What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl salary cap set to hit 11 million

TheRam

Coach
You know the whole reason why the sport started in Australia was the governing body of the nswru not giving players their share of the money they made

the higher cap has kept the stars in the nrl when at one stage union was picking whoever they wanted

if nrl players can earn 2 million plus good luck to them. And if league has higher wages then union then of course that’s an area where the game can take any union player they want

if you look at the player pool of union plus those juniors they could add hundreds of players to the nrl talent pool

the players will do a similar deal as last time so if the arlc get more revenue then the cap goes up accordingly

this 11 million cap is before any new tv deals are done for team 18

nobody begrudges nfl nba or premier league soccer players from getting ridiculous money

the arlc just cut out all the wasted money that geenberg was spending. Literally they cut 70 million out of spending and the game is actually in better shape than before

If the ARLC and V'Landys really want to earn their pay cheque and make the most powerful and influencing decision and outcome for Rugby League and in fact all other sports that could recruit from outside Australia, they would go to work on the Federal Sports Minister and the Treasurer and try to get them to look at and eventually reforming the Tax act to exempt Sports people from a large wack of their taxable income just like France does to entice talent to their country.

For example France only taxed Semi Radradra eight per cent under exemptions for “entertainers” written into French legislation to lure foreign talent and keep local talent.

That is the way to go if we could somehow pull it off. But we now have Lord V'Landys running the game and we hear how he has the ear of all the pollies, and he is the deal maker or deal makers. Also we have a sports(RL) loving Prime Minister right now that is a also a labour man and we know how the left love giving money to good causes more then the right. Right? Well this would be a great cause for all sport in this country.

The instant love affair we would see from athletes from all over the world would be in my opinion mind blowing. It would attract so many topline athletes to our shores that would normally never entertain the thought otherwise. Soccer would also get a massive boost from something like this. It would be a way to offset our weak Australian dollar as well. The list of international sports that this would boost is endless and as an extra side bonus, the AFL would get virtually nothing from this tremendous outcome. Win freakin win win!

Sure this would be a massive endeavour to get it to ever happen and V'Landys' cause would be strengthened if he allied himself with other sporting leaders like from Basketball and the like, but it is definitely worth the effort if by some miracle they could pull it off. I'm sure if you studied the French model closely they would find many positives and advantages to a tax reform such as this. That is what V'Landys and the other sports leaders need to collate and keep pointing out to the Government and what beneficial outcomes the nation overall will gain from this.

Filling our League, Soccer and Basketball stadiums with extra fans and the positive knock on effect of down the line sales that that creates would be one such positive that could potentially negate any loss of tax revenue from the athletes themselves I would think. I mean Governments bid big on sporting events to be played in their cities because of the business revenue that those events create. Well this will only make those sorts of sporting events even bigger and generate more interest if we have more of the better athletes in the world in them competing. And we will be creating more blockbuster events if we can keep getting better and better athlete to our country that people want to see.

Anyway just a thought, but something that maybe should be looked at if we really want to change the playing field in this country especially in RL's case we could literally take over all the best talent coming out of the Pacific overnight and European Rugby wouldn't get a look in like it does now.

TheRam

Coach
Yeh let’s not worry about attracting people we actually need like drs and nurses,let’s give millionaire sports people tax breaks lol.

Attracting Doctors or nurses is hardly a tax issue. But attracting international entertainers and elite sports people can be and often is. That is why many European countries have given tax breaks to this sector of society at different times over the years.

There are much less high quality entertainers or Sports people in the world then Doctors or nurses. Failing to have enough of them speaks to a failure in politics and policy not competition for competent people from around the world.

When talking about entertainers and sports people we are referring to a very finite commodity that is in short supply and very high demand. The failings of the medical industry have to do with years of bad policy not lack of people with talent. Australia is more then capable of producing the very best and enough doctors and nurses to meet our needs if the politicians got out of the way.

We are talking about to very different things here.

Colk

First Grade
Attracting Doctors or nurses is hardly a tax issue. But attracting international entertainers and elite sports people can be and often is. That is why many European countries have given tax breaks to this sector of society at different times over the years.

There are much less high quality entertainers or Sports people in the world then Doctors or nurses. Failing to have enough of them speaks to a failure in politics and policy not competition for competent people from around the world.

When talking about entertainers and sports people we are referring to a very finite commodity that is in short supply and very high demand. The failings of the medical industry have to do with years of bad policy not lack of people with talent. Australia is more then capable of producing the very best and enough doctors and nurses to meet our needs if the politicians got out of the way.

Well that is a relative argument. What’s more important to a society: a high functioning health system or bringing in entertainers.

To be honest, particularly when nurses are concerned, pay and conditions are a significant factor in attracting talent. Thus, I don’t understand how giving tax breaks or incentives to bring in foreign nurses wouldn’t be considered important; particularly as a shortage of available nurses will continue to be a factor.

Perth Red

Post Whore

If you want to attract them from overseas it is no different. If you want local to make that their career choice it makes a big difference. I'd be more keen to see extra Drs and nurses in Australia than overpaid sports and pop stars. Besides your suggestion does nothing to improve NRL. You think French union players re going to give up their lifestyle and hefty pay packets for a better tax rate in Aus?

TheRam

Coach
Well that is a relative argument. What’s more important to a society: a high functioning health system or bringing in entertainers.

To be honest, particularly when nurses are concerned, pay and conditions are a significant factor in attracting talent. Thus, I don’t understand how giving tax breaks or incentives to bring in foreign nurses wouldn’t be considered important; particularly as a shortage of available nurses will continue to be a factor.

Look this is a much larger political topic then I want to get bogged down here in a Footy forum to discuss. Lets just agree to disagree.

But my suggestion isn't without precedent for no reason. It works and has merit, whether you agree with its morality or benefits to society point of view.

If you want to argue for a better tax rate for Doctors or nurses, sure go for it, I would probably support it too, but this is a footy discussion and therefore I suggested it for sports people. Also remember it isn't about one or the other, tax reform for this country is well and truly over due. If we did it properly everyone would and should get massive tax reductions right across the board, or more to the point there is a legitimate way to abolish all 126 federal income taxes completely and bring in twice as much tax revenue at a fraction of what we all pay now in taxes, but again that is a discussion for another day and place.

TheRam

Coach
If you want to attract them from overseas it is no different. If you want local to make that their career choice it makes a big difference. I'd be more keen to see extra Drs and nurses in Australia than overpaid sports and pop stars. Besides your suggestion does nothing to improve NRL. You think French union players re going to give up their lifestyle and hefty pay packets for a better tax rate in Aus?

You have no idea as with many things you keep arguing about mate. Just go back to whinging about V'Landys being a dick and not giving you a footy team to focus on to whinge about.

Reactions: siv

Colk

First Grade
Look this is a much larger political topic then I want to get bogged down here in a Footy forum to discuss. Lets just agree to disagree.

But my suggestion isn't without precedent for no reason. It works and has merit, whether you agree with its morality or benefits to society point of view.

If you want to argue for a better tax rate for Doctors or nurses, sure go for it, I would probably support it too, but this is a footy discussion and therefore I suggested it for sports people. Also remember it isn't about one or the other, tax reform for this country is well and truly over due. If we did it properly everyone would and should get massive tax reductions right across the board, or more to the point there is a legitimate way to abolish all 126 federal income taxes completely and bring in twice as much tax revenue at a fraction of what we all pay now in taxes, but again that is a discussion for another day and place.

Fair enough. I agree that tax reform is something desperately needed and has been for as long as I can recall. I just wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for it because like everything it all becomes a little too difficult.

Another impediment is the amount of red tape. The fact that fully qualified persons overseas have to go through training here is a problem.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have no idea as with many things you keep arguing about mate. Just go back to whinging about V'Landys being a dick and not giving you a footy team to focus on to whinge about.
Good argument.
I work in the health and aged care service, I know exactly what this country needs more of, and it ain’t Prima Donna millionaire sports people.

TheRam

Coach
Good argument.
I work in the health and aged care service, I know exactly what this country needs more of, and it ain’t Prima Donna millionaire sports people.

Yes I agree, we need better politicians that can give everyone a fairer shake.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there a salary cap for players outside the 30 man squad? Wondering if 16 years upwards has a cap of some sort or limit what you can pay these kids in SG Ball etc.?

YoungPanther

Juniors
I think being tax exempt for O/S athletes is a great idea.

Imagine how many players the Fumbeball could attract from all their O/S competitions.

siv

First Grade
Is there a salary cap for players outside the 30 man squad? Wondering if 16 years upwards has a cap of some sort or limit what you can pay these kids in SG Ball etc.?
None only the 6 development players

But if player is worth more than player 30 they must be included in the cap

Perth Red

Post Whore
None only the 6 development players

But if player is worth more than player 30 they must be included in the cap
So let’s say player 30 is being paid $150k, does that mean a club could in theory pay its sg ball players $125k each?

siv

First Grade
So let’s say player 30 is being paid $150k, does that mean a club could in theory pay its sg ball players $125k each?
As long as all players 1-30+6 are getting more

Then yes

But it also means you have spent $5.4 mil of your $9 mil cap with $4 mil share with everyone else

Player 30 minmum wage will be $85k next year and 6 Development players $60k

So in theory anyone else RG, U21 or Ball could earn up to this

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
As long as all players 1-30+6 are getting more

Then yes

But it also means you have spent $5.4 mil of your $9 mil cap with $4 mil share with everyone else

Player 30 minmum wage will be $85k next year and 6 Development players $60k

So in theory anyone else RG, U21 or Ball could earn up to this
Cheers, I wondered how some clubs were stacking their jnrs.

siv

First Grade
Cheers, I wondered how some clubs were stacking their jnrs.
There were advantages in the old $250k NYC salary cap in helping spread talent. But it may need to also double to $500k like the salary cap did

If we could apply that today with a minimum wage you would have 20 U21 players earning around $20-40k with the 6 development players on $60k in the main cap. I would set minimum wage as $20k

As players 18 to 30 dominate RG. You would have around 10 others on $60-75k contracts to complete your RG squad. Here I would have minimum wage as $50k

You can apply simple extension if the salary cap rule that if your U21 earning exceeds RG minmum you must be registered as a RG player

10$ Ferret

Staff member
There is a cap for Flegg players in nsw which is not that high, but it does not include education expenses which is good.
I believe a sports person should be able to earn what ever the market for their sport provides. Be it $100s a win or 100 million a year.
But I do not believe that the NRL has a "real" market to continue to enable player salaries that they have not. Its ridiculous. Its a manufactured market created by foolish media payments.
Who pays for it, us. Foxtel is getting out of control with the cost, I also remember when one of the appealing bits was no ads.

As more and more people take on the lower cost stuff like Kayo, fox will be incredibly challenged to recoup their money

Latest posts