What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Structure 2005

Roosterphin

Juniors
i know this has been done but here is what Id like to see.

16 teams
Brisbane
Raiders
Newcastle
Melbourne
Roosters
Penrith
Cronulla
Stg Illaw
Manly
Parramatta
Wests Tigers
Central Coast Bunnies
Gold Coast Bulldogs
NZ Warriors
Wellington Orcas

Each team to play each other once (15 rounds) with a top 5 semi system. Full rep calender - SOO and tests on Weekends during the season with no disruption to players.

Positives - expansion, less wear and tear on players
Negatives - wont happen as channel packer would never approve.

Thoughts?

OVP

Coach
Central Coast Bunnies
Gold Coast Bulldogs

Ohhh flame bait :lol:

Nice idea but im not sure relocations work to be honest. Most new teams want their own team, not a relocated one.

Bengal

Juniors
Roosterphin said:

Gold Coast Bulldogs
Wellington Orcas

Each team to play each other once (15 rounds) with a top 5 semi system. Full rep calender - SOO and tests on Weekends during the season with no disruption to players.

Thoughts?

So what's your reasoning behind the Doggies?

I'll say one thing if (or when) the Wellington team gets in I hope it they don't use that stupid name the Orcas!

Spew-city name, not the least bit inspiring!

Roosterphin

Juniors
Bengal said:
Roosterphin said:

Gold Coast Bulldogs
Wellington Orcas

Thoughts?

So what's your reasoning behind the Doggies?

I'll say one thing if (or when) the Wellington team gets in I hope it they don't use that stupid name the Orcas!

Spew-city name, not the least bit inspiring!

The Bulldogs already have abandoned the "Canterbury from their name. They play at a temporary home ground and the inner west of Sydney is covered with Balmain Stg and Parra

JK

Central Coast Bunnies? Yes, I will support that. 9,000 people cannot support a team. This leaves the Roosters in a tenable position as the city team. I have no real problem with this but it may be seen as a trifle selfish by others Roosterphin...

Gold Coast Bulldogs? Come back when your crowd average is better than ours Rooster fan. On a non-sectarian basis why relocate the Sydney team with the best crowds :?: Doesn't make sense :!:

If the Bulldogs were to fall upon hard crowd and financial times then surely Wellington would be a better option? They would have goodwill through their hosting a game a year and the club has had prominant Kiwis for some time.

I keep coming back to the Gold Coast Sharks...StGIll can accomodate the Shire...I admit I don't like the team (motivating factor).

Perhaps excise Balmain part of Wests too. Not popular with many Tigers fans (and there are a heap of them - one successful season and they will be the most followed team in Sydney). The merger isn't really working at a head office level and the future needs to be with the shift of the population - West. Leichhardt Oval is in need of extensive repair that will cost too many $$$. Tigers can travel to Perth?

Just make sure Melbourne stay! No more closing shop on expansion.

All speculation. I hope Souths, Tigers and Sharks fans don't flame me too hard.

Lantana

Juniors
JK

Nice post.

I understand there is a real tug-o-war on between the people who want expansion to the people who want tradition. You can't have both and be commercially viable.
The only obvious formula is relocation?
I know the Northern Eagles didn't work out but that was because the Bears got shafted, they had 17K crowds in their first season. Lets move the Bears back there as franchise 16.
The Sharks mmmmm.. they still average around 13 to 14K even when they are playing like garbage, I'd leave them where they are.
The Bulldogs to Wellington, has merit but I can already see the NRL copping a few molitov cocktails over something like this. The Bulldogs are a great team and have a massive following in the south-west. Let's take care of the West Tigers and move the Doggies into the beautiful new stadium at Campbelltown.
Now for the Wests Tigers, they are vulnerabe, let's look to improve the fortunes of both teams by relocating the Tigers, (Franchise 17) to the Gold Coast and the Magpies (Franchise 18) to Perth (Wests). We could plug the Bunnies (Franchise 19) into Adelaide as they are Australia's most resiliant and well known club and would draw a good crowd where ever they go. The would be the South Australian Rabbitohs or Souths for short.
These relocated teams would still enjoy a great following in Sydney when they played away because it would still be Souths V Cronulla, Wests V Dragons, Tigers V Knights etc.
Franchise 20 woould possibly end up with the Wellington consortium, I know the Orcas seems lame but it obviously is held in high regards in NZ. If it is going to be a NZ franchise it shouldn't really be a relocated Sydney team.

Bengal

Juniors
Lantana said:
JK

Nice post.

I understand there is a real tug-o-war on between the people who want expansion to the people who want tradition. You can't have both and be commercially viable.
The only obvious formula is relocation?
I know the Northern Eagles didn't work out but that was because the Bears got shafted, they had 17K crowds in their first season. Lets move the Bears back there as franchise 16.
The Sharks mmmmm.. they still average around 13 to 14K even when they are playing like garbage, I'd leave them where they are.
The Bulldogs to Wellington, has merit but I can already see the NRL copping a few molitov cocktails over something like this. The Bulldogs are a great team and have a massive following in the south-west. Let's take care of the West Tigers and move the Doggies into the beautiful new stadium at Campbelltown.
Now for the Wests Tigers, they are vulnerabe, let's look to improve the fortunes of both teams by relocating the Tigers, (Franchise 17) to the Gold Coast and the Magpies (Franchise 18) to Perth (Wests). We could plug the Bunnies (Franchise 19) into Adelaide as they are Australia's most resiliant and well known club and would draw a good crowd where ever they go. The would be the South Australian Rabbitohs or Souths for short.
These relocated teams would still enjoy a great following in Sydney when they played away because it would still be Souths V Cronulla, Wests V Dragons, Tigers V Knights etc.
Franchise 20 woould possibly end up with the Wellington consortium, I know the Orcas seems lame but it obviously is held in high regards in NZ. If it is going to be a NZ franchise it shouldn't really be a relocated Sydney team.

Here I was about to give you a rant n rave over what you were going to do with Souths. I mean forget the Bunnies Souths are Souths!
Adelaide Bunnies I was thinking - get off!
But alas I read on and I came across one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time the South Australian Rabbitohs - brilliant!
I can live with that.
Cheers Lantana

the spoon

Juniors
The dogs would love to get there hands on campbelltown and the silly thing is the west tigers have not seen the light of day with the area its on the rise with heaps of people moving out there (thats why i left overcrowed nowadays) But campbelltown should stay in the hands of wests either tigers or magpies could you imagine if they had a penrth type year the place would go beserk and records would tumble.

Central coast bears is a must after seeing the crowds they drew when west played the london broncos and the union crowds its to hard to ignore.and with the bears your bringing back tradition ie the worlds biggest chockers. just jokes.

Nz why rush into it the warriors are going good now but when they were loosing the drew very small crowds.give it another 2 to 3 years then re assess the growth of the sport.

Just my view

Razor

Coach
North QLD Cowboys
Redcliffe Dolphins
Brisbane Broncos
Brisbane Sharks
Gold Coast ??????

Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Rabbitohs
Manly Sea Eagles
Sydney Roosters
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Illawarra Dragons

Canberra Raiders

Melbourne Storm

Adelaide ????

Western Tigers (Perth)

Auckland Warriors
Wellington Bulldogs
Christchurch ?????

That's 19 teams. To take it down to 18 remove Christchurch or Redcliffe.

Play each team once. So 17 or 18 rounds. Top 7 - 4 week final series.

Canterbury

Juniors
Razor said:
North QLD Cowboys
Redcliffe Dolphins
Brisbane Broncos
Brisbane Sharks
Gold Coast ??????

Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Rabbitohs
Manly Sea Eagles
Sydney Roosters
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Illawarra Dragons

Canberra Raiders

Melbourne Storm

Adelaide ????

Western Tigers (Perth)

Auckland Warriors
Wellington Bulldogs
Christchurch ?????

That's 19 teams. To take it down to 18 remove Christchurch or Redcliffe.

Play each team once. So 17 or 18 rounds. Top 7 - 4 week final series.

i'm sorry but there would be three or four other sydney teams that would relocate before we would. not going through any names, but i'm sure we all know who they are.

Latest posts