What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL issue Penrith breach notice over trainer incident

NRL breach notice to Panthers​

National Rugby League | September 21 2021 12:44PM

The National Rugby League (NRL) has issued the Penrith Panthers with a Breach Notice proposing the Club be fined $25,000 and the Club's Orange Trainer suspended from accessing the field of play and sideline for the remainder of the 2021 season after an alleged breach of the game's Operations Manual.

The Breach Notice alleges the Club's Orange Trainer stopped play incorrectly in the 76th minute of Saturday night's NRL Telstra Premiership Final against the Parramatta Eels.

The Manual makes it clear that a Head Trainer can only stop play after making an initial assessment that circumstances require a doctor to enter the field of play.

The NRL has also issued a warning to the Club's Blue Trainer for his role in the stoppage.

The club will be permitted to use an alternative staff member in the Orange trainer role for the remainder of the season to ensure the welfare of Panthers players.

The Panthers have 5 business days to respond to the Breach Notice. A provisional suspension applies until the Club's response has been received.

LINK: NRL breach notice to Panthers » League Unlimited

Abacus

Juniors
haha loses sht at Storm winning finals when cheating, happy to see his club cheat to win a final. doh.
Who lost their shit? We weren't winning any of the comps the Storm had stripped from them...you might want to engage with Eels fans on this.

Chippy73

Bench
Yep, I'm not worried about replacing a genuinely injured player and winning a comp as a result. Clubs have won comps while cheating the cap, so this is minor in comparison.
Yeh but (replacing a genuinely injured player) is not the full story exactly, as evidenced by the trainer immediately going to the touchie telling him to stop play, i.e. if the injury was so obviously serious (i.e. knocked out, neck injury, compound fracture etc.) that stopping play was required the trainer would have rushed immediately to the player.

It's pretty obvious the trainers priority in order was;

1. making sure Penrith weren't disadvantaged.
2. the welfare of the player

Abacus

Juniors
Yeh but (replacing a genuinely injured player) is not the full story exactly, as evidenced by the trainer immediately going to the touchie telling him to stop play, i.e. if the injury was so obviously serious (i.e. knocked out, neck injury, compound fracture etc.) that stopping play was required the trainer would have rushed immediately to the player.

It's pretty obvious the trainers priority in order was;

1. making sure Penrith weren't disadvantaged.
2. the welfare of the player
I haven't heard any audio from coach to trainer or trainer to touchie so not sure what was said to the touchie or when (i.e. did he call to the touchie while running on to the field?), but way too many crocodile tears on here (not referring to you) about something thats not going to change.
There's also proximity of the injured player to the play to consider - wouldn't want the trainer getting in the way of Parra shifting it back to their right once Penrith had shut down their left. Stopping the play was the right call for the welfare of the player.

GongPanther

Referee
Penrith will do it again this weekend if given the opportunity and why wouldn't they?

25k is nothing, when you consider what's at stake.. some trainer who can easily be replaced has to sit out 2 weeks, who cares?
I'd like to know how and why the NRL came up with a $25k fine, rememer how much the coaches got fined an their actions were more serious, and suspending the trainer. Partially, the touchie must shoulder some of the blame as he would have been aware of the protocols.

dogslife

Coach
I'd like to know how and why the NRL came up with a $25k fine, rememer how much the coaches got fined an their actions were more serious, and suspending the trainer. Partially, the touchie must shoulder some of the blame as he would have been aware of the protocols.
Given the touchie would have been focusing on the game I doubt he was aware of the Penrith trainer's flagrant cheating

soc123_au

Staff member
To be fair to the touchie they dont see anything that happens on field any other time, I dont see how he could be expected to know the trainer hadn't been out there yet.

GongPanther

Referee
To be fair to the touchie they dont see anything that happens on field any other time, I dont see how he could be expected to know the trainer hadn't been out there yet.
I thought he brought the attention to the touchie, who then stopped play.

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
No iffffs no buttts the panthers got some luck and in some instances played outside the moral boundaries that I like in sport BUT don’t tell me for 1 minute that the eels didn’t do the same

on so many levels Moses is a disgrace and the eels got the result they deserved

Should have been penalised at best and a bin at worst. Happens in most games and regularly missed. What's your point?
You just made it , should have been penalised
Agree it happens all the time but how’s it missed by the refs

anyway your guys won and have a big game Saturday ?

your avatar is very scary …

No iffffs no buttts the panthers got some luck and in some instances played outside the moral boundaries that I like in sport BUT don’t tell me for 1 minute that the eels didn’t do the same

on so many levels Moses is a disgrace and the eels got the result they deserved
He’s a massive flog …

forby

Juniors
Why did they check Nadens try for offside, but not Blake’s?
Why did they stop the game for a player off the field?
Why did they not play advantage and allow Luaiu’s try when Parramatta were penalised from the scrum?
Why wasn’t the Ferguson penalty reversed when the fake was so blatant?

You can find fault with decisions both ways if you look hard enough!

Bazal

Post Whore
Why did they check Nadens try for offside, but not Blake’s?
Why did they stop the game for a player off the field?
Why did they not play advantage and allow Luaiu’s try when Parramatta were penalised from the scrum?
Why wasn’t the Ferguson penalty reversed when the fake was so blatant?

You can find fault with decisions both ways if you look hard enough!

Especially if you look as a salty as f**k Penrith fan in the middle of a day's long toddler tantrum over his perfect group of premiership winning angels being found to have done the wrong thing