What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 10 2021 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
It's magic round! So no need for a write-up ths week, which is just as well, because I'm pushed for time this morning, I'm off to Sydney's Newport Beach (Sea Eagles country) for a few days r n r.

When I pass the ramshackle Brookvale Oval I'll recall my days working there. Bless the suburban league grounds!

The magic kicks-off tomorrow night. The ladder will be fascinating on Sunday night.

Enjoy.

I find magic round an interesting concept.

Great for fans of the game to see all players in one area.

But interesting how many fans at a Bulldogs vs Raiders game compared if they had it at home.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
This weekend will be see some big movement on the ladder.

If we lose:

Raiders, Manly and Knights have an opportunity with easy opponents so will all likely jump us, putting us down to 11.

Cowboys also with a chance against an injury depleted Roosters to drop us to 12th.

The good news is that Dragons and Titans likely lose though, so we stay in touch with them

Blair

Coach
Nice bit of nostalgia last night with the Bears and Magpies at North Sydney Oval on TV

What year was that?

I worked at Nth Sydney Oval. The awful truth about the dying days of the Bears (as well as the Magpies, and Souths) was that the crowds were gone. I always mention that to heartbroken (and bitter) fans today. They needed to support their team when it really mattered. That's when NRL number-crunchers had roving eyes on the empty seats.

Souths, of course, took to the streets in huge numbers after their cut.

Blair

Coach
'Magic round'. Can we wave our magic wands? I wouldn't ask for anything too outrageous - like a past premiership or two - but I'd at least ask for a fully fit squad right now. We're a pretty good side this year and hopefully we'll get to see it in its full potential.

What would you do if you had a magic wand?

Last edited:
Reactions: Izz

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
What year was that?

I worked at Nth Sydney Oval. The awful truth about the dying days of the Bears (as well as the Magpies, and Souths) was that the crowds were gone. I always mention that to heartbroken (and bitter) fans today. They needed to support their team when it really mattered. That's when NRL number-crunchers had roving eyes on the empty seats.

Souths, of course, took to the streets in huge numbers after their cut.

It was current NSW Cup, there wasn’t any NRL so they played that game on TV instead

Growing up here I never had an idea early on what fierce rivals Manly and Norths were, when I was 10 or so my old man let me get a jersey for getting a good school report and I came home with a Bears one

Last edited:

Scott

Bench
It was current NSW Cup, there wasn’t any NRL so they played that game on TV instead

Growing up here I never had an idea early on what fierce rivals Manly and Norths were, when I was 10 or so my old man let me get a jersey for getting a good school report and I came home with a Bears one
I was a massive Bears fan growing up. I loved North Sydney Oval & was lucky enough to get a tour through the change rooms etc by Jason Taylor in 1995. We just rocked up (you could just walk through, like the Basin Reserve). We were taking a few photos & Taylor was practising his goal-kicking & came over and said gidday. I was 16 at the time and the Bears were everything.

I saw them play Manly in 1997 there. Greg Florimo had a 10/10 game (old RLW scores). I think we won 41-0. Some great memories of Norths & that ground. In terms of being a picturesque ground, only Pukekura Park beats it.

JJ

Immortal
I was a massive Bears fan growing up. I loved North Sydney Oval & was lucky enough to get a tour through the change rooms etc by Jason Taylor in 1995. We just rocked up (you could just walk through, like the Basin Reserve). We were taking a few photos & Taylor was practising his goal-kicking & came over and said gidday. I was 16 at the time and the Bears were everything.

I saw them play Manly in 1997 there. Greg Florimo had a 10/10 game (old RLW scores). I think we won 41-0. Some great memories of Norths & that ground. In terms of being a picturesque ground, only Pukekura Park beats it.
they had a great team early 90s - Florimo, Fairleigh, Larsen, Moore, Fenech, Jacko, Soden, Taolor, Martin etc etc

Izz

Bench
'Magic round' Can we waive our magic wands? I wouldn't ask for anything too outrageous - like a past premiership or two - but I'd at least ask for a fully fit squad right now. We're a pretty good side this year and hopefully we'll get to see it in its full potential.

What would you do if you had a magic wand?
Yep, fully fit squad would do me

Blair

Coach

Oh, that's excellent park footy, the NSW Cup. We've spoken about it at length here, a few of us loved to trek around Sydney on weekends following our side. They'd play at Nth Sydney Oval, Henson Park, et al.

I passed Lidcombe Oval on the way into town yesterday. It's just a park now, but what memories. Before my time but who cares?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
This refereeing crackdown is an absolute farce, adds nothing to the spectacle at all, the bunker should not be involved in refereeing general play

Going to be plenty to talk about over this weekend

I’d rather hammer them fairly and squarely, not with 13 on 11 when only 1 of them was warranted