What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 2 2021 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Footy's back, because the weather's turned into an early winter, in NSW at least.

Match of the round is first up tonight, Eels at home to the Storm. All Eels fans know they need to go one better and be able to beat the likes of Melbourne and the Roosters, in big games, if they're serious about winning the Premiership.

Friday 6pm, dud-time in NSW, for the Warriors v Knights. Both sides will want to get some momentum going, after first round wins. That slot is, of course, prime viewing time in NZ! After the Americas Cup win this week it'll be a nice bonus if the Warriors win too. Enjoy.

Titans v Broncos, Friday night prime-time. That looks the goods. Will we see the two-point field-goal for the first time?

Saturday sees the Dogs v Panthers, standard Sydney-fare, and an already under pressure Dessie take on South Sydney at Brookie. I'd love to go to that game. Dessie is often dangerous when he's wounded. The Cows and Dragons close off the day up in Townsville. There's already at least one coach under a bit of pressure there also! Oh, it's the ex-Warriors one. Will under-fire JT2 come out firing himself?

Sunday sees the embattled Tigers take on the Chooks. There's some doom and gloom about this prospect in the Tigers support army but, if they win, then that could really get their season cracking.

Last game of the round and it's the Sharks at home to the in-form Raiders. I notice Johnson is still out injured from last year. Unlike the Warriors, the Sharks can win without him. Canberra are favourites though.

Cheers.

Blair

Coach
I reckon we can refer to Taumalolo as just JT now, as opposed to JT2. The original JT is retired and just commentating these days. They won't get confused, I think.

Gee it's cold and bleak here in the Blue Mountains NSW, real footy weather. Now, where'd I store that Warriors scarf?

Just watching the game now I'm kind of missing scrums. If anything they kept most of the forwards in one place allowing the backs more space. It's pissing down in Parra and the game's a dour one.

Last edited:

Campion

Juniors
Papali'i had much less meters but was impressive again for Eels. 43 tackles wiht 1 miss, and also had a hand in a key attacking play. He's looking much better at the Eels. I am happy for him.

JJ

Immortal
Papali'i had much less meters but was impressive again for Eels. 43 tackles wiht 1 miss, and also had a hand in a key attacking play. He's looking much better at the Eels. I am happy for him.

So did Lane.... something in it?

TheDMC

Bench

In my view Papali’i was very average (did his basic job, but without any elan) at the warriors but was actually playing his best footy for the club last year, especially the second half. He went from annoyingly average to signs of being a good player. But he has gone up two or three notches already this year. Fair enough we let him go, but how did he suddenly get so effective?

Blair

Coach
In my view Papali’i was very average (did his basic job, but without any elan) at the warriors but was actually playing his best footy for the club last year, especially the second half. He went from annoyingly average to signs of being a good player. But he has gone up two or three notches already this year. Fair enough we let him go, but how did he suddenly get so effective?

You'll remember he was very good in his first year at the Warriors. Then he got injured, came back very average, then became promising again towards the end of last season.

Brad Arthur has gotten hold of that equation.

SmashEmBro

Juniors

Honestly, I think the big thing is that he had a change of scenery and he actually had to put in, or he was f**ked.
We’ll see how he goes if he ends up signing a longer contract at some point, but at the moment he’s probably on a minimal contract and will have to fight for absolutely everything.
Good on him, I think he has a lot of talent, but whether it was him, the club, or a combination of both, he was lazy when he was here and was ineffective

Blair

Coach
Titans 28 Broncos 16.

There's a mini-crisis happening at Red Hill! They looked like a bunch of clueless kids running around for the first 65 minutes.

Blair

Coach
Come on, Manly! Give us an upset.

14-6 down though, 12 minutes into the second-half.

Blair

Coach
Bugger, Benji turns back the clock with some nice footwork and passing. Cook scores, 20-12, fifteen to go.

Taupau 123 metres so far.

Edit, game over, comfortable 26-12 win for Souths.

The game ends with a quasi-brawl! At least one punch thrown, Jaydn Su'a it was. He's off for ten minutes , with one second to go!

Plus, Panthers won 28-0 over the Dogs, so that's at least round three before they'll concede their first point.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Rd 2 Ladder:

upload_2021-3-21_21-25-27.png

It's always a flat weekend of league when the Warriors lose, especially first up on a Friday night.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Raiders weren’t convincing in that second half at all, got very lucky that Townsend left his kicking boots at home. Should convince our boys that they’re beatable if we’re up for it.

Blair

Coach
The Raiders weren’t convincing in that second half at all, got very lucky that Townsend left his kicking boots at home. Should convince our boys that they’re beatable if we’re up for it.

It's not a game we can afford to lose either. The prospect of being one from three to start the season doesn't feel good.

Thank heavens our hoodoo-slayer, Stephen Kearney, took our team down to Canberra for a win, circa 2017.

Oh, and Penrith! Zero points conceded going into round three. We always knew they could attack but now they have a brickwall defence too.

Round 7 or 8 and I might be on their bandwagon.

Campion

Juniors
Sounds bad. I'm just curious about the relevance of the waiting taxi -- am I missing something very obvious?

Latest posts