how they go next year.

It isn't likely that we will sign players like Fifita and Haas. We will sign a couple of guys but of average rating in my opinion and this will not do anything to get us in a better position than where we finished this year. The Bulldogs and Tigers finished below us this year and I see both being more improved and above us on the table next year.

The management of club has said they won't release Sloan. However, if Sullivan requests a release, they might agree particularly if Hunt re-signs as our half back and we have a number of guys already to cover the hooker position. I think we do need Sullivan as back up like Sloan. Will he be patient though to wait his turn, we will just have to wait and see.

The club has to work on getting and keeping the best to be a force.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
You can bag Gould (and he has his agendas) but the ground work was put in during his tenure at the club, it just didn't happen and credit to Gould who "sacked" Cleary cause he thought he wasnt up to it and hired Hook but moved him on ASAP, he reacted accordingly,at least you can see that he wants the club to improve and reach its potential yet our board the worse you go the more extensions you get, give me GOULD with all his faults over our "morons"

Dragon David

First Grade
You can bag Gould (and he has his agendas) but the ground work was put in during his tenure at the club, it just didn't happen and credit to Gould who "sacked" Cleary cause he thought he wasnt up to it and hired Hook but moved him on ASAP, he reacted accordingly,at least you can see that he wants the club to improve and reach its potential yet our board the worse you go the more extensions you get, give me GOULD with all his faults over our "morons"
The BOD called in Gould to do a "quasi review" on the football team and in particular to provide comment on Mary. What they should have done was to get Gould's signature to be the Director of football at the Dragons in 2019 and get him doing what he did at Penrith and now at the Dogs. Opportunity gone begging. Mr Gordon would not have had any influence though not like the Laundy's for the Bulldogs.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, Ivan Cleary after 295 games at Warriors, Penrith (1st time), Tigers at a win % of 47%. Yep about Mary win rate haha.

Then Panthers knew to keep Nathan at the Panthers; dad had to return. So Nathan walked back into the Panthers now with a wonderful roster and bing go he is a genius coach at 77%. Good luck to Ivan.

I could regale this forum examples of coaches that go from genius to also rans back to genius Depending on the clubs roster.

Motto is it pays to coach a high profile team with big $$$ and the top cattle in the roster. Want to be a great coach have the great players!

Roosters roster is amazing of all clubs in my view.