What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL on Melbourne FTA is a joke

greenBV4

Bench
Sorry I missed this post. I’m in Melbourne working at the moment. The storm were on 9 and shark/manly on gem.
Yeah i knew that i was wondering if they showed any post game stuff from the Melbourne game, but thinking about it now there probably wasnt anything post game to show, it probably would cut straight to the other game yeah?

greenBV4

Bench
wowee
Nein put Melbourne on the main channel
took me a second to realise what happened when the coverage cut out on GEM

would it of been that hard for them to put up a "channel change" banner?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
AFL is everywhere, even in Brisbane you can have a AFL Lions game on Triple M when there’s NRL on.
NRLHQ are muppets

Change the channel. ABC will usually have the league or the continuous call team. If you can stomach the latter.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I recently saw a tv guide from a Saturday in 1983 in Sydney...channel 7 broadcast the VFL live on Saturday afternoon and Channel 2 replaced the league with the VFL winners program at 6pm. For the main sport RL nine gave us 45 minutes of the Sturday game the other 15 minutes was advertising!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its a real chicken and egg for FTA. On one hand the numbers are low so why show it on main channel, on other hand if you dont show it on main channel numbers will always be low. I am imagining that the Tv audience on a Sunday afternoon for Ch9 in SA,WA and Vic are pretty pitiful so at the very least we should be building it into the contract that NRL has to be on main channel on a Sunday afternoon. Nothing much to lose for Ch9 there.
Most Tv shows on digital channels rate less than 50k in each city.
We dont get any help by Ch9 though in them refusing to add the non NRL cities ratings into the overall FTA metro 5 city ratings! These 5 city ratings are the biggie that media talks about. Even if we are only adding 50-100k from digital channels in perth, Melbourne and Adelaide it would be a 20-30% increase on current reported 2 city figures that get put out by Ch9. AFL always have all 5 cities in their metro ratings, regardless of what channel they are on!

Diesel

Referee
Except the GF & origin, I can’t think of the last time I watched 9, I’m sure there are plenty of others out there that are the same

tri_colours

Juniors
Its a real chicken and egg for FTA. On one hand the numbers are low so why show it on main channel, on other hand if you dont show it on main channel numbers will always be low. I am imagining that the Tv audience on a Sunday afternoon for Ch9 in SA,WA and Vic are pretty pitiful so at the very least we should be building it into the contract that NRL has to be on main channel on a Sunday afternoon. Nothing much to lose for Ch9 there.
We dont get any help by Ch9 though in them refusing to add the non NRL cities ratings into the overall FTA metro 5 city ratings! These 5 city ratings are the biggie that media talks about. Even if we are only adding 50-100k from digital channels in perth, Melbourne and Adelaide it would be a 20-30% increase on current reported 2 city figures that get put out by Ch9. AFL always have all 5 cities in their metro ratings, regardless of what channel they are on!

AFL shows Pretty much all Sydney , Queensland and even most Perth games on 7mate. The stations get to decide how they are presented in the ratings the next day.

Forcing C9 to show gem games on the main channel in the AFL states would cost a lot of money and Im not sure it would be worth it.

These numbers are included in our Metro numbers . These numbers rarely get much more than 30k all up. Though the storm did get 90'oddk earlier this season. If there's no big AFL game on in Melboune C9 puts them on the main channel at times.

mongoose

Coach
[

AFL shows Pretty much all Sydney , Queensland and even most Perth games on 7mate. The stations get to decide how they are presented in the ratings the next day.

Forcing C9 to show gem games on the main channel in the AFL states would cost a lot of money and Im not sure it would be worth it.

These numbers are included in our Metro numbers . These numbers rarely get much more than 30k all up. Though the storm did get 90'oddk earlier this season. If there's no big AFL game on in Melboune C9 puts them on the main channel at times.

why would it cost more to show on the main channels? I have never really understood why NRL or AFL are relegated to secondary channels in any city, especially when there is something on the main channel that I doubt would rate any better. Are there really that many people watching The Parent Trap for the 6th time?

Generalzod

Immortal
why would it cost more to show on the main channels? I have never really understood why NRL or AFL are relegated to secondary channels in any city, especially when there is something on the main channel that I doubt would rate any better. Are there really that many people watching The Parent Trap for the 6th time?
Parent trap is a good movie...

tri_colours

Juniors

Ch9 in Perth /SA/(Melb usually)would make more from adverting by showing an Elvis rerun.

SA get about 5k, WA 10, and Melbourne 15-30. So the re run would get more viewers and bring in more ad money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch9 in Perth /SA/(Melb usually)would make more from adverting by showing an Elvis rerun.

SA get about 5k, WA 10, and Melbourne 15-30. So the re run would get more viewers and bring in more ad money.

they dont t sell advertising by program, they sell it in large blocks. It wouldn’t make any difference to them.

You make good points PR.

It would help if the multichannels were broadcast in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2. An MPEG4 channel uses half the bandwidth, so it can be broadcast in HD and use no more space than an SD MPEG2 channel. Do that and people will start watching the multichannels.

I won't watch anything that's SD.

The amount advertisers are willing to pay to run a commerical is dependant on how many people are watching. Running a movie on a Friday night at 8.30pm on Ch9 will draw more viewers in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth than an RL game involving the Storm, so the football match is relegated to 9GEM. Networks don't want to concede viewers to their rivals. If you put a Friday night Storm game on Ch9 in Melbourne, instead of the weekly movie, then people who would normally watch the movie will flick over to Ch10, SBS or ABC to watch a drama, or turn over to Netflix.