What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL marketing rejects Simply the Best campaign and music altogether

flamin

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/granny-of-rock-not-good-enough/2007/11/17/1194767018135.html

Plans for Tina Turner to return as the face of rugby league have been scrapped despite the grandmother of rock's willingness to be part of centenary celebrations.

In a radical departure from recent campaigns, the centrepiece of the NRL's promotions won't feature a theme song or artist but instead focus on the history of the game. NRL officials held talks with Turner's management with a view to reprising the "Simply the Best" campaign that proved so successful in the late 1980s and early '90s.

Yet despite her availability, NRL marketing manager Paul Kind confirmed the league would head in a different direction to mark its 100th year.

"She was going to be available if we'd chosen that direction, there was nothing prohibiting us from doing it, it was just the wrong decision," Kind said. "Simply the Best was going to leave us in a very specific era within the game.

"We're talking about 100 years of history and Simply the Best is synonymous with the period from the late '80s to early '90s."

The advertising agency that brought the game Turner - MJW - is again heading the promotional campaign but Kind said the NRL was "going in a very different creative direction" next year.

"The piece that we're going to put up next year isn't about an artist or a song," Kind said.

"Over the last 15 to 20 years, the league has used a piece of music to become an anthem for the game for a respective era.

"With the centenary celebrations, we're trying to put so much into a 60-second spot and we want it to be about the game, not a new artist performing a new song for the game.

"The musical piece will be a background to the imagery we are cutting on the 100 years of rugby league history."

flamin said:
"She was going to be available if we'd chosen that direction, there was nothing prohibiting us from doing it, it was just the wrong decision," Kind said. "Simply the Best was going to leave us in a very specific era within the game.

"We're talking about 100 years of history and Simply the Best is synonymous with the period from the late '80s to early '90s."

As much as I liked the idea of bringing back Simply the Best I think that's a very fair point.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That was always my primary thought, STB only represents like, late 80's through to 1995. What about the rest of the time?

griff

Bench
I think what happened is that in the end they decided that the appearance fee for Tina Turner would be too high.

that money would probably better off being spent on more ads

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Gret move, we can't be recycling the same material over and over again.

I just hope that they choose some better type music and not the "bogan" type orientated crap we 've been forced to endure for the last 20 years.

Time to take league into a new diverse direction.....

BTW glad to hear we have a full time year long marketing manager for the NRL. You wouldn't know it because all they seem to ever do is pre seaon work ad campaigns only.

Calixte

First Grade
It wouldn't necessarily even need to be a "baby out with the bathwater" proposition.

Maybe have the historical footage overlaid, for part of the time, with "Simply the Best" - perhaps even for the relevant period of footage (late 80s - early 90s)?

Maybe a different version of the same song - acoustic? violins without vocals? Who knows? (It is a distinctive tune and, importantly, associated with the game.)

The problem would be having more than one musical accompaniment for a 60 sec ad...

(Lengthen the ad I hear someone say)

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Paul Kind aka The NRL marketing manager - Remember that name folks because this guy and his team are a stealthy mob, their work is extremely inconspicuous they hide very well and are harder to detect than the C.I.A, MI5 and the KGB put together. You won't hear from, or see his work for the rest of the year.

Its almost like he and his team don't exsist.

azza

Juniors
As long as they don't come up with another "blow that whistle ref" ad campaign (worst ever) i'll give them a chance.

Monk

Referee
i am intrugued as to what they come up with...
but i hope its more than one ad, i hate seeing the same ad over, and over, and over, and over...

griff

Bench
Blind Freddy said:
Paul Kind aka The NRL marketing manager - Remember that name folks because this guy and his team are a stealthy mob, their work is extremely inconspicuous they hide very well and are harder to detect than the C.I.A, MI5 and the KGB put together. You won't hear from, or see his work for the rest of the year.

Its almost like he and his team don't exsist.

yeah not sure what he does.

his full title is "Manager - Marketing and Commercial" so presumably he also does looking after sponsors and seeking new ones and looks after merchandising deals

a separate guy, John Brady, is the Media Manager

of course this is completely arse about - any organisation that knows anything about communications has a single communications manager who looks after both marketing and media and then commercial operations would have a separate manager