What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL scheduling discussion

VictoryFC

Bench
6pm game makes sense. The prev arrangement was very inefficient, splitting TV audience for no reason. If you get rid of 6pm game, you could have it at 1pm Sat or 2pm Sunday. But if you want 2 games on Fri, has to be 6pm. If people cant get to games, well, tv is the paymaster so hard luck.

Stallion

First Grade
6pm game makes sense. The prev arrangement was very inefficient, splitting TV audience for no reason. If you get rid of 6pm game, you could have it at 1pm Sat or 2pm Sunday. But if you want 2 games on Fri, has to be 6pm. If people cant get to games, well, tv is the paymaster so hard luck.

The tv aspect is another valid point. However the family friendly timeslot for particularly younger families is also a positive. Understand the travel from work issues but a younger family demographic is more likely to attend an earlier game than a later game.

Billythekid

First Grade
There is a ton of missed potential for Sunday games. How awesome would it be having a BBQ on a Sunday and being able to have 3 games on back to back to back. IMO it would rate really well especially if it’s pushed hard ala super Saturday.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I remember people whinging about not being able to watch both Friday night games live, be careful what you wish for!
In this day and age I’d be more than happy to have both games live on Fox at same time and choose which one I watched live and which I watch on iq delay, or flick between them.

The idea every game has to be stand alone live is an anchor around the games neck for crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is a ton of missed potential for Sunday games. How awesome would it be having a BBQ on a Sunday and being able to have 3 games on back to back to back. IMO it would rate really well especially if it’s pushed hard ala super Saturday.

That Sunday will be the expansions ninth game spot. The 6pm Sunday slot will likely be filled by perth every other week as makes it a 3pm/4pm ko here.

Ideal line up 2023
Friday both games 7:30pm simulcast
Saturday 1pm 3pm 5pm 7:30pm
Sunday 2pm 4pm 6pm

VictoryFC

Bench
I remember people whinging about not being able to watch both Friday night games live, be careful what you wish for!
In this day and age I’d be more than happy to have both games live on Fox at same time and choose which one I watched live and which I watch on iq delay, or flick between them.

The idea every game has to be stand alone live is an anchor around the games neck for crowds.

Go look at the games scheduled for Fri night this season, Would be a massive waste to simulcast. Why get one massive tv audience when you can get it twice? What you are suggesting is to reduce the broadcast value of the game, which is ridiculous.

Last Week

Bench
That Sunday will be the expansions ninth game spot. The 6pm Sunday slot will likely be filled by perth every other week as makes it a 3pm/4pm ko here.

Ideal line up 2023
Friday both games 7:30pm simulcast
Saturday 1pm 3pm 5pm 7:30pm
Sunday 2pm 4pm 6pm

Go look at the games scheduled for Fri night this season, Would be a massive waste to simulcast. Why get one massive tv audience when you can get it twice? What you are suggesting is to reduce the broadcast value of the game, which is ridiculous.

I have to agree with Vic.

The Friday night simulcast wasn't a success.

And I'm willing to eat humble pie and say that Friday 6pm can work.

Thursday night is the one that needs to go.

Friday - 6pm, 8pm (FTA) .
Saturday - 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm(FTA).
Sunday - 2pm, 4pm(FTA), 6:30pm.

Nine losing the prime time spot on Thursday should be offset by getting a Saturday night game.

Fox losing their exclusive Saturday night should be offset by getting Sunday night prime time.

azza29

Juniors
Channel 9 wants a lead-in to their 6PM news. You'd need to put all those timeslots back an hour and go with 2PM, 4PM and 6PM.
People still watch TV news? I thought the internet killed that off :D

I agree that from a broadcaster perspective those times are probably more desirable, but I’d still prefer the other option.

Marlins

Juniors
The Thursday slot would work a lot better, if kick off was at 7:15pm/7:30pm. 8pm+ kick off on Thursday is ridiculous.

The 6pm game, Would go awesome for ratings if it was on free to air. The biggest complaint I hear from Warrior fans, is they never see their team on FTA. 6pm FTA could solve this. Also a lot of potential if Nz2 ever happened.

If Perth were ever added, 1pm/3pm/5pm Sunday games would be a no brainer.

Valheru

Coach
The other solution would be to end this ridiculous obsession with stand alone slots for all games and have a few at the same time and/or overlapping like every other major sporting competition in the world.

Friday - 8PM (FTA)
Saturday - 3PM (Fox), 5:30PM x 2 (Fox), 8PM (FTA)
Sunday - 2PM x 2 (Fox), 4PM (FTA)

It really isn't that difficult and the games that are on at the same time would ideally be aimed at different markets i.e. Sydney and non-Sydney.

In addition I would make the Friday slot what it used to be in the early 2000s, the marquee game of the week, make it an event again. Have the clubs earn their spot in that game based on previous year's performance so roosters/Melbourne would get more than any other club this year for example.

I would also give something back to channel 9 given they lose Thursday night, I would make their Saturday and Sunday games post round 12 floating fixtures meaning with appropriate notice, say 4 weeks (or 2 in the case of the final round) they can choose on of the other games that day to broadcast moving it to the later slot and moving the original game back to the earlier slot.

Last Week

Bench
The other solution would be to end this ridiculous obsession with stand alone slots for all games and have a few at the same time and/or overlapping like every other major sporting competition in the world.

Friday - 8PM (FTA)
Saturday - 3PM (Fox), 5:30PM x 2 (Fox), 8PM (FTA)
Sunday - 2PM x 2 (Fox), 4PM (FTA)

It really isn't that difficult and the games that are on at the same time would ideally be aimed at different markets i.e. Sydney and non-Sydney.

In addition I would make the Friday slot what it used to be in the early 2000s, the marquee game of the week, make it an event again. Have the clubs earn their spot in that game based on previous year's performance so roosters/Melbourne would get more than any other club this year for example.

I would also give something back to channel 9 given they lose Thursday night, I would make their Saturday and Sunday games post round 12 floating fixtures meaning with appropriate notice, say 4 weeks (or 2 in the case of the final round) they can choose on of the other games that day to broadcast moving it to the later slot and moving the original game back to the earlier slot.

How good would it be for crowds to have a redzone sort of situation on Sundays?

Friday 8pm
Saturday 3pm, 5pm and 7:30pm
Sunday Four games starting at 4pm.

Nine pick which game they want to broadcast on Sunday at 4pm, Fox do a 'Redzone' sort of broadcast at the same time. Everyone gets to go to day games.

It'll never happen. People and broadcasters would whinge.

Illawarra Tiger

Juniors
Looking though these comments and some valid points have been made.

I like the idea of the NRL making Friday’s and Sunday afternoons special again.

I know it’s difficult in predicting who teams would be travelling when the draw is released but these games need to be the best 2 games of the round.

I am not a fan of Thursday or Monday Night football and believe that The 8pm start is too late and needs to be at 7:30pm. (Monday used to be 7pm)

Friday 735pm
Saturday 1:30pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm, 7:30pm

Sunday: 1pm, 3pm, 5pm

Marlins

Juniors
Looking though these comments and some valid points have been made.

I like the idea of the NRL making Friday’s and Sunday afternoons special again.

I know it’s difficult in predicting who teams would be travelling when the draw is released but these games need to be the best 2 games of the round.

I am not a fan of Thursday or Monday Night football and believe that The 8pm start is too late and needs to be at 7:30pm. (Monday used to be 7pm)

Friday 735pm
Saturday 1:30pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm, 7:30pm

Sunday: 1pm, 3pm, 5pm
1:30pm would be Terrible for juniors on Saturday. I think 3:30pm is sometimes pushing it.

Knight76

Juniors
Broadcasters are never going to allow games to overlap, thats potential ad revenue down the drain. They are not going to want their audience to have to choose between games.

Valheru

Coach
Broadcasters are never going to allow games to overlap, thats potential ad revenue down the drain. They are not going to want their audience to have to choose between games.

They have no problem letting it overlap for the AFL because the AFL leaves money at the table. The NRL needs to do the same thing.

Last Week

Bench
They have no problem letting it overlap for the AFL because the AFL leaves money at the table. The NRL needs to do the same thing.

Can you imagine the crying from the clubs if the game did that? Didn't take all the money that was on offer to them? They'd f**king cry like bitches.

Latest posts