What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL strategic plan 2018-2022 as it relates to expansion

Billythekid

First Grade
Where would you base a country NSW team? Tamworth? I want us to support country rugby league but I think we're better off taking regular games there than putting a team in country NSW.

Fiji is a pipe dream. Let's just get them in the NSW Cup before we get too excited.

I'm glad that expansion is finally being talked up but I hope at some point we get specific. If we're planning to expand in 2022 or 2023 we need to give teams a couple of years to prepare. Really by 2019 or 2020 we should be announcing which teams are coming.

I'm hoping for Brisbane and Perth (NZ then Adelaide are my next preferences). but it's just good to have expansion on the table again.

Where would you base a country NSW team? Tamworth? I want us to support country rugby league but I think we're better off taking regular games there than putting a team in country NSW.

Fiji is a pipe dream. Let's just get them in the NSW Cup before we get too excited.

I'm glad that expansion is finally being talked up but I hope at some point we get specific. If we're planning to expand in 2022 or 2023 we need to give teams a couple of years to prepare. Really by 2019 or 2020 we should be announcing which teams are coming.

I'm hoping for Brisbane and Perth (NZ then Adelaide are my next preferences). but it's just good to have expansion on the table again.

I agree, confused about the inclusion of NSW country. Not even sure if it’s needed at a state cup level? It’s be better to have teams in specific country spots.

Better yet every Sydney team should take responsibility to a certain country area, like the panthers have done with Bathurst.

Ideally I’d like the next round of expansion to include Perth, Brisbane & NZ. But 3 into 2 doesn’t go.

juro

Bench
NSW and QLD Cup are good for developing talent, but are they at all useful in developing fans?

Diesel

Referee
As for NSW Country, I’d like to see this as a CRL rep type team or “CRL United”

Diesel

Referee
I can’t recall if this is what Richardson proposed, having teams in NSW Country (along with combining Sydney clubs).

I like how Ipswich has been mention specifically. Hopefully this is where they see Brisbane 2 and it puts a line through the Bombers

As per your suggestion for NSW country, I’d prefer to see a ‘Brisbane united’ team. Try to draw as much non bronco support in as possible. Ipswich, if the team is named that, feels too limiting.

Diesel

Referee
As per your suggestion for NSW country, I’d prefer to see a ‘Brisbane united’ team. Try to draw as much non bronco support in as possible. Ipswich, if the team is named that, feels too limiting.
A team named “Brisbane United” or a QRL owned team

Springs09

Juniors
As for NSW Country, I’d like to see this as a CRL rep type team or “CRL United”

Well at least don't name them that. Nobody likes the CRL.

NSW Country doesn't need a pro team. We just need our existing clubs to survive.

So this NRL expansion plan is a plan to NOT expand the NRL.

Just another weak way of pretending to do something while not doing anything at all. This idea is to maybe let some more teams into the NSW and Qld Cups so that one day they might be allowed into the NRL, maybe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can’t recall if this is what Richardson proposed, having teams in NSW Country (along with combining Sydney clubs).

Yep he did, only took them 4 years to say they "might" actually do something about it sometime in the next 5 years lol. Nothing moves quick at NRLHQ!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So this NRL expansion plan is a plan to NOT expand the NRL.

Just another weak way of pretending to do something while not doing anything at all. This idea is to maybe let some more teams into the NSW and Qld Cups so that one day they might be allowed into the NRL, maybe.

Whilst there is no plan, at least there is intent to have a plan. Sounds like something from Yes Minister!
A radical new approach to an NRL second division that was international and was a genuine second division comp would have been more exciting than silo'd rehashed two state comps that are part second division part reserve grade, but that would have took some balls and vision.

Diesel

Referee
This is the best news for a long time for RL fans in WA and non-Broncos fans in Brisbane who would be the two front runners for any new expansion teams.

Id like something more definitive too, but at least we seem to talking about it more positively. I’m confident Peter Beattie will want to leave expansion as his mark on the game.

Latest posts