What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 16 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Bloody heck, I had no idea how negatively this year's Origin would impact on how I viewed 'club footy'. This is just a blip I reckon. Our club games aren't 'second-rate'. The NRL is the premium 'product' in any given year. But I can't help but be pissed off with how Origin has pushed other competitions into the background. Russia '18 probably hasn't helped either.

Even here, apart from Zero's interesting post about 'good players who never made the Kiwis' (and then someone also pointed out that it sounded like a typical 'off-season' post), this place went pretty quiet. The Denver test thread went well though.

I suppose the best thing that can happen is we get straight back into the comp, and that means tonight. Dragons v Eels. Warriors fans need the Dragons to drop a couple of games if we want that very real chance of going top of the ladder. Quite an incredible prospect at the start of the year.

Big Marty Taupau had some flight-scheduling dramas leaving the US, arriving home in Sydney today (apparently) but is expected to turn out for Manly on Saturday. He's keen to get to Penrith, that's for sure. Come on, Manly. Do the Warriors another favour.

The Bulldogs look to be in serious trouble, which is not helped by the loss of Faitala-Mariner, who broke his hand in the Denver test. Foz is gone for the season, as we know. What a predictable outcome.

Gee, the Tigers need to get back on track. But they should beat the Titans, who don't have the depth for a late charge this year.

Roosters v Storm, game of the round. If either side wins, and the Warriors lose, then that side jumps the Warriors on the table for the first time since round one (Storm) or for the very first time this year (Roosters).

Particularly in the Storm's case that shows how well we've gone so far. It's also something of a 'double-barrelled' up-yours to the rugby league media who've traditionally written us off. Their beloved Storm and Roosters behind the Warriors for all but round one, imagine that?

I saw the Eels had a great recent record against the dragons, winning past 5-6 games.
That normally means you have some psychological edge over that team.
But Eels a basket case vs Dragons 2018.
Half time it's looking very psychological.

Blair

Coach
I'm glad we're not relying on Parra to do us any serious favours. They're the pits.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Went to bed early last night and had written the Dragons off at that point ! Great result for me though, have to spend the rest of the year death riding the Eels and Dogs lol

JJ

Immortal
Us vs the Sharks is a big game too - although still not in the groove, and still with injuries the Sharks have a serious pack, and quality across the park - and while there are still some doubts over us we're in the top 4... beating them would be a tremendous win... and I think they'll be keen to expose our fragile middle again

Blair

Coach
Excuse my bitterness but Melbourne have jumped us on the ladder for the first time since round one by way of a one-point win in Adelaide. We should've won by a point last night and stayed ahead of the Storm!

A clear forward pass to win the game in front of the touchie! It's quite unreal. We've discussed this, it's not corruption it's just plain incompetence.

JJ

Immortal
Penrith looking like spoon contenders not top 4, bit like us I guess

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Tough watch that game, plenty of errors but I'll take 2 points down after the dish up from the refs there, last year Perenara hammered us 14-4 at this ground and at halftime today it's 8-3 with only 1 team being looked at, very frustrating

JJ

Immortal
Spoon contenders is a bit much haha. Are the Dragons contenders too after the Eels match?
They're playing very badly and Manly are just woeful

Rep games haven't helped the better teams

Excuse my bitterness but Melbourne have jumped us on the ladder for the first time since round one by way of a one-point win in Adelaide. We should've won by a point last night and stayed ahead of the Storm!

A clear forward pass to win the game in front of the touchie! It's quite unreal. We've discussed this, it's not corruption it's just plain incompetence.

We aren't the first team this year to lose a game based on a forward pass and probably won't be the last.

As I said we have the technology to know the speed of players their GPS trackers etc, SO why can't the multimillion dollar bunker use this information to determine momentum etc. Throw a few algorithms in there for some tech talk so we get this right. We have so many tv angles that its getting a bit embarrassing.

Always thought it would be great for a ball to light up red when it went forward.

Smart ball technology is what we need.
:)

On the Storm note, they kind of smashed us, so not so upset about them being above us on the table.

Top 4 is going to be a push especially if we get games like last night.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Thanks mate, not a pretty game but a gutsy win with the injuries during the match so I'll take that, nice breathing space in the spoon battle too !