What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL intervention?

westerntiger

Juniors
Is it time for Rugby League Central to dismiss the Tigers board/executives and take over the running of the club? The comments made by Lee Hagipantelis yesterday once again show that the board is catastrophically out of touch and cares more about running the club as a business than as a successful football side.

We have one of the larger fan bases of the Sydney clubs and we are continually treated with contempt by the board and CEO. Obviously NRL intervention will not have an immediate impact on player performances but it's clear that the culture at the club is rotten to the core and it's impossible to see us playing finals in the foreseeable future.

Thoughts?

Tigerm

First Grade
No it’s not time and never will be.

We’re all frustrated about the results, but it has only been 2 games.

There are many clubs who have had worst starts than us, e.g I think Easts some years ago lost something like 18 games straight?

We had a great recruitment drive this year, I’m not a Sheens fan, but we have no options but to see if he can turn it around? Bar results, the club is one of strongest performers in the league, I hope we get it right sooner rather than later though, like all of us want.

Bukowski

Juniors
No it’s not time and never will be.

We’re all frustrated about the results, but it has only been 2 games.

There are many clubs who have had worst starts than us, e.g I think Easts some years ago lost something like 18 games straight?

We had a great recruitment drive this year, I’m not a Sheens fan, but we have no options but to see if he can turn it around? Bar results, the club is one of strongest performers in the league, I hope we get it right sooner rather than later though, like all of us want.
Bar results, we're one of the strongest performers.

Did you really just say that?

Tigerm

First Grade
Bar results, we're one of the strongest performers.

Did you really just say that?
No, I wrote it.

Please let me know what areas we are weak in?

Membership, crowds, financially, facilities, management all seem pretty strong to me?
I would like to see the board changed, but that won't happen.

All bar results, which I agree is the most important, but that will come, though I (like all of us) just don't know when.

Last edited:

Bukowski

Juniors
No, I wrote it.

Please let me know what areas we are weak in?

Membership, crowds, financially, facilities, management all seem pretty strong to me?
I would like to see the board changed, but that won't happen.

All bar results, which I agree is the most important, but that will come, though I (like all of us) just don't know when.
Management is strong? Your a really optimistic person to call the club a strong performer.

Tigerm

First Grade
Management is strong? Your a really optimistic person to call the club a strong performer.
Not optimistic, just a realist, I think you are thinking board rather than management as it’s a fact we are performing very well outside of terrible results.

I agree the board need to step aside, but as I stated earlier I don’t think that will probably happen?

Bukowski

Juniors
Not optimistic, just a realist, I think you are thinking board rather than management as it’s a fact we are performing very well outside of terrible results.

I agree the board need to step aside, but as I stated earlier I don’t think that will probably happen?
Management allowed Sheens to appoint himself as coach and 2 blokes that have never coached at any level. I think Pascoe and Lee are football ignorant.
They tell us we're successful because of finances yet never release the financial reports. Wests Ashfield gave the club $1mill last year so I don't how profitable we are. Sounds like bs to me.

Tigerm

First Grade
Management allowed Sheens to appoint himself as coach and 2 blokes that have never coached at any level. I think Pascoe and Lee are football ignorant.
They tell us we're successful because of finances yet never release the financial reports. Wests Ashfield gave the club $1mill last year so I don't how profitable we are. Sounds like bs to me.
I don’t disagree, but those senior appointment decisions are at board level. For me, that is the problem, which won’t be fixed anytime soon.

I certainly would agree we made a catastrophic mistake in appointing Sheens and Co, personally I would have liked to see Madge with this group (without Brooks and keep Jacko), but it didn’t pan out, so we just gotta hope the Sheenius can turn it around?

WA giving a $1m is not enough to cover Brooks salary?
All clubs have a benefactor BTW, as you know, Lee’s company is the major corporate sponsor of the club, but looking at the key indicators of the club (which was my original comment), we are quite sound except for the footy results, but results will come hopefully, probably, eventually soon. Just don’t know when.

Last edited:

Exsilium

First Grade
I'd like to see the football side turn it around, mainly for the fans and not for the board. Only issue I see is that if the results dont come, sacking a coach and starting again is just a serious case of Deja Vu for most fans.

If Sheens and Co fail, the only way to win over the hearts and minds of the fans would be to see notable change from top to bottom.

During the Matt Elliot years, I hated how erratic we were. We got Hook in and the one notable improvement was that we were competitive most weeks. This was enough for me and it gave me hope. For the Tigers, I feel that stability and consistency is the greater need, with flair and showmanship being somewhat unnecessary to the fans.

Demonstrate the club isn't a complete basket case and the culture will change.

Bukowski

Juniors
I don’t disagree, but those senior appointment decisions are at board level. For me, that is the problem, which won’t be fixed anytime soon.

I certainly would agree we made a catastrophic mistake in appointing Sheens and Co, personally I would have liked to see Madge with this group (without Brooks and keep Jacko), but it didn’t pan out, so we just gotta hope the Sheenius can turn it around?

WA giving a $1m is not enough to cover Brooks salary?
All clubs have a benefactor BTW, as you know, Lee’s company is the major corporate sponsor of the club, but looking at the key indicators of the club (which was my original comment), we are quite sound except for the footy results, but results will come hopefully, probably, eventually soon. Just don’t know when.
Sheens appointed himself and the coaches mate. The CEO should have stopped that before it even went to the board.

Tigerm

First Grade
Sheens appointed himself and the coaches mate. The CEO should have stopped that before it even went to the board.
The CEO may have agreed with it, not sure we had a lot of options, I could imagine Sheens put a very persuasive plan to them, a lot of people were talking about how great he was at the time and the board would have probably been wetting them selves to get him on board with that experience, they did after all appoint him as head of football, but you’ll get no argument from me, that it was the wrong decision.
Though I will say, Sheens did bring some good footy players here over the off season, time will tell if he is past it?

WA Tiger

Bench
The CEO may have agreed with it, not sure we had a lot of options,
Of course Pascoe agreed with Sheens taking over?
There were other far better options. We just had a couple of clueless, weak pricks who thought they’d push for the option where they could let sheens take all the responsibility, so they didn't have to make any hard decisions and they can hide behind what sheens decides.Well guess what, there’s always hard decisions that have to be made and they cant hide now..

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
After Sheens told everyone that he only wanted Ciraldo, most decent options pulled out?

Maybe, probably that was his intention, but who knows.

Anyway, I’m not a fan of his, but it’s only been 2 games, we have no choice but wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Are you serious?
Siebold for starters ..Manly are top of the table.
Flanagan
Payton before he went to the warriors
The list goes on..
But no after being terrified of pushing for an experienced and proven coach they went for Benji…wake up and stop backing these fools..
Like the man said they took this whole proposal to the board

It's almost impossible for any club not to be profitable in 2023. The NRL gives each club the exact amount of the salary cap every year to pay the players in the top 30. On top of that they provide another 3 to 4 million to each club annually as a grant to assist in running the club. This was designed to stop clubs going broke and running cap in hand to the NRL asking for a 'loan' to keep them afloat. We have done this, as have saints and the sharks to name a few.

Then it just depends on sponsorship and membership money, gate takings, and how much money you can get in merch, against what you're willing to spend on admin and junior development.

Some of the management decisions I have an issue with:

1. Building the centre of excellence at Concord rather than SW Sydney. It should be clear that our junior development and identity should be focused in this area. Not saying we abandon the inner city area, just focus more heavily in SW Sydney.

2. Not having 1 home ground. Multiple home grounds were needed at the start of the merger but a decision needed to be made at least 15 years ago about our location. Again, we could have focused on SW Sydney and would have most likely been able to leverage the govt into at least partially paying for a new home ground there. It's clear this is very unlikely to happen at LO anytime in the short to mid term. A lot of people will say we don't draw crowds in SW Sydney, but I think the reason for this is we haven't even tried.

3. Because of the above we haven't been able to establish any real identity. This hasn't helped in attracting players over the years.

4. Hanging onto the past. Watching the tigers win the comp was one of the best 6 month periods of my life. However, the path to future success does not lay in what happened 18 years ago. Constantly going back to the well isn't going to produce the same result.

5. Inviting TV cameras into a club that was clearly going to struggle, for all to see the deficiencies. That was an embarrassment. It was clear it was going to look bad and it did.

There's nothing wrong with recognising the past, and having the former emblems on the back of the jersey, maybe have 1 game at LO a year, but we need to let go of the past to have a productive future. BTW I come from the Balmain side of the merger if you thought I was an embittered Maggie.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's almost impossible for any club not to be profitable in 2023. The NRL gives each club the exact amount of the salary cap every year to pay the players in the top 30. On top of that they provide another 3 to 4 million to each club annually as a grant to assist in running the club. This was designed to stop clubs going broke and running cap in hand to the NRL asking for a 'loan' to keep them afloat. We have done this, as have saints and the sharks to name a few.

Then it just depends on sponsorship and membership money, gate takings, and how much money you can get in merch, against what you're willing to spend on admin and junior development.

Some of the management decisions I have an issue with:

1. Building the centre of excellence at Concord rather than SW Sydney. It should be clear that our junior development and identity should be focused in this area. Not saying we abandon the inner city area, just focus more heavily in SW Sydney.

2. Not having 1 home ground. Multiple home grounds were needed at the start of the merger but a decision needed to be made at least 15 years ago about our location. Again, we could have focused on SW Sydney and would have most likely been able to leverage the govt into at least partially paying for a new home ground there. It's clear this is very unlikely to happen at LO anytime in the short to mid term. A lot of people will say we don't draw crowds in SW Sydney, but I think the reason for this is we haven't even tried.

3. Because of the above we haven't been able to establish any real identity. This hasn't helped in attracting players over the years.

4. Hanging onto the past. Watching the tigers win the comp was one of the best 6 month periods of my life. However, the path to future success does not lay in what happened 18 years ago. Constantly going back to the well isn't going to produce the same result.

5. Inviting TV cameras into a club that was clearly going to struggle, for all to see the deficiencies. That was an embarrassment. It was clear it was going to look bad and it did.

There's nothing wrong with recognising the past, and having the former emblems on the back of the jersey, maybe have 1 game at LO a year, but we need to let go of the past to have a productive future. BTW I come from the Balmain side of the merger if you thought I was an embittered Maggie.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway.
Totally agree with ur critique of our deplorable head office & their perpetually diabolical judgement & im also from the Balmain side & couldn’t care less whether we ever play at LO again coz we need to cease been amateurish nomads asap.