What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave comp

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Excellent write up!

Do you know the name of the author/editor?

I just spoke with the gentleman who answered to their contact number for Big News Network..

He stated they have a policy of no bylines on their articles, something they have had in place since their inception.

I congratulated him on the article and for supporting Rugby league supporters in the fight against news ltd.

I urge everyone to share this article widely.

some11

Referee
This is actually hilarious now, Rupes doesn't have the world on a string anymore.

When alcoholics with no sources are your propagandists you've already lost.

Chook

First Grade
Seeing News Limited butthurt is the best.

You won't kill it a second time you miserable old f**k.

Chook.

If the NRL clubs ran there clubs professionally instead of relying on NRL grants/bail-outs then none of this nonsense would occur. This clubs had decades to get there stuff together it's about time they took some responsibility for once and stop blaming Smith & co for there woes. Need a hard look at there club and what there doing wrong and fix it instead of whining and complaining in typical league manner.

There the reason we can't expand due to them holding the game down with there complains about money/admin while not doing a damn thing to fix it up themselves. Self-interest selfish clubs looking after themselves and failing to see the bigger picture for the code.

bileduct

Coach
Interesting article that.

I'd forgotten about Channel 10 in all of this, and their increasing business relationship with Foxtel. They were originally negotiating for broadcast rights but then it all went to Channel 9.

I bet that's what a lot of this butt hurt is really about. They thought they would be able to rebuild Channel 10 around Rugby League like they did with Foxtel originally. Foxtel was never really going to lose out because their NRL subscribers either have it to watch all their own teams games or they enjoy watching rugby league in general.

I reckon Foxtel was negotiating for Ten/Foxtel rights as their preferential model. The NRL would have looked at what has happened with V8 Supercars coverage this year and opted for the bidder that was more likely to put their game out to the widest possible audience.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Hqhahaha, the Murdoch press is even trying to say this Rebel league will feature the Waratahs.

Probably becuase they have been saying "12 rebel teams" for weeks and the Warriors called bullshit.

RoosTah

Juniors
Hqhahaha, the Murdoch press is even trying to say this Rebel league will feature the Waratahs.

Probably becuase they have been saying "12 rebel teams" for weeks and the Warriors called bullshit.

Wait what? The Waratahs? Are they going to suddenly play league are they? lol

butchmcdick

Immortal
If anyone didn't watch offsiders this morning check it out on iview

I like what the guy from the project said

The only reason to watch foxtel is for sport. For anything else people are illegally downloading content or using netflix. In five years time there will be no reason to pay for foxtel.

I think roy masters mentioned 49 of the top 100 shows on foxtel this year were nrl games. It is normally higher but the Asian cup and cricket World Cup had an impact

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

He says the code's sponsor Telstra will not renew its $8 million a year sponsorship deal.
Who says they won't? Surely Telstra wouldn't be making a decision this far out, and communicating it to News Corp without making a public announcement. In any event there would probably be a line-up of sponsors prepared to take their place.

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/...h-in-all-out-war-with-australian-rugby-league

I wouodnt be surprised if Telsra lost the naming rights but i very much doubt it would be their call...

Like the situation with Harvey Norman and the Origin series, DSmith would probably tell them "youve had it too long, we need to test the open market".

Bundled into the digital rights, Telsra got it for a song even in the most recent deal. I cannot imagine the ARLC giving to them again.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Someone else could probably do this better, but how likely are each team to rebel?
Dragons- nrl owned
Tigers- nrl owned
Newcastle- nrl owned
Titans- nrl owned
Souths- history, Souths fans wouldn't cop it going with news Ltd
Eagles- history, Fulton and arthurson would still have influence at the club
Panthers- phil gould going to super leagues?
Roosters- haven't they got connections with 9?
Bulldogs- Todd greenberg have any influence left?
Broncos- most likely, news Ltd heavily involved with the clubs?

How about the other clubs?

alien

Referee
is it possible news ltd could actually start their own comp again (super league) and persuade clubs to join by offering them much bigger grants than the nrl give??? the poorer clubs could join and say they chose to so they would definitely survive financially (except the 4 who already signed long term with the nrl)

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Hah, I f**king love that Big News Network site already.

Yet only 10 days ago, possibly the most respected rugby league writer for the Daily Telegraph Phil Rothfield was saying: "The biggest winners in the NRL's new television deal are the fans. Four games live on free-to-air television is a massive improvement on the previous deal in 2013 when there was originally only one live match on Friday nights."

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/235979721/rupert-murdoch-spits-dummy-big-time
Haha, sick burn!

bileduct

Coach
Someone else could probably do this better, but how likely are each team to rebel?
Dragons- nrl owned
Tigers- nrl owned
Newcastle- nrl owned
Titans- nrl owned

There's no f**king way the Raiders are likely to be part of this fictional rebel league.

The new NRL deal with Channel 9 is a massive improvement for us. We'll get better FTA exposure and no more Monday night games.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If anyone didn't watch offsiders this morning check it out on iview

I like what the guy from the project said

The only reason to watch foxtel is for sport. For anything else people are illegally downloading content or using netflix. In five years time there will be no reason to pay for foxtel.

I think roy masters mentioned 49 of the top 100 shows on foxtel this year were nrl games. It is normally higher but the Asian cup and cricket World Cup had an impact

it dropped a bit as well following Fox getting all VFL games similcast live...

If fox was to get the Thursday/Friday games live, we'd be back up to 70/80 of the top 100 we were getting pre-2012

alien

Referee
Dragons- nrl owned
Tigers- nrl owned
Newcastle- nrl owned
Titans- nrl owned

lol, i can't believe this is even being talked about. we had to go through this bullshit 2 decades ago, which lead to the death of my original club in first grade (magpies). i nearly walked away from the game for good at the end of the 1999 season (and noone would be able to blame me if i did).

f**k off and die murdoch

adamkungl

Immortal
There's simply no way the clubs are as shitty as the Telegraph has made out to be.

There are some gripes I'm sure but no way the majority of clubs are going to throw their toys out of the cot when the competition is richer than ever, and there's little to no danger of dying with the NRL jumping in to prop up troubled clubs.

Latest posts