What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News NRL Plans to Fund Regional Academies

_Johnsy

Referee
While he isn't short of his detractors, this idea has merit.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...y/news-story/c3359508e471fe4d0757506d21f63776

NRL plan to fund club academies in regional NSW and Queensland in push to save bush footy

Peter V’landys is taking an open chequebook into his push to save bush footy, with 16 new NRL academies set to be created across regional NSW and Queensland.

Amid growing fears country footy could be dead within 10 years, V’landys is now readying to implement a bold ‘Save The Bush’ blueprint which will be unveiled to all NRL CEOs in Brisbane during Magic Round.

The ARLC chairman has also revealed the concept, which is totally funded by League Central, and involves each NRL club taking on a region across the state, is being shaped by the likes of South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett and former Penrith GM Phil Gould.

As the centrepiece of the proposal, all 16 NRL clubs will be provided funding to establish their own Rugby League Academy in a designated country town or towns.

Clubs will be encouraged to mirror the work already being done by Panthers officials, who have successfully implemented academy programs in Bathurst and Dubbo.

V’landys is also seeking a commitment from every CEO to send marquee players bush at various times throughout the year for coaching clinics, local fundraisers, even team camps.

While the NSWRL is also working on its own strategies, which V’landys supports, he stressed it was important the NRL also injected its own “stimulus”.

While an initial figure of $1.5 million has been mooted, the ARL commission boss readily admits the figure could be higher.

“And if it takes more, OK, it takes more,” he told News Corp on Thursday. “We’ll fund it. Because we have to do something immediately for bush football.

“There’s no point waiting three years, five years … it has to be done now.”

This is not the first time NRL clubs have been asked, unsuccessfully, to adopt an area of regional NSW.

Previously though, the key sticking point was always the reluctance of some NRL clubs to tip money into perceived ‘weaker’ regions while some of their rivals, for the same outlay, were given noted strongholds like Group 10 or the Central Coast.

“But we aren’t asking clubs to fund this,” V’landys stressed. “The NRL will do it.

“So there is no down side for them. They have the opportunity to create new pathways for young players, bring in new fans, all of that.

“It’s an easy sell. But importantly, it’s also about getting country kids back to footy, helping revive senior competitions, even bring some clubs back.

“Rather than the NRL having an expensive front office, we’ll be redirecting savings the game has already made (since COVID) toward attacking these problems head on.”

While clubs will also be encouraged to take an NRL game or trial to their region from 2022, V’landys stressed it wouldn’t be compulsory and said the academies and player visits were top of his list.

Already, there are eight NRL games being played in regional centres this year.

However, for these games to take place, local councils in towns like Bathurst, Tamworth and Mudgee must first pay the home side for the right to host — a figure said to be anywhere from $100,000 to $250,000.

Four years ago, one NRL club even asked for $100,000 just to host a trial match.

It’s thought that if the NRL were to take 16 games bush every year, it would cost the game up to $5 million.

Even in 2013, the game’s then CEO Dave Smith talked up a $1.2 million proposal that would see four games shifted to country NSW every year.

By his math, Smith reckoned it would cost $300,000 for every game the NRL took bush. But that idea never materialised, either.

Then in 2017, the annual City-Country game was also scrapped.

Asked about NRL games going bush, V’landys said: “That isn’t the big deal for us.

“But clubs taking their stars into the community definitely is. Same with the academies.

“Obviously it’s a big plan, a long-term plan and in some cases it will be like we are starting over. But like any challenge, you take it head on.”

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe it's just me, but any time any News Corp masthead publishes an article about PVL or something he's doing, it comes across as a free PR exercise for him. Has anybody in that organisation ever critically analysed anything the guy has done?

This idea has fantastic merit but it still comes across as spin.

MugaB

Coach
Maybe it's just me, but any time any News Corp masthead publishes an article about PVL or something he's doing, it comes across as a free PR exercise for him. Has anybody in that organisation ever critically analysed anything the guy has done?

Its hard to disagree, since the way the game has been a lot better ruled, and managed since post lock down, the ideas Apollo has rubber stamped have improved the game in my opinion, and there's a whole heap of detractors that are always nitpicking at PVL for his bullish leadership, but i feel its a good thing, because the same folk who pile shít and ark up about any drama within league, are the same that hate PVL, so if im confident in a direction that NRLHQ or ARLC are taking Rugba leg, i only have to see these detractors whinge to know its a good plan...
A great example is the 2 conferences talked about this week, there wasn't even split of clubs or details of how it would work, and everyone has an idea, opinion etc. But these same detractors started calling out PVL. over details within it, which weren't even true or formalized... expansion is another one, yet somehow with this recent conference system being in headlines, NZ2 has been almost rubber stamped as the 18th licence.

MugaB

Coach
While he isn't short of his detractors, this idea has merit.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...y/news-story/c3359508e471fe4d0757506d21f63776

NRL plan to fund club academies in regional NSW and Queensland in push to save bush footy

Peter V’landys is taking an open chequebook into his push to save bush footy, with 16 new NRL academies set to be created across regional NSW and Queensland.

Amid growing fears country footy could be dead within 10 years, V’landys is now readying to implement a bold ‘Save The Bush’ blueprint which will be unveiled to all NRL CEOs in Brisbane during Magic Round.

The ARLC chairman has also revealed the concept, which is totally funded by League Central, and involves each NRL club taking on a region across the state, is being shaped by the likes of South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett and former Penrith GM Phil Gould.

As the centrepiece of the proposal, all 16 NRL clubs will be provided funding to establish their own Rugby League Academy in a designated country town or towns.

Clubs will be encouraged to mirror the work already being done by Panthers officials, who have successfully implemented academy programs in Bathurst and Dubbo.

V’landys is also seeking a commitment from every CEO to send marquee players bush at various times throughout the year for coaching clinics, local fundraisers, even team camps.

While the NSWRL is also working on its own strategies, which V’landys supports, he stressed it was important the NRL also injected its own “stimulus”.

While an initial figure of $1.5 million has been mooted, the ARL commission boss readily admits the figure could be higher.

“And if it takes more, OK, it takes more,” he told News Corp on Thursday. “We’ll fund it. Because we have to do something immediately for bush football.

“There’s no point waiting three years, five years … it has to be done now.”

This is not the first time NRL clubs have been asked, unsuccessfully, to adopt an area of regional NSW.

Previously though, the key sticking point was always the reluctance of some NRL clubs to tip money into perceived ‘weaker’ regions while some of their rivals, for the same outlay, were given noted strongholds like Group 10 or the Central Coast.

“But we aren’t asking clubs to fund this,” V’landys stressed. “The NRL will do it.

“So there is no down side for them. They have the opportunity to create new pathways for young players, bring in new fans, all of that.

“It’s an easy sell. But importantly, it’s also about getting country kids back to footy, helping revive senior competitions, even bring some clubs back.

“Rather than the NRL having an expensive front office, we’ll be redirecting savings the game has already made (since COVID) toward attacking these problems head on.”

While clubs will also be encouraged to take an NRL game or trial to their region from 2022, V’landys stressed it wouldn’t be compulsory and said the academies and player visits were top of his list.

Already, there are eight NRL games being played in regional centres this year.

However, for these games to take place, local councils in towns like Bathurst, Tamworth and Mudgee must first pay the home side for the right to host — a figure said to be anywhere from $100,000 to $250,000.

Four years ago, one NRL club even asked for $100,000 just to host a trial match.

It’s thought that if the NRL were to take 16 games bush every year, it would cost the game up to $5 million.

Even in 2013, the game’s then CEO Dave Smith talked up a $1.2 million proposal that would see four games shifted to country NSW every year.

By his math, Smith reckoned it would cost $300,000 for every game the NRL took bush. But that idea never materialised, either.

Then in 2017, the annual City-Country game was also scrapped.

Asked about NRL games going bush, V’landys said: “That isn’t the big deal for us.

“But clubs taking their stars into the community definitely is. Same with the academies.

“Obviously it’s a big plan, a long-term plan and in some cases it will be like we are starting over. But like any challenge, you take it head on.”
This is great, every club should be investing time and effort into either a regional town or area, with it you unearth your Matt Burtons, Brent Nadens, and Katoni Staggs, i doubt the Bulldogs sign the first two guys if Penrith doesn't bother travelling to Dubbo, Wellington or Bathurst, each club should be owning a pathway stemming directly from either country footy, or Pacific Islands, i know the sharks are helping the fijian team the silktails, its just benefits that club aswell as league overall

_Johnsy

Referee
Its hard to disagree, since the way the game has been a lot better ruled, and managed since post lock down, the ideas Apollo has rubber stamped have improved the game in my opinion, and there's a whole heap of detractors that are always nitpicking at PVL for his bullish leadership, but i feel its a good thing, because the same folk who pile shít and ark up about any drama within league, are the same that hate PVL, so if im confident in a direction that NRLHQ or ARLC are taking Rugba leg, i only have to see these detractors whinge to know its a good plan...
A great example is the 2 conferences talked about this week, there wasn't even split of clubs or details of how it would work, and everyone has an idea, opinion etc. But these same detractors started calling out PVL. over details within it, which weren't even true or formalized... expansion is another one, yet somehow with this recent conference system being in headlines, NZ2 has been almost rubber stamped as the 18th licence.
Considering what he & the NRL did in responding to COVID, there were howls of protest from the usual suspects. Those being the loudest from AFL mouthpieces in Vic tardia, of course they went quiet, copied & followed his lead.

PVL was the leader in this space anywhere in the world. Put all his brashness & arrogance aside, he gets stuff done. Looking back at his leadership style during COVID, all you can do is applaud what he & project Apollo achieved. I am more than prepared to wait & see what eventuates, after seeing his interview with Matty Johns (face to face) I am in no doubt he wants what is best for the game. Combine that with his make it happen attitude, I feel better where the game is heading compared to any other CEO/Boss the game has had over the preceding 2 decades.

Timmah

Staff member
That was a whole wall of text with no breaks but I'll do my best to respond...

Project Apollo itself was great in getting the game back on. The protocols / bubble were great.

The rule changes? Jury's out. Fans of teams benefitting no doubt think they're great - for now - but the long term damage will be the issue.

As for 'detractors' - every leader in every space has them - sport, politics, you name it. Dismissing critics because you don't like them doesn't negate what they have to say.

This bush funding idea is great on its face. I was simply sharing my view on how the coverage in News Corp media completely lacks any critical analysis of anything he's done over the past year. I'm not even talking about them having a go at him, but has anybody at the Tele or CM or Fox Sports etc actually done any piece even looking at the impacts of things he's implemented? Again - doesn't have to be hating on him. Just seems like he gets free press from certain outlets.

MugaB

Coach
Accountability down the line will be vital to the success.
I like wall of text, i generally like one paragraph...hawhawhaw

The sport now is more attractive, than it was pre covid, not much wrestle, and slowing down of the ruck, rules are better, and teams that adapted to the rules asap have stayed at the top, so im not sure i agree with the downside, the better teams cutting out the garbage from their game

siv

First Grade
I would like a way to setup 2k grandstands on rectangular fields as part of the proposal

Maybe with a COE next door

And keep doing this for 10 years bringing in a number of new locations every year

Perth Red

Post Whore

they are massively in bed together through nsw racing. Why surprised?

on the proposal it’s a great idea. Not sure how far $110k is going to go per club to set up a regional academy though? Barely a FT development officer salary. No academies for melbourne or canberra?

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
I like wall of text, i generally like one paragraph...hawhawhaw

The sport now is more attractive, than it was pre covid, not much wrestle, and slowing down of the ruck, rules are better, and teams that adapted to the rules asap have stayed at the top, so im not sure i agree with the downside, the better teams cutting out the garbage from their game
If your aim is to make it uncompetitive by the halfway mark and more blowouts than ever before - which leads to people turning off their TVs - then sure, the game is "more attractive".

Timmah

Staff member
I would like a way to setup 2k grandstands on rectangular fields as part of the proposal

Maybe with a COE next door

And keep doing this for 10 years bringing in a number of new locations every year
Investing in infrastructure you can barely claim exclusivity for seems like a really bad idea.

typicalfan

Coach
Most of the detractors are the typical naysayers that say things can't be done. PVL has made a career putting the naysayers to bed well before his stint in Rugby League. I like the way he keeps NRL in the newscycle. The media including social media drip with envy on what he says.

MugaB

Coach
If your aim is to make it uncompetitive by the halfway mark and more blowouts than ever before - which leads to people turning off their TVs - then sure, the game is "more attractive".
Its early days, once the struggling teams start to emulate the better sides (as they always tend to do) ,the clubs will know what to look for in terms of roster management, at the moment there are clubs who are just buying scraps from the better teams, instead of building talent from within to get the type of players that can last the 80mins, carrying 4 middles on the bench is a thing of the past, as fatigue is a huge factor for these recent blowouts

Smug Panther

First Grade
That was a whole wall of text with no breaks but I'll do my best to respond...

Project Apollo itself was great in getting the game back on. The protocols / bubble were great.

The rule changes? Jury's out. Fans of teams benefitting no doubt think they're great - for now - but the long term damage will be the issue.

As for 'detractors' - every leader in every space has them - sport, politics, you name it. Dismissing critics because you don't like them doesn't negate what they have to say.

This bush funding idea is great on its face. I was simply sharing my view on how the coverage in News Corp media completely lacks any critical analysis of anything he's done over the past year. I'm not even talking about them having a go at him, but has anybody at the Tele or CM or Fox Sports etc actually done any piece even looking at the impacts of things he's implemented? Again - doesn't have to be hating on him. Just seems like he gets free press from certain outlets.
Your teams sucks because they are shit not because of rule changes

How is it uncompetitive? Because the Panthers are good? Cause Melb are still one of the benchmarks which they've been for over a decade?

Look at the upsets we've had already this year. Sure there have been some blow outs but that's par the course of most seasons. The rule changes have made watching the game more attractive for the most part and sure, some teams haven't adjusted well (yours funnily enough huh) but that will adjust over time.

The other option is to stagnate and let the game fall to the wrestle a thon it once was, no thanks