What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL spreads International game to Campbelltown

siv

First Grade
Seems to be more Polynesian families in Oz and NZ than back at home

Crowds are huge here - but a Samoa 30y test was poorly attended locally

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl pays the players and covers costs if these tests so I guess is trying to recoup some. I suspect fox had a big say 8n where 5hey were played.
It was a sell out so shows there is interest and plenty of islanders livinb in Sydney. The png game shoudnhave been in part Moresby though

latingringo101

Juniors
I went to the game and the atmosphere was fantastic! The game being played in Sydney is good for the NRL for several reasons;

1. TV Ratings

2. Big Pacific Islander communities

3. NRL Pacific Youth Summit and Pacific Youth groups are set up by the NRL to help PI communities in Sydney.

4. Best way to make a profit.

It means a lot to the PI community and a lot of good comes out of the fixture, but I understand the arguments that these games could also be played in the PIs.

Maybe a deal could be struck where Sydney gets the mid year tests and end of the year a game gets taken to NZ or the PIs.

Keeps costs down. Long term should be looking at a four team series with three double headers played in Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland.

adamkungl

Immortal
What has the NRL got to do with the Pacific tests?

The NRL promote and bankroll it. I assume the competing nations get a cut, but it won't be huge until these games start drawing crowds above 30k.

If the NRL didn't run the Pacific Tests it's pretty safe to assume that they wouldn't exist at all. Who did Wales and Scotland play this weekend...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Keeps costs down. Long term should be looking at a four team series with three double headers played in Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland.

Id alternate the PNG game to PNG and Fiji. Very few went to Sydney to see this game, clearly Tonga v Samoa is the drawcard so keep that mid year in Sydney but move the other one to where it can do most good.

I see GB Ashes tour is considering playing Tonga in Tonga next year, that will be massive!

Pommy

Coach
Also it was a promoter who took England and NZ to Denver, not the NRL, RLIF or RFL

Well I don’t think you can totally discount The RFL and NZRL. It’s not like the promoter could do it without them, the RFL paused their competition to allow it to happen.