What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Season- Is It Too Long?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hello, everyone.

I got to thinking lately - is our season of 20+ weeks too long?

I mean, I know it's a different sport, in a different country, with different population densities, etc. - but the NFL has 17 regular season weeks, and then the Play Offs.

It, too, is a contact sport, and the NFL seems to always supply quality football, every year.

I know that 20+ weeks of regular season footy lines the pockets of broadcasters, but I believe it hurts the game - players burn out, or get injured, and the quality of the product suffers.

I don't know what the answer is, but I reckon the NRL should seriously look at shortening the regular season - perhaps to supplement the missed income, they can make the 9's a regular thing (making the rule that you only need to play 2 of your top 20 players, so that fans can see younger, or more unheralded, players get a go), have a best of three All Stars game...

Just something that crossed my mind.

I'm keen to know what your opinions are.

I have my doubts about how much lower the quality of a 24 game season is to a 17 game season. If the quality of football declines much the further we get into a rugby league season then either I haven't noticed or it doesn't bother me. I think that might be the perception from some because the more you have of something the less you tend to value it. And I'd rather have the footy on than not so I'd be happy for them to play nine months of the year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd prefer footy year round but the longer the season goes on the more likely results are to be impacted by injury. Obviously the other side of that coin is when the season is too short the smaller the sample of games and the greater the impact of randomness.

I'd prefer footy year round but the longer the season goes on the more likely results are to be impacted by injury. Obviously the other side of that coin is when the season is too short the smaller the sample of games and the greater the impact of randomness.
But then when you have a finals series at the end of a long season, instead of something like the EPL, you greatly increase the luck factor.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Perhaps a mid-season break may help - I know it may kill teams' momentum, but maybe having a two-week break at the halfway point of the season may help players with niggling injuries, etc.

I hate to see teams' seasons derailed due to a key player suffering a season-ensing injury, most likely due to a high workload.

As I said, I don't have any real answers, but I found it interesting to discuss it with my Eels brethren.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Different circumstances this year I guess, the cv19 break after rd 2 mentally probably not a healthy thing to have then 18 weeks straight footy plus finals plus origin

Its a unique year, never to be seen again. Interested to see how Origin goes as well . Don't mind the rep games outside the competition proper. 20 game normal season sounds good in theory but money/broadcast rights would plummet I guess, and the game itself cant afford that.

This year less matches but no breaks, the mental thing is just as tough, needing two off seasons basically to prepare making it longer

I reckon most sides, and its started with us already. We are resting players where we can to keep mentally and physically fresh. Read somewhere if it was a finals match we most likely play Fergo and Matto yesterday (Manly match)

Im still keen to watch the footy, if Eels were were like Dogs or Broncos are, id still take an interest, but excitement level wouldn't be there and would write this season off as us not being mentally tough

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But then when you have a finals series at the end of a long season, instead of something like the EPL, you greatly increase the luck factor.
Yep. Which is why a finals series isn't the best indicator of the best team. It's actually the minor premiership that shows that.

But there is something to say about sudden death contests. They are more exciting, and inexperienced players are more likely to underperform.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah, I reckon a 20-week season is pretty good.

20 is enough. The last 4 games end up being boring. The cream has risen.
At this point we are at halfway point. If anyone outside of Parra,Penrith,Storm,Roosters,Manly won it then I would be suprised. We have seen enough to know the best sides I reckon. But another 10 games would confirm it. What are the point of the extra 4?

hindy111

Post Whore
Yep. Which is why a finals series isn't the best indicator of the best team. It's actually the minor premiership that shows that.

But there is something to say about sudden death contests. They are more exciting, and inexperienced players are more likely to underperform.

Disagree. Finals means team prepare the season for this. Perhaps keep a few aces up sleeve and don't burn out during season. Also a lot more pressure in a finals game. Different players perform under pressure better then others.
Most consistent side wins minor premiership. Could be due to a softer draw and less injuries. I don't see Roosters finishing top this year but come finals theyl be the most feared side if reasonably healthy.

Soccer is different. It's common for the far better team to draw or lose in a game. In NRL,AFL or NFL it's rare that a dominant side doesn't win a game. Sure it happens but you won't get a game like in soccer where a side could have 20 shots to 2 along with 75% possesion and still not win.

emjaycee

Coach
Conferences - Conferences I tell you.

16 teams (2 x 8) = 22 week comp and top 3 from each conference into 5 week final series
Play same conference x 2 (14 games) + other conference x 1 (8 games)

Final 1 is C1(1st) x C2(1st) = winner week off
Final 2 is C1(2) x C2(2) = winner v loser of above
Final 3 is C1(3) x C2(3) = loser out - winner plays loser of C2

Final 4 Loser Final 1 v Winner Final 2
Final 5 Loser Final 2 v Winner Final 3 = loser out

Final 6 Winner Final 1 v Winner Final 4 = Winner week off into GF
Final 7 Loser Final 4 v Winner Final 5 = Loser Out

Prelim Loser Final 6 v Winner Final 7 = Loser Out

GF = Winner Final 6 v Winner Prelim

Or if expanded comp to 18 teams:
18 teams (3 x 6) = 22 week comp and top 3 from each conference into 5 week finals
Play same conference x 2 (10 games) + other conferences x 1 (12 games)

Final 1 is C1(1st) x C2(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 2 is C2(1st) x C3(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 3 is C3(1st) x C1(2nd) = 2 points to winner

Final 4 is C1(1st) x C3(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 5 is C2(1st) x C1(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 6 is C3(1st) x C2(2nd) = 2 points to winner

Final 7 is C1(1st) x C1(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 8 is C2(1st) x C2(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 9 is C3(1st) x C3(2nd) = 2 points to winner

Based on Points and F/A:
Prelim 1 - 1st v 4th
Prelim 2 - 2nd v 3rd

GF = Winner Prelim 1 v Winner Prelim 2

Eelementary

Post Whore
Conferences - Conferences I tell you.

16 teams (2 x 8) = 22 week comp and top 3 from each conference into 5 week final series
Play same conference x 2 (14 games) + other conference x 1 (8 games)

Final 1 is C1(1st) x C2(1st) = winner week off
Final 2 is C1(2) x C2(2) = winner v loser of above
Final 3 is C1(3) x C2(3) = loser out - winner plays loser of C2

Final 4 Loser Final 1 v Winner Final 2
Final 5 Loser Final 2 v Winner Final 3 = loser out

Final 6 Winner Final 1 v Winner Final 4 = Winner week off into GF
Final 7 Loser Final 4 v Winner Final 5 = Loser Out

Prelim Loser Final 6 v Winner Final 7 = Loser Out

GF = Winner Final 6 v Winner Prelim

Or if expanded comp to 18 teams:
18 teams (3 x 6) = 22 week comp and top 3 from each conference into 5 week finals
Play same conference x 2 (10 games) + other conferences x 1 (12 games)

Final 1 is C1(1st) x C2(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 2 is C2(1st) x C3(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 3 is C3(1st) x C1(2nd) = 2 points to winner

Final 4 is C1(1st) x C3(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 5 is C2(1st) x C1(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 6 is C3(1st) x C2(2nd) = 2 points to winner

Final 7 is C1(1st) x C1(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 8 is C2(1st) x C2(2nd) = 2 points to winner
Final 9 is C3(1st) x C3(2nd) = 2 points to winner

Based on Points and F/A:
Prelim 1 - 1st v 4th
Prelim 2 - 2nd v 3rd

GF = Winner Prelim 1 v Winner Prelim 2

I really like that idea, mate.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd just have Parra play Panthers every week for 20 rounds and then whoever has most wins gets the home ground in grand final.

eels_fan

First Grade
I reckon 24 rounds, with a 3 week mid season break after round 12 for an origin series with games on 3 successive weeks.

Then have a rule that all Origin players must miss 1 subsequent game for their club team for each origin game they play in the break within rounds 13-17 so all players get 3 weeks without playing, but clubs can be strategic in the timing so Clubs with a large Origin cohort don’t have 4-5 players out in one weeks. This manages the workload for the players and ensures no one does 27 weeks straight.

T.S Quint

Coach
I’ve been saying for a while that I think the season is too long. I understand why it is that long and why it will probably never change (money of course), but I have thought that the mid-point if the season lags a little bit and I lose a bit of interest. It kicks up again towards the end. This might have something to do with the Eels being f**king awful over the last decade but.

I think crowds at the games would increase with a shorter season. Less games means less opportunities to get to games, meaning the crowds are not spread out over more games but more condensed.

Also each win or loss has more meaning. You lose three in a row, you’re Not completely out of the race but you will have to work pretty damn hard to get to the Finals.

eels_fan

First Grade
A smaller number of games however makes teams far more susceptible to being derailed by injuries to key players.
It’s definitely a balancing act.