What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Still An Amateur Bunch Of Ne'erdowells

kbw

Bench
There are plenty of other reasons that the NRL is a bunch of amateur crap.
Look at the junior passes and grass roots funding for a start

oikee

Juniors
Rugby union has all those pacific islands tied up. Players go on scholarships to England, and many are heading to Japan as well.
Joey and Freddy find a guy at the airport, line him up with a Sydney club and all of a sudden the NRL have to bend over backwards.
The Brisbane Broncos had a program with Fiji many a moon ago, you know, when Big Mal the Solomon Islander and Petro the Fijian and Lotti the Fijian first played for the Broncos about 15 years ago.

Besides all that, Fiji has a Australian Academy base, run right here in Australia with Petro as their Ambassador.
Freddy and Joey have one objective, and it is self interest.
Listening to the Canberra match yesterday with Joey ranting about Milford and telling all that Canberra had to do everything to keep Milford , as if Brisbane had stolen him.
He signed a contract, every player is allowed to sign a contract.

The way they carried on about Sonny Bill and the code needing to do everything in their power to keep him.
Yet Israel was let go because he was Parra bound. If that was the Roosters, Falou would be clucking.

Too much self interest. It is not good for the game, ? are the Cowboys or Titans going to benefit from this? No of course not, same as they lost Idris to Gus Gould's Panthers.
Where was the outrage by Joey then, to do everything possible to keep Idris at the titans. ?
It is a pile of bullocks and we all know it.
Stop pandering to these two simpletons, Joey and Freddie.

POPEYE

Coach
Takes the same time to fly to Perth as Fiji from Sydney, money enough to include Island teams in State Cups . . . solves a lot of problems. Or is Qld still the only innovator, maybe they deserve to only benefit from PNG players and maybe Perth will have to miss out on Cup games if they join the comp

Rugby union has all those pacific islands tied up. Players go on scholarships to England, and many are heading to Japan as well.

Rugby league could smash union in Fiji simply by throwing a few dollars at the place and bringing through more Fijians in the NRL.

Union has taken the pacific islands for granted and do very little in truth.

Glen

Bench
"still paddling canoes"

I guess that's all anyone ever does in Fiji? What moron wrote this shit

bazza

Immortal
You guys are assuming a hell of a lot. I doubt very much that Fitler & Johns went in there and presented a scheme where only Penrith, East, & the Knights all benefited.

And even if they were that stupid, all the NRL need do is to invest in Fiji in a way that gives all clubs access to the players equally.

In a country like Fiji it wouldn't take much at all from a financial perspective. The NRL though has to take the lead initiative.

Have you seen the full proposal that the Fittler and Johns presented to the NRL highlighting the benefits that their project would bring to the NRL and rugby league?
How did this proposal compare to the other projects that the NRL is looking to fund? Why is this one better value for money?

Misanthrope

Staff member
yeah you can bet it'll be the Knights, Panthers and Roosters that will get the cream of the crop. It's a good idea, but Fittler and Johns have obvious club bias.

The bit in bold has more merit.

That seems a bit of an unfair judgement. The Knights, for one, have been doing the hard yards to recruit Islander talent for a long while now. I doubt they'd benefit from this proposal since they're already investing more in developing Fijian RL than most clubs.

As I said though, I think there are far better ways to create pathways to places like Fiji, Tonga, PNG, Samoa etc than this.

What are these methods you'd suggest?

Yes, because that's what everyone does in Fiji, paddle canoes.

I found that pretty offensive tbh. I didn't see a single canoe being paddled around Fiji by people who weren't white tourists. The locals use speedboats.

Latest posts