What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 8 2021 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He's putting on all the Tim Tszyu and Paul Gallen boxing fights through his promo company. Doing pretty well tbh and bringing some attention back to boxing in Australia

Yeah he is running a company, no limit Boxing I think it is, and he certainly hasn’t skipped any meals since retiring

I know his penalty in that game looked awful but he is too good a bloke for it to be deliberate

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Win or lose, GFs are always good times to remember. When did you book your flight, the week before?

The game had so many moments. I recall a brilliant run out of our twenty (it might've even been from inside our in-goal) from Inu. He got over halfway, then knocked-on with a quick ptb. It summed up his entire career that! Brilliant and flaky. I did love his personal battle with Matai that night though. We forget that he could put a tackle on.

Also, speaking of Rose, didn't he come down hard on Heremia with a forearm? That went unpenalised?

Which one of our esteemed refs was on duty that night?

Also Glenn Stewart, surely he's suspended for more than three games after the 'Battle of Brookie'?

Another memory was that the day was a wet one, but had cleared up by kick-off. For some reason I thought that favoured Manly, big match experience with better ball retention for starters.

From memory I think I booked that one after the prelim on the Friday night v Brisbane. 2008 I was there for the final 2 weeks so got to go to the prelim v the Warriors then the GF

The Rose one was penalised from memory and ended up showing the difference in intent, Warriors took the 2, 5-10 mins later we chose to attack from a penalty and Stewart scored

Think the clear standout for me was the Stewart grubber inside his own 20 that led to the crucial try before ht

Speaking of Matai didn’t he have a head clash with Tupou that split both of them massively, think I read you could see bone with Matai

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
2011 was the only year I've lived in Australia. Was in Canberra at Uni there and working part time. Watched the Warriors at Woolongong and Canberra, then managed to skive a work trip to Melbourne to catch the epic win over the Storm in the prelim (out stormed them) and made the trip to watch the GF too. Such good times. Such a long time ago.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Warriors had all 3 sides there and it was going to be the dawn of their dominance with Bluey coming in, 9-10m months later he was gone

Would be interesting to see the team lists of the reserves and 20s and see where the players ended up

TheDMC

Bench
Went for a lurk on the Manly and Canberra pages (for game day analysis and Sticky lols, respectively) but both those team's pages on LU are dead, no activity. Do the supporters go elsewhere for their chats, rants, and arguments?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Went for a lurk on the Manly and Canberra pages (for game day analysis and Sticky lols, respectively) but both those team's pages on LU are dead, no activity. Do the supporters go elsewhere for their chats, rants, and arguments?

Silvertails is the place to go for the Manly chat, one of the best going round and they have a bet each game on the outcome with the Warriors forum, which had the Silvertails logo as its header for a week recently

www.silvertails.net

JJ

Immortal
Warriors had all 3 sides there and it was going to be the dawn of their dominance with Bluey coming in, 9-10m months later he was gone

Would be interesting to see the team lists of the reserves and 20s and see where the players ended up
Should have been what Penrith are looking like now...

Things can change quickly as per Ben Alexander in 92, but Bluey was such a dumb when the joint was humming

Blair

Coach
From memory I think I booked that one after the prelim on the Friday night v Brisbane. 2008 I was there for the final 2 weeks so got to go to the prelim v the Warriors then the GF.

Your memories of 2008 and 2011 must be priceless. I love my memories from those years too. Ultimately losing to Manly doesn't affect me too much.

...The Rose one was penalised from memory..

He should've been binned!

...and ended up showing the difference in intent, Warriors took the 2, 5-10 mins later we chose to attack from a penalty and Stewart scored...

We had the early heebie-jeebies. There was an early Manly knock-on, or something, near their twenty. We got the scrum but Maloney dropped the ball on the first or second tackle. No wonder we took the two the next time.

...Speaking of Matai didn’t he have a head clash with Tupou that split both of them massively, think I read you could see bone with Matai

I thought Matai slammed Inu to the deck, then Inu replied sometime later, with interest? They were both brutal hits.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Should have been what Penrith are looking like now...

Imagine living in the Warriors house that Ivan built, and still lives in, circa 2012 and beyond?

Things can change quickly as per Ben Alexander in 92, but Bluey was such a dumb when the joint was humming

Very dark, but I inadvertently drove through that intersection five times a week for a year, 25 years after young Alexander died there. I only found out when I researched his death. I would've thought there might've been a plaque or something?

Reactions: JJ

TheDMC

Bench
Silvertails is the place to go for the Manly chat, one of the best going round and they have a bet each game on the outcome with the Warriors forum, which had the Silvertails logo as its header for a week recently

www.silvertails.net

Just read the match thread and its crassic. Your mob are certainly passionate, but I think they might be somewhat bipolar...first three pages most of them banging on about smashing the warriors, winning big etc. Last few pages depression and despondency after learning Matai and Aloiai are scratched. What's your handle name there Beaver?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Your memories of 2008 and 2011 must be priceless. I love my memories from those years too. Ultimately losing to Manly doesn't affect me too much.

He should've been binned!

We had the early heebie-jeebies. There was an early Manly knock-on, or something, near their twenty. We got the scrum but Maloney dropped the ball on the first or second tackle. No wonder we took the two the next time.

I thought Matai slammed Inu to the deck, then Inu replied sometime later, with interest? They were both brutal hits.

Think they got each other with some big ones but it was the head clash that injured him badly, he came back and Taylor went straight through him to score

Remember getting nervous about the result until Lyon dropped onto a loose ball with the Warriors hot on attack

Those years were good, 2008 will always be peak rugby league for me, to come from no club to that so quickly. Smart recruiting and very lucky with the batch of players that came through together

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Just read the match thread and its crassic. Your mob are certainly passionate, but I think they might be somewhat bipolar...first three pages most of them banging on about smashing the warriors, winning big etc. Last few pages depression and despondency after learning Matai and Aloiai are scratched. What's your handle name there Beaver?

Lol mate the place gets that feral after a loss that I can’t read it now haha. I’m Kiwi Eagle on there but haven’t been posting this year. That whole forum was built back in the mid 2000s when Jye Mullane was stinking the joint up and a big group got banned from the offical manly website by Peter Peters

WellsNZ

Juniors

20s was

Slaimankhel
Adam Henry
Sosaia Feki
Kony
Dylan Collier
Carlos Tuimavave
Jordan Meads
Ligi Sao
Eko Malu
Sam Lousi
Donald Tony
Ben Henry
Ikahihifo
Havili
George Maka
Paasi
Taukeiaho
Siulongua Fotofili
Toka Likiliki

Vulcans was

Fish
WIllie Peace
Sione Lousi
Ivan Penehe
Niuvoa Taka
Brett Seymour
Godinet
Gavet
Alehana Mara
Latimore
Ta'ai
Matt Robinson
Isaac John
Darin Kingi
Mataupu Poching
Tulson Caird
Steve Rapira
Gelling

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
20s was

Slaimankhel
Adam Henry
Sosaia Feki
Kony
Dylan Collier
Carlos Tuimavave
Jordan Meads
Ligi Sao
Eko Malu
Sam Lousi
Donald Tony
Ben Henry
Ikahihifo
Havili
George Maka
Paasi
Taukeiaho
Siulongua Fotofili
Toka Likiliki

Vulcans was

Fish
WIllie Peace
Sione Lousi
Ivan Penehe
Niuvoa Taka
Brett Seymour
Godinet
Gavet
Alehana Mara
Latimore
Ta'ai
Matt Robinson
Isaac John
Darin Kingi
Mataupu Poching
Tulson Caird
Steve Rapira
Gelling

gotta say out of that lot there haven’t really been many who’ve gone on to do great things. SST has obviously become pretty top shelf at the Chooks, Paasi and Havili have had a solid NRL careers and Hurrell has been Hurrell, but that’s really about it.