What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL issue Penrith breach notice over trainer incident

NRL breach notice to Panthers​

National Rugby League | September 21 2021 12:44PM

The National Rugby League (NRL) has issued the Penrith Panthers with a Breach Notice proposing the Club be fined $25,000 and the Club's Orange Trainer suspended from accessing the field of play and sideline for the remainder of the 2021 season after an alleged breach of the game's Operations Manual.

The Breach Notice alleges the Club's Orange Trainer stopped play incorrectly in the 76th minute of Saturday night's NRL Telstra Premiership Final against the Parramatta Eels.

The Manual makes it clear that a Head Trainer can only stop play after making an initial assessment that circumstances require a doctor to enter the field of play.

The NRL has also issued a warning to the Club's Blue Trainer for his role in the stoppage.

The club will be permitted to use an alternative staff member in the Orange trainer role for the remainder of the season to ensure the welfare of Panthers players.

The Panthers have 5 business days to respond to the Breach Notice. A provisional suspension applies until the Club's response has been received.

LINK: NRL breach notice to Panthers » League Unlimited

soc123_au

Staff member
They'll get the money from poker machines, froths Kenty.

Unfortunately, poker machines at Panthers and everywhere else have been silent for the best part of 3 months now, as they also were for a goodly chunk of 2020. Panthers licenced club is only open as a vaccination centre.
His point is right though. The 25k is wrist slap with a wet lettuce. The NRL can't do much more than that this season though. Hopefully the good thing that comes out of this is a plan to fix the gamesmanship and cynical coaching before next season kicks off.

soc123_au

Staff member
Except Burton ran a bad line and DID impede Moses. Outside shoulder, black and white.

After the farce we saw with the non-call on Dylan Brown the week before it's hardly a shock he or any other player in the NRL ensured the call after contact. Same as several players for both sides laying down because the refs are incompetent and miss high shots.

Does it suck? Yes. Hate it. Is it in the same realm as the trainer incident? Only for primary school imbeciles like that random sooky forby fella and senile ballsacks like GongPanther.

I just wish the NRL had come down on it earlier. Heaps of sides do it worse.
I agree they had to rule it as they did. It's a f**king terrible rule. Problem is when it was open to interpretation and common sense the officials f**ked it up. It's just an example of gamesmanship to exploit a rule.

The high shots is a tough one. Sorenson for example imo was genuinely rattled from the shot. How Klein missed it I'm f**ked if I know. The Fergo one and JFH one are the ones that need rubbing out.

I guess to make it like for like I'd have to go to the Waqa stoppage. He was already off the field behind the try line 50 metres from the play. I'll concede that it wasn't an edge of your seat try scoring chance like the Kenny one, but your trainer called time for a reason and it had f**k all to do with any danger to Waqa. Plenty of tries have been scored from halfway against a retreating 12 man defensive line. It was much earlier in the game, but a game with no 2nd half points makes the time mean bugger all imo. Not that it's overly relevant, but Waqa also came back and finished the game, Kenny will be on crutches for a while.

The_Frog

First Grade
Except Burton ran a bad line and DID impede Moses. Outside shoulder, black and white.
You've got a defensive line, right. On this occasion he ran to the inside shoulder of his opposite number, but between him and the next bloke, who was Moses, and through the line as you are supposed to do. If you run between two players it ALWAYS has to be on the outside shoulder of one of them. So why have the outside shoulder rule at all? Back in the mists of time, like last week, Moses tackling the lead runner like that would have been considered a defensive decision and the try awarded.

Because there was little media noise about this decision (surprise, surprise) Annesley didn't even comment on it.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I agree they had to rule it as they did. It's a f**king terrible rule. Problem is when it was open to interpretation and common sense the officials f**ked it up. It's just an example of gamesmanship to exploit a rule.

The high shots is a tough one. Sorenson for example imo was genuinely rattled from the shot. How Klein missed it I'm f**ked if I know. The Fergo one and JFH one are the ones that need rubbing out.

I guess to make it like for like I'd have to go to the Waqa stoppage. He was already off the field behind the try line 50 metres from the play. I'll concede that it wasn't an edge of your seat try scoring chance like the Kenny one, but your trainer called time for a reason and it had f**k all to do with any danger to Waqa. Plenty of tries have been scored from halfway against a retreating 12 man defensive line. It was much earlier in the game, but a game with no 2nd half points makes the time mean bugger all imo. Not that it's overly relevant, but Waqa also came back and finished the game, Kenny will be on crutches for a while.

Waqa was a HIA, the trainer had actually entered the field and was doing or had done an assessment back where he'd faceplanted like a mong when time was called.

The Penny bloke just said to the touchie from the sidelines "oi I think we should call this for a sec aye?"

Anyway I'm not really replying to agree or disagree and for me the issue is the practice more than the one incident, I just realised my last post omitted faux-intellectual mudskippers like The Flog and thought I'd tag on a vague effort at footy chat

soc123_au

Staff member
Waqa was a HIA, the trainer had actually entered the field and was doing or had done an assessment back where he'd faceplanted like a mong when time was called.

The Penny bloke just said to the touchie from the sidelines "oi I think we should call this for a sec aye?"

Anyway I'm not really replying to agree or disagree and for me the issue is the practice more than the one incident, I just realised my last post omitted faux-intellectual mudskippers like The Flog and thought I'd tag on a vague effort at footy chat
I agree that the practice needs to stop.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I struggle to see why the play has to stop at all unless
a) the player is seriously Injured and needs a stretcher
b) the player is in the way of play

if neither of the above play on like we did for generations! This has come about because of another knee jerk reaction to the ref not stopping play a couple of years ago.

Fangs

Coach
Glad they are punishing the trainers directly. We already have 34 players, along with a bunch of referees interfering. We don't need trainers doing this as well.

Knights and Dogs are the worst teams at it though.

Exsilium

First Grade
Don’t worry Eels fans, the hurt is temporary.

We will join you at the wake on Saturday night, right after our cremation.

gerg

Juniors
They should consider just having teams stop the game for injury when they have the ball, not when they are defending or when there is a legitimate break in play. Teams can go 10 minutes with a man down (sinbin) so surely they can go a set of six.

Knight76

Juniors
I'd like to hear cleary's voice comms to his head trainer at that time to see if he was instructing him to go stop the game. Very interested indeed!

I struggle to see why the play has to stop at all unless
a) the player is seriously Injured and needs a stretcher
b) the player is in the way of play

if neither of the above play on like we did for generations! This has come about because of another knee jerk reaction to the ref not stopping play a couple of years ago.

They need to review the rule that trainers can ask for play to stop as to me that was deliberate- the player had a foot injury in any case that even watching from home one could see.

The high shots is a tough one. Sorenson for example imo was genuinely rattled from the shot. How Klein missed it I'm f**ked if I know. The Fergo one and JFH one are the ones that need rubbing out
My problem with the whole situation is that you have to pretend to be injured to get a penalty. If the referees just penalised when someone broke the rules then players wouldn’t have to lie down or theatrically fall over.

Take the Moses example; if he stays on his feet and tries to go around Burton, he is disadvantaged and doesn’t make the tackle. But if the bunker looks at it they likely award the try because they will claim he wasn’t impacted. So he needs to fall over to ensure the try is not awarded.

Sorenson’s high tackle was the same (how did Klein miss that, he was a metre away), and even JFH’s was a foul.

When did we start blaming the victim?