What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL halts Bird's secret return

NRL halts Bird's secret return

By David Riccio | February 15, 2009 12:00am

<DIV class="article-body rank1" id=article-body>
0,,6486769,00.jpg
Failed plan ... Greg Bird had planned to play for the Newtown Jets. / The Sunday Telegraph

SACKED Test star Greg Bird had a secret plan to play against his former Cronulla team-mates yesterday quashed at the final hour. Bird and his management team tried to bend the rules and have the former Sharks five-eighth play for the Newtown Jets in a trial match against Cronulla at Henson Park. It would have been his first game in six months.
NRL administrators were privately fuming that Bird, on the advice of his manager Gavin Orr, aimed to deceive the NRL and take on his former team-mates.
It is understood that Orr contacted Newtown officials on Friday evening, only hours after Bird was denied a UK work visa to allow him play in the English Super League.
By aiming to play, Bird went against terms of his release from Cronulla that state he cannot play for another NRL club.
Competing in the NSWRL competition, which is considered to come under the NRL umbrella, the Newtown Jets are a direct feeder club to the Roosters.

When made aware by The Sunday Telegraph that Bird, and his management, were attempting to flout the rules, NSWRL general manager and ARL chief executive Geoff Carr contacted Newtown officials to block the move.
Carr also phoned NRL chief executive David Gallop, who backed the moves to prevent Bird from taking the field.
"We got in contact with the Newtown club and it appeared to be factual,'' Carr said of Bird's plan.
"We've said to the Newtown club that Greg Bird is currently an unregistered player.
"Given the circumstances of his particular case, he would need to apply for registration and only then would it be duly considered.
"At real short notice like this, we don't know what the deed of release with Cronulla was.
"We don't know what restrictions are there, if any, about where he can and can't play. And without having an application for registration, we reserve the right not to allow him to play today.''
Cronulla Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia was shocked when told of Bird's attempt to play against the Sharks.
"I'm surprised and quite astounded, actually, that Greg and his manager would attempt to play for Newtown based on the terms of his release from the club,'' Zappia said.
Despite yesterday's thwarted attempt, Bird is expected to lodge a formal application to play with Newtown in the NSWRL competition.
"Terry tells me there will be a contract on my desk on Monday morning which will start that process,'' Carr said.
"Terry's of the view that if he's allowed to play under the deed of release from Cronulla, in another competition, then he's pretty keen for him to get a game.
"We can't allow him to play until we've gone through that process.
"At the end of the day, if everyone thinks that's a good idea, well he might be playing next week.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25055831-5006066,00.html

The Tank

Bench
Before I say this I think Bird is a scumbag and I don't feel sorry for him at all... but... whilst I don't want to see him in the NRL I think playing for Newtown (and Newtown only... not the Roosters) wouldn't be too bad. His fault I know, but it's his career. Of course if Cronulla say no then that's that but I can't see much harm in letting him at least play grade footy (same goes for Carney).

Spike

First Grade
Before I say this I think Bird is a scumbag and I don't feel sorry for him at all... but... whilst I don't want to see him in the NRL I think playing for Newtown (and Newtown only... not the Roosters) wouldn't be too bad. His fault I know, but it's his career. Of course if Cronulla say no then that's that but I can't see much harm in letting him at least play grade footy (same goes for Carney).

My concern would be that he would delibrately attempt to injury Sharks players to get back at the club. Not his mates, but Sharks players that he felt indifferent to.

stuke

Bench
Bird needs to pull his head in.

if he feels what he is doing is right why the cloak and dagger behind the scenes operations?

he couldn't lie straight in bed.

adamkungl

Immortal
My concern would be that he would delibrately attempt to injury Sharks players to get back at the club. Not his mates, but Sharks players that he felt indifferent to.

:lol:

Still, Bird at Newtown is far too close to Roosters for comfort. Don't want him, I can't comprehend having to support that germ.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Gavin Orr is as much to blame for this as Bird.

No-one will support Bird in his attempt to return to the NRL but from the outside, it appears that Bird and Orr have been less than truthful regarding quite a few things.

I wouldn't trust either of them, they both appear to be dishonest and this is their just deserts.

Bird will now attempt to register in a womens comp...
At least he has history there on getting 'all tough' with the women.

BIRD + ORR = SCUM

mik01

Juniors
this guy is like a bad smell - the NRL have to act decisively and cut Bird loose from all Australian competition - this type of crap is damaging the game the longer it goes on...

bartman

Immortal
lol @ Bird. Dumbass.

Can't blame the guy for wanting to get in a few games on the outside, before he ends up captaining the prison bluebags...

greg

Juniors
I don't think the club needs the negative aspect that comes with him. A big "No thanks" from me.

Thought I heard 2GB/UE 7pm news say he will be playing for newtown

As greg said, 'No thanks', im sure many of the supporters of the Jets would not want Bird going to Newtown. They have a very proud history as one of the foundation clubs and im sure having a guy like bird on their roster would be somewhat tarnish this.

sydraider

First Grade
Anasta to lock

Bird to 5/8

Carney to half

Pearce off to Manly.

Mason salivating at party prospects, all the pieces fit.