What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 1 2023 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Like a being in a bad job and waiting for Friday to come around (which it always does) the same can be said for summer and footy. Summer wasn't bad but it's a bit boring without it!

What's changed in the off-season? We'll find out over the next few days. Tonight, Eels v Storm. Bellamy looks to be stepping down this year, will this motivate Melbourne even more? Big shot Papenhuyzen is still out injured, that's always a blow for a side, when their best player can't start round one. My Eels mates are negative but my deep mole is positive, he reckons they've sped up their off-the-ball play.

Friday, the Warriors are back in NZ albeit not at Mt Smart. I'm worried about us being favourites v Knights in such a big game. The Panthers are still at Penrith Stadium so far this year and are looking at a 'three-peat' despite Cap pressures weakening their roster. The Broncos? Who knows.

Saturday, time to relax with three games at leisure. Sea Eagles v Bulldogs is anyone's guess. Two new coaches, a legendary one gone, a potential new legend beginning with the Dogs. NQ v Raiders, and the return of Aussie Jim in Cowboys' colours. Can he go out with another ring? Sticky will want a fast start too, after a poor start last year had critics talking up moving him on.

Sharks v Rabbs. Typical Sydney fare, but good to have back all the same.

Sunday, the game of the round. Dolphins v Roosters. Is Brisbane a two-horse town? It wasn't in '95/96, when the Crushers came along, but Super League had something to do with that. This time, the NRL won't want any failures. I'm going for a Bennett-inspired upset here against the Chooks.

We close out with the Tigers v Titans at Leichhardt. I want this to work for the black and gold. Two legends are back, Sheens and Benji, the crowds are back, the vibe is good. The spoon just can't be!

Enjoy.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Basin Reserve was beautiful this week. What a win and I wish I'd seen it live.
Whats the capacity at the Basin these days and what sort of nick is the ground in? Gotta wonder if eventually when the Caketin reaches the end of its life (realistically probably 20 more years bar a big earthquake) it'll eventually be replaced with a covered rectangle as Dunedin and Now Christchurch are doing. Which would leave cricket back art the Basin for all formats.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Whats the capacity at the Basin these days and what sort of nick is the ground in? Gotta wonder if eventually when the Caketin reaches the end of its life (realistically probably 20 more years bar a big earthquake) it'll eventually be replaced with a covered rectangle as Dunedin and Now Christchurch are doing. Which would leave cricket back art the Basin for all formats.
6-7000 I think

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The Basin Reserve was beautiful this week. What a win and I wish I'd seen it live.
Outstanding win, but unfortunately on the flip side it has completely papered over the huge cracks in the side, they’ll get a nice soft run against the Lankans now

JJ

Immortal
Feel a bit for Penrith, there are a couple of sides that don’t seem to experience the salary cap pressure you speak of

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Less than 30 mins in to be reminded how much I dislike watching Gutho and Moses, they belong in NRLW with all their whinging

Storm knock on, Sivo kicks dead on first tackle, Storm knock on, Eels charged down field goal, Munsta grubber though 40m out to Eels, Eels knock on, Eels penalised ruck interference, Hughes makes 8m on kick, Munsta misses from 30m out, penalty Eels Bomb on halfway??? Golden point.
Messy end

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thought that Storm result was remarkably close to the last trial game: off the pace a little in the first half and down 0-6 in both games before finding some rhythm and winning both second halves, though obviously Parra playing for competition points were stiffer opposition than us emptying our trial bench.
Also found out that Will Warbrick is a fellow EBOP lad, good pickup for the Storm there, hes a unit.

Scott

Bench
Never back against Melbourne in Round 1.

You just get the feeling that Katoa is going to love it with Melbourne. My tip for 'Buy of the Year'.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Cmon the Breakers, huge first half but a quality team will come back at them

they should be an inspiration for the Warriors this season

Blair

Coach
1 point win in regular time!
13-12. I hate to say it but the Broncos might be the real deal this year.

Plus how will all those egos - on the field and in the stands - at Penrith handle losing this year? They've had it so bloody good.