What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL investigating property transaction between Eels prop Darcy Lussick and a company

Chipmunk

Coach
Nothing probably. But the insinuation is that he may purchased the property below market value, and if so that discount may be assessable for salary cap purposes. But...the player's manager suggests that the NRL were informed of the deal at the time. Obviously the NRL have some outstanding questions, but they may well just be in regard to trifling details. Or maybe the NRL knew about the purchase, but didn't know that the property had been initially purchased by the O'Beids for $30k more than they sold it to Lussick? We'll find out next week I guess.

Surely what a player purchases a property for cannot be considered under the Salary Cap. Even if he buys it for $1 their is no law in the land that says that someone has to sell something to someone else for a certain value.

If the Obeids want to buy a property for $2 million and then sell it to Darcy Lussick for $50 then who really cares, it's a third party deal between Obeid and Lussick.

Although I do believe the NRL gets a 15% cut of Third Party Deals...So perhaps the NRL just wants to make sure they've leached enough from the players. Parasites.

Btw, they're not Irish Baz (O'Beids)

strider

Post Whore
so you'd be happy with all the eastern suburbs richies to buy their way to countless premierships by gifting players who come to the roosters houses, cars, etc etc?

Surely what a player purchases a property for cannot be considered under the Salary Cap. Even if he buys it for $1 their is no law in the land that says that someone has to sell something to someone else for a certain value.

If the Obeids want to buy a property for $2 million and then sell it to Darcy Lussick for $50 then who really cares, it's a third party deal between Obeid and Lussick.

Although I do believe the NRL gets a 15% cut of Third Party Deals...So perhaps the NRL just wants to make sure they've leached enough from the players. Parasites.

Btw, they're not Irish Baz (O'Beids)

No, they can buy/sell for whatever they like (the transaction is perfectly legal)....but...if I sell you a $10 bill for $8 bucks that $2 profit is assessable......and similarly if you sell someone an asset at a discount that can be considered as income for various purposes.

Think of it this way. If a Storm sponsor or third party bought a car for $50k and sold it to C Smith for $10, the transaction in itself is perfectly legal. However, both the ATO and the NRL may rightly think twice about its effect on C Smith's taxable income and the Storm's cap expenditure.

But as you say.....the other issue is the nature of the 3rd party deal (sponsor / non-sponsor etc).