What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL marketing rejects Simply the Best campaign and music altogether

flamin

Juniors
Monk said:
i am intrugued as to what they come up with...
but i hope its more than one ad, i hate seeing the same ad over, and over, and over, and over...
I agree. The centenary deserves more. Perhaps different clips highlighting different eras or memorable moments. It would be impossible to get a 60 second ad to cover hundred years of history anyway.

Monk

Referee
flamin said:
I agree. The centenary deserves more. Perhaps different clips highlighting different eras or memorable moments. It would be impossible to get a 60 second ad to cover hundred years of history anyway.

well i dont know the early years could be covered due to the fact that there was no TV, so im expecting planty of recordings imo...
but yeh im thinking a series of ads or sumfin...

and i hope its no phil gould, nd fatty being interviewd for a whole ad... that would sh*t me off, seeing *THAT* over nd over

c_eagle

Juniors
azza said:
As long as they don't come up with another "blow that whistle ref" ad campaign (worst ever) i'll give them a chance.
I thought that was awesome, tbh.

It was exactly at the time when people needed to be reminded that they used to get excited about football season.

HevyDevy

Coach
griff said:
yeah not sure what he does.

his full title is "Manager - Marketing and Commercial" so presumably he also does looking after sponsors and seeking new ones and looks after merchandising deals

a separate guy, John Brady, is the Media Manager

of course this is completely arse about - any organisation that knows anything about communications has a single communications manager who looks after both marketing and media and then commercial operations would have a separate manager

Mate, Brady is an excellent operator and very, very busy despite having Dave Taylor, Alison Archer and co. working under him. He has enough to worry about without taking on the marketing role too.

Paul Kind - my mother told me if you don't have anything nice to say about anyone ...

griff

Bench
HevyDevy said:
Mate, Brady is an excellent operator and very, very busy despite having Dave Taylor, Alison Archer and co. working under him. He has enough to worry about without taking on the marketing role too.

Paul Kind - my mother told me if you don't have anything nice to say about anyone ...

as busy as Brady is it isn't beyond one person to take on both marketing and media roles.

the AFL does it, the ARU does it, the FFA does it, etc etc

marketing has much more to do with media that it does with organising merchandising and sponsorship deals. Marketing and media are both elements of the same thing: communications.

TITAN1

Juniors
Maybe they could release a medley of tunes from 1907,heres a selection:

'Way Down In Colon Town" Hoffman
"When A Fellow's On The Level With A Girl That's On The Square" w.m. George M. Cohan from the musical The Talk Of New York
"Who? Me?" Snyder
"Won't You Be My Honey?" Morse
"Won't You Waltz Home Sweet Home With Me" w.m. Herbert Ingraham
"Wouldn't You Like To Have Me For A Sweetheart?" Robyn
"You Splash Me And I'll Splash You" w. Arthur J. Lamb m. Alfred Solman

All rockin tunes,im sure.;-)

Nuke

Staff member
My first thoughts when I read they weren't going with the whole song-thing was of concern. My initial thought was of the Thomas Keneally (sp?) poem ads we saw in 1999. I think -if done well- it can work and work very well. I liked the idea behind that 1999 campaign but, I dunno, maybe it was the wrong time or wrong feel, or it was overdone and got old very quickly. I'm sure it's a great poem, but it didn't do much to excite me about the up-coming season.

Razor

Coach
Timmah said:

One of the greatest campaigns in Australia's and international sporting history.

Tina's first campaign with the game - "What you see is what you get" wasn't anything special. But her Simply The Best campaign was outstanding.

Since then the games marketing has been a joke.

But the AFL has also gone downhill majorly. Since their "I'd Like To See That" campaign ended, their marketing has also been very poor.

perverse

Referee
sh*t move imho. NRL "marketing" has been woeful ever since simply the best. terrible music. terrible ads. terrible everything. i think it would have been rather fitting on the centenary to advertise the game with what is widely considered the best campaign - and indeed image - the sport has ever had.

it's a fair point that it doesnt represent the full 100 years.. but it's about the best we could do imo.

Nuke

Staff member
I would go so far as to say the 'Simply The Best' campaign is the best in any sport in Australia. Apart from anything else, it was promoting the game at a time when League was at it's most expansive. The game was the most exciting I can remember at that time (granted, I was 14 in 1995 when it ended and lots of things excited me then).

The phrase 'simply the best' sums up our game perfectly.

HevyDevy

Coach
griff said:
as busy as Brady is it isn't beyond one person to take on both marketing and media roles.

the AFL does it, the ARU does it, the FFA does it, etc etc

marketing has much more to do with media that it does with organising merchandising and sponsorship deals. Marketing and media are both elements of the same thing: communications.

Well, as an example, I would say that at least 11 of the club media managers can't even handle their own roles let alone the marketing as well. It would be more disastrous than it already is to give these idiots more to do.

In-fact, of the 16 clubs, the only "good" media managers are Rob Willis at Cronulla and Richard Becht at the Warriors.

On a good day, Trad McLean at the Broncos and Tim Nugent at the Cows are decent.

Other than that, good luck.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ATTENTION.

Could all you marketing geniuses who seem to know what the NRL fans want maybe get off your whinging backsides and maybe email the NRL, perhaps put suggestions forward?

It's all well and good to sit here, have a go at Paul Kind and the NRL for not coming up with something you'd like better - but you can't expect anything if you aren't making them hear your voice.

So, offer some suggestions - tell people what you'd like to see.

Remember this is trying to appeal to an audience of millions of people around NSW QLD and abroad. Not just yourselves and your musical tastes.

For the record, the NRL's marketing obviously has worked on some sort of level lately... crowd numbers continue to push higher and interest is at record highs... sponsors are jumping aboard constantly...

But the need to whinge, right? Right?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Razor, all you told me was why STB was good. I asked you why the NRL is wrong for going with it in 2008. Bear in mind that song only represents a small fragment of the history of the game. Now, answer the question :)

HevyDevy

Coach
Timmah said:
ATTENTION.

Could all you marketing geniuses who seem to know what the NRL fans want maybe get off your whinging backsides and maybe email the NRL, perhaps put suggestions forward?

It's all well and good to sit here, have a go at Paul Kind and the NRL for not coming up with something you'd like better - but you can't expect anything if you aren't making them hear your voice.

So, offer some suggestions - tell people what you'd like to see.

Remember this is trying to appeal to an audience of millions of people around NSW QLD and abroad. Not just yourselves and your musical tastes.

For the record, the NRL's marketing obviously has worked on some sort of level lately... crowd numbers continue to push higher and interest is at record highs... sponsors are jumping aboard constantly...

But the need to whinge, right? Right?

:lol:

I would suggest it's the quality of the game that keeps attracting fans, not the marketing Timmah. The marketing could definitely be far better.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
I would suggest something along the lines of what Crowe and PHaC have been doing at Souths would be an example of where the guys at the NRL should be heading as one simple example.

Its a little absurd and farcical that 1 club has been doing more for the game than the sport's governing body in this country does.

Nuke said:
My first thoughts when I read they weren't going with the whole song-thing was of concern. My initial thought was of the Thomas Keneally (sp?) poem ads we saw in 1999. I think -if done well- it can work and work very well. I liked the idea behind that 1999 campaign but, I dunno, maybe it was the wrong time or wrong feel, or it was overdone and got old very quickly. I'm sure it's a great poem, but it didn't do much to excite me about the up-coming season.

I agree. The only problem with it was that it was not a 'launch ad'. Nothing to get you excited about the new season starting. If they had of rolled out the Keneally half way through the year it would'nt have been bagged the way it was.

Latest posts