What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL market watch: Matt Moylan rewarded at Sharks, Jordan McLean set for new deal at Cowboys

Tiger Shark

Bench
Hopefully the second year of his deal tapers of financially so if we have gone a different direction by then either internally or externally, or atleast have an option it's not going to sting the cap too much if hes not first choice.

He's having a great year, but in 2024 I'm skeptical he'll be having the same great year.

I liked the look of Dykes in the Jets game, he's raw but he's skillful and fast. This year and next for the Jets, maybe sprinkle in some first grade games here and there, coupled with Hynes added experience in the halves and hopefully he's a legit option for us. He had a shocking miss on one of their tries but a great try saving tackle on their winger made up for it. He's got some pace!

Eion

First Grade
Hopefully the second year of his deal tapers of financially so if we have gone a different direction by then either internally or externally, or atleast have an option it's not going to sting the cap too much if hes not first choice.

He's having a great year, but in 2024 I'm skeptical he'll be having the same great year.

I liked the look of Dykes in the Jets game, he's raw but he's skillful and fast. This year and next for the Jets, maybe sprinkle in some first grade games here and there, coupled with Hynes added experience in the halves and hopefully he's a legit option for us. He had a shocking miss on one of their tries but a great try saving tackle on their winger made up for it. He's got some pace!
They might even use some of the veteran salary cap dispensation. If we lose Wade, Fifita, Tolman next year…will only leave moyza and Dale as oldies.
I’m worried about dales headknocks, maybe not a bad idea to have a couple oldies around to make sure you all the cap you can.

Weaponhead

Coach
Oh, I agree. But I don't see Hynes-Trindall as a premiership winning halves combo. That being said - I also didn't think the Sharks would win a premiership with Townsend (especially given his performance in the Canberra game week one of finals in 2016).

Outside of 5/8, we have a relatively young spine, so no need to panic recruit for a 6.
Fair call re Chad. Jimmy Maloney was the 6 we needed.

Agree no need to panic buy and Moylan gives time. Personally, I am not fully convinced Hynes is a 7.

Frailty

First Grade
Fair call re Chad. Jimmy Maloney was the 6 we needed.

Agree no need to panic buy and Moylan gives time. Personally, I am not fully convinced Hynes is a 7.
I had concerns about Hynes as a 7 coming into the season, but I have seen a lot so far this season that tells me he has the temperament, awareness, and poise to guide a team around the park. He definitely has room to improve, but he guides the team around the park extremely well and generally controls field position well with some smart kicking. It's a subtle job that often gets overlooked.

I think if the Sharks could get a 6 with a bit more spark and a kicking game, the team would be extremely dangerous.

Weaponhead

Coach
I had concerns about Hynes as a 7 coming into the season, but I have seen a lot so far this season that tells me he has the temperament, awareness, and poise to guide a team around the park. He definitely has room to improve, but he guides the team around the park extremely well and generally controls field position well with some smart kicking. It's a subtle job that often gets overlooked.

I think if the Sharks could get a 6 with a bit more spark and a kicking game, the team would be extremely dangerous.
That's a fair perspective. It's half a season and he has had some exceptional games. I found the hype around him excessive which led to some scepticism on my part. I think he has been good for the most part and has plenty of upside.

We would be a better balanced team if Moylan had a better kicking game but it is what it is.

R-15-3

Juniors
I believe Hynes and Moylan will be massive improvers in 2023.
It’s Hynes first dozen games at half in years, he is a learner of the game and will take so much out of his first season as starting half.
It’s the first season Moylan has been injury free and believe he wouldn’t have worked on his kicking game the in the past very much with his injury concerns but if he get through the rest of the year it will do wonders for him going into next year.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
All great points and when I think about it we have absolutely had our expectations too high on the whole squad. If they finish top 4 it’s a massive overachievement. 5-8 is a success and 9-12 would have dissapointed a lot but we could have easily and still could land there.

Special K

Coach
All comes down to the coin, any ideas how munch?
I don't know the numbers but with us offering a 2nd year it would likely mean we don't offer as much as if it was a one year deal. He was on what 450k this year? I can't see that number moving too much either way - if anything I can see it going slightly down. For Moyza the chance to lock in say 800-900k over the next two years is pretty decent security and I can't believe there would be much better offers within the NRL that would move the needle for him.

The good thing about this is it gives our spine time to keep growing. Assuming we keep WK after next year this spine will have a crack at the finals this year and can have two more shots together. That is valuable.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Not to mention committed. How good was that chase. Strides like an antelope

Frenzy.

Immortal
I don't know the numbers but with us offering a 2nd year it would likely mean we don't offer as much as if it was a one year deal. He was on what 450k this year? I can't see that number moving too much either way - if anything I can see it going slightly down. For Moyza the chance to lock in say 800-900k over the next two years is pretty decent security and I can't believe there would be much better offers within the NRL that would move the needle for him.

The good thing about this is it gives our spine time to keep growing. Assuming we keep WK after next year this spine will have a crack at the finals this year and can have two more shots together. That is valuable.

Thought it was $350k?