What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Promotion/Religation System

possm

Coach
Now would be an ideal time for the NRL to bring in a promotion/relegation system in which the two last-placed NRL teams revert to playing in the state league and the top-finishing teams of QLD and NSW of their local state competition move up to the NRL.

Yes, an ideal time for the NRL to rid themselves of the two joint venture clubs; the Tigers and the Dragons..

56to66

Juniors
There are teams that have bounce back to make the finals after getting the wooden.
Roosters Wooden spooners 2009 Grandfinalist in 2010.
Penrith Panthers Wooden Spooners 2001, Premiers 2003.
If the Dragons or the Tigers were religated, it would take 50 years for them to recover, or even make an NRL finals appearance ever again.
Getting relegated would mean losing half your roster to other NRL teams.
St George didn't deserve to come 2nd last, having a shit coach, Ben Sook and poor officiating cost us big time, if Wayne Bennett was St George's coach they would have come 9th or 10th.
I agree of dismantling the stupid Joint Venture idea.

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Problem with promotion relegation is that we don't have a single second tier comp. If you promote 1 each from NSW and QLD Cups then you have to demote 1 each from the top tier which will not always be the 2 lowest placed teams. Would be unfair if say the lowest QLD team was say 6th or 7th last with 5 or 6 NSW based teams below them.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Now would be an ideal time for the NRL to bring in a promotion/relegation system in which the two last-placed NRL teams revert to playing in the state league and the top-finishing teams of QLD and NSW of their local state competition move up to the NRL.

Yes, an ideal time for the NRL to rid themselves of the two joint venture clubs; the Tigers and the Dragons..
Won’t work poss, this isn’t the EPL it’s WWE. EPL as an international world wide sport called football/soccer which is watched and gambled on by biilions of people around the worldin whatever global comp leafing up to a proper wold cup.
whereas the the current NRL<WWE format is just entertaining the people of of the South Pacific which is % wise no where in comparison to soccer.
Yeah there is Super League RL comp that draws a crowd similar to a local Sydney A grade RL grand final, but that’s all apart from the emerging Pacific nations and Toronto wolf pack.

getsmarty

Immortal
Problem with promotion relegation is that we don't have a single second tier comp. If you promote 1 each from NSW and QLD Cups then you have to demote 1 each from the top tier which will not always be the 2 lowest placed teams. Would be unfair if say the lowest QLD team was say 6th or 7th last with 5 or 6 NSW based teams below them.

Probably need to be expand to 24 or 26 teams but split into 2. Last 3 falls, top 3 climbs.

NSW country.
Perth
Saints
Steelers
Nz2
Firehawks
Central Coast
Newtown
Bears

I think any of the old clubs could stand alone if they had the right people and financing. Easts have survived for example. Manly is not Uber massive

As for the table, Brisbane were a basket case only a couple of years ago. They signed that Melbourne CEO and many good things happened.

Probably you guys and us are stuck with terrible boards. When they put together the jvs they didn’t foresee this. I don’t think the game has improved under the corporate veil. I miss a lot of the old plays from the past tbh. I remember deep backlines. Injuries were different and I think less frequent, even though the ugly biff was condoned.

Series of bad decision making, at all levels, spin and excuses. The lying that this sport pumps out is horrific.

Flanno has his job cut out for him dealing with officials. They’d better give him a lot of room at the table.

The average number of games a player plays is 48 or something. About 2 years.
That’s a brutal use-by date.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
If this system came in I would give up watching RL, the Dragons would be odds on to be relegated and if its a hard road to come back from now , it would be near on impossible from the second tier. Besides it would be very embarrassing if we finished last in that tier as well !!!

If this system came in I would give up watching RL, the Dragons would be odds on to be relegated and if its a hard road to come back from now , it would be near on impossible from the second tier. Besides it would be very embarrassing if we finished last in that tier as well !!!
To help us out, I’d introduce a draft.

And for @Gareth67 and I, the return of Mary.

Id prefer him over Benji, that’s for sure.

That is if we can pull him out of soo.