What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL market watch: Matt Moylan rewarded at Sharks, Jordan McLean set for new deal at Cowboys

Frenzy.

Immortal
Matt Moylan will set his sights on a career covering more than 200 NRL games after extending his future at the Sharks.
What seemed physically impossible only 12 months ago, Moylan’s renewed focus and steel has been rewarded with a new two-year deal at Cronulla.

Moylan, 31, has agreed to terms on the two-year contract that will provide the 161-gamer with the opportunity to reach a memorable 200-game milestone.
Influential in the Sharks rain-soaked win over the Bulldogs, Moylan has produced a remarkable job to restore the belief in his body and ability.

Flawed by hamstring and calf issues, Moylan was unable to train over back-to-back days last year.

Yet with the faith of Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon, Moylan has transformed his attention towards training, extras and diet.
He has rediscovered his damaging running game and struck a formidable attacking combination with Nicho Hynes to catapult the Sharks into the top-four.

The former NSW Origin player has played every game this season with Saturday’s 15th appearance the best start to a season since helping steer the Sharks to a preliminary final in 2018.

shaggs

Coach
Tricky was pretty good for the jets today. There is no doubt he can play.
maybe Wayne would run him at 6. The dolphins other option is only 18 and never played a senior game

coolumsharkie

Referee
He's been really good, Hynes/Moylan combo works really well and Fitz will bring through Dykes who can play a number of positions and will play FG next year I'd say.
Trindall could be a handy ball playing edge 2nd row like Wade if he wants to go down that road. He's behind a few atm which will probably see him leave. I'm not a fan, to me he's like a Tyrone Peachey without the zip but can kick and deserves to play in the halves elswhere if he gets a gig.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Not a massive fan of Moylan, but his efforts this year have been solid and at times covering deficiencies of others.
Hynes is lucky to have him. The love triangle between him, Hynes and Trindall doesn’t work

carinashark

First Grade
Interesting to watch Zeus play . He went alright. Dykes ,Birrell and Iro Worked hard as well. Interesting years ahead .

Inferno

Coach
I wouldn't give him any more than two but I trust Fitz.

When is Tricky off contract, next year or the year after?

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Well deserved for Moylan. Been outstanding this year, I for one am very surprised that he’s turned it around and become one of our most reliable players this season. I had him on the scrap heap like most of us but fair play to him

tye

Juniors
I’m not a fan, he’s going ok but 2 years for a bloke that can’t run in open space and has a woeful kicking game. I appreciate what he is doing but think Nicho could do with someone a bit more reliable outside him.

sladden road

Juniors
Well for mine it’s well played Mm. Both on and off the field . He leaves the club with no clear option as he holds out for two years. Realistically we are at least that away from really challenging and stepping up to the big dogs.

Frailty

First Grade
I haven't ever really been a fan of Moylan, but he has really impressed me this season and has deserved his extension.

Trindall has shown he is can be a good half in NSW Cup, but his opportunities in the NRL have been extremely limited. He isn't a 10-minutes from the bench kind of player, and his form in NSW Cup hasn't been so good he has to play NRL.

The two-year extension does buy time for more youth (i.e. Dykes) to put pressure on for a starting spot, and Hynes will be another 1-2 years developed in his role as half.

Weaponhead

Coach
I haven't ever really been a fan of Moylan, but he has really impressed me this season and has deserved his extension.

Trindall has shown he is can be a good half in NSW Cup, but his opportunities in the NRL have been extremely limited. He isn't a 10-minutes from the bench kind of player, and his form in NSW Cup hasn't been so good he has to play NRL.

The two-year extension does buy time for more youth (i.e. Dykes) to put pressure on for a starting spot, and Hynes will be another 1-2 years developed in his role as half.
Fair assessment. I don't see Hynes and Moylan as a premiership winning halves combo but they are the best we have at this point. Moylan on current form at current money is providing value.

Frailty

First Grade
Fair assessment. I don't see Hynes and Moylan as a premiership winning halves combo but they are the best we have at this point. Moylan on current form at current money is providing value.
Oh, I agree. But I don't see Hynes-Trindall as a premiership winning halves combo. That being said - I also didn't think the Sharks would win a premiership with Townsend (especially given his performance in the Canberra game week one of finals in 2016).

Outside of 5/8, we have a relatively young spine, so no need to panic recruit for a 6.