What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL on Melbourne FTA is a joke

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A single anecdote about a shop assistant in a Melbourne CBD store not knowing about the Panthers is hardly evidence of RL being unable to penetrate the Victorian market.

Shark62

Juniors
Thanks I agree with Mongoose that they are talking about national ratings. As League is either 1st or a close 2nd in ratings the Melbourne League team will have high ratings nationally and proably enough to be the 2nd highest Melbourne team followed nationally.

A recent interaction buying socks in David Jones Melbourne.
Shop assistant (female in 60s): What team do you follow
Me: (under breath; hear we go again) Panthers
Shop assisitant: I haven’t heard of them where do they play
Me: They are a rugby league team
Shop assisitant: Oh... but what team do you follow
I was in Melbourne shopping for beer and I was asked by a woman who I was supporting in the big game. I asked ‘who’s playing?’.
It’s almost as though they can’t believe everyone doesn’t follow it.
I genuinely had no idea what she was talking about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thats because the NRL has done such an outstanding job in promoting RL and the Storm in Victoria. If the Storm had a fraction of the GWS advertising budget you probably wouldn't be met with such levels of ignorance.

DIOGENES

Juniors
My point wasn’t that the Panthers or the NRL weren’t recognised but that a disinterest in AFL was not seen as valid; hence the second question ... But what team do you follow? An attitude which will always make penetration by another sport difficult. Hopefully it is changing

Perth Red

Post Whore
My point wasn’t that the Panthers or the NRL weren’t recognised but that a disinterest in AFL was not seen as valid; hence the second question ... But what team do you follow? An attitude which will always make penetration by another sport difficult. Hopefully it is changing

you seem surprised? from what I’ve seen on my visits to Melbourne afl is a massive cultural influencer in the city, like soccer in Liverpool or Manchester. It’s a real shameRL doesn’t carry the same amount of commitment and passion in Sydney, it would make the game a lot stronger.

DIOGENES

Juniors
you seem surprised? from what I’ve seen on my visits to Melbourne afl is a massive cultural influencer in the city, like soccer in Liverpool or Manchester. It’s a real shameRL doesn’t carry the same amount of commitment and passion in Sydney, it would make the game a lot stronger.
Not at all surprised.
My theory, which has absolutely no evidence, is that AFL like Gaelic sports in Ireland is a case of ‘look at me’ amongst culturally insecure people with a deep and historic sense of inferiority.

Sydney is different and RL will always be a strongly supported game but it will never be a religion. Melbourne may change as it continues to become more cosmopolitan

BTW while I am still FIFO I tried to get to Ken Allen Field last week while I was visiting Freo. In the end I couldn’t find a park - looked like a few hundred crowd

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not at all surprised.
My theory, which has absolutely no evidence, is that AFL like Gaelic sports in Ireland is a case of ‘look at me’ amongst culturally insecure people with a deep and historic sense of inferiority.

Sydney is different and RL will always be a strongly supported game but it will never be a religion. Melbourne may change as it continues to become more cosmopolitan

BTW while I am still FIFO I tried to get to Ken Allen Field last week while I was visiting Freo. In the end I couldn’t find a park - looked like a few hundred crowd

You might have a point if it was just Melbourne but perth and Adelaide people seem equally infatuated,

Yeh can be difficult around there for parking if you don’t get there early.

mongoose

Coach

Sydney has always been divided between League and Union though and while Union has never been anywhere near as popular as League I would say most of the big end of town types in Sydney were Union followers and probably many of them come from GPS schools.

Stallion

First Grade

Good point. But when rumours of reducing the amount of top flight clubs keeps circulating it doesn't bode well for confidence and neutral interest in the code. Just another negative from the whiteanting agenda aimed at clubs in and around Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney has always been divided between League and Union though and while Union has never been anywhere near as popular as League I would say most of the big end of town types in Sydney were Union followers and probably many of them come from GPS schools.

Is union really that popular? Waratahs crowds wouldn’t suggest so. Sure AFL tends to be much more appealing to the full socio-economic spectrum than RL but in a city of 5mill and nine clubs RL really should be much more popular than it is. NRL and. Clubs seem pretty lazy at building the same fervour for the game in Sydney compared to afl in its cities.

Stallion

First Grade
Is union really that popular? Waratahs crowds wouldn’t suggest so. Sure AFL tends to be much more appealing to the full socio-economic spectrum than RL but in a city of 5mill and nine clubs RL really should be much more popular than it is. NRL and. Clubs seem pretty lazy at building the same fervour for the game in Sydney compared to afl in its cities.

Agree with the sentiment PR.The clubs have been lazy. Especially concerned with the "running away" mentality some clubs adopt as far harnessing new support and developing juniors are concerned. Hearing a statement like "Different people are moving in to our area. ..." So let's not attract them to our code..." And go to another area where it's easier.." seems to be a common thought process of some Sydney clubs. The code is good enough to maintain and attract new people. That's the attitude that should be evident. But it's mostly " Too hard! ..Let's go/try elsewhere for players and fans...."

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agree with the sentiment PR.The clubs have been lazy. Especially concerned with the "running away" mentality some clubs adopt as far harnessing new support and developing juniors are concerned. Hearing a statement like "Different people are moving in to our area. ..." So let's not attract them to our code..." And go to another area where it's easier.." seems to be a common thought process of some Sydney clubs. The code is good enough to maintain and attract new people. That's the attitude that should be evident. But it's mostly " Too hard! ..Let's go/try elsewhere for players and fans...."

Why do you reply to him? He has you on ignore

Stallion

First Grade

When a policy of diluting longstanding Sydney club rivalries has been at the fore: No wonder rugby league is in the background much more than AFL in Melbourne. It goes with losing cultural and historical relevance.(witnessed by removing longstanding Sydney club rivalries :there are many) Remembering the Sydney clubs are the reason why other clubs from other cities in OZ & NZ wanted to enjoy their place in the Big League .

greenBV4

Bench
Nine Melbourne exec 1: "Storm are being presented the minor premiership shield after the game, should we keep it running for a bit longer than straight after the siren?"

Nine Melbourne exec 2: "We could, or we could play this Chinese film from 2006 thats not even in English"

Nine Melbourne exec 1: "Oh thats much better, do that"...

Honestly a joke..

Vee

First Grade
Nine Melbourne exec 1: "Storm are being presented the minor premiership shield after the game, should we keep it running for a bit longer than straight after the siren?"

Nine Melbourne exec 2: "We could, or we could play this Chinese film from 2006 thats not even in English"

Nine Melbourne exec 1: "Oh thats much better, do that"...

Honestly a joke..
Nein - the home of rugby league.

tri_colours

Juniors
Even AFL is frequently on secondary channels in WA due to the timeslot difference. NRL isn't getting prime channel coverage for anything other than Origin or a Grand Final, ever.
Or the AFL do a better job at impacting competitor market penetration? If the NRL employed people with bigger balls, then maybe we'd be able to see more games down here and on the main 9 channel other than SOO and Finals.

Channel 9 is not a charity.

Melbourne viewers watching the Storm on Friday night 25k
Melbourne viewers watching the AFL on Friday night 480k