What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL talent depth seems to be very low at the moment

broncos2010

Juniors
There I thought the salary cap was supposed to even out the comp but especially this year there has been some serious blow outs when the top teams play the teams there cropping up the table.
Some very big floggings 50+ points.

When I was watching the Storm v Eels I was thinking both these teams have the same cap space right and yet one looks like they are NSW Cup team playing v a NRL team in a training match.

Yet people want expansion teams when we are getting such blow outs and showing the depth in talent in the game at the moment is not big enough.

legend

Coach
Floggings have always been around. There have been some excellent young players come through this year but I take your point and believe with a bona fide reserve grade comp, we will see more young superstars emerge on a yearly basis.

BranVan3000

Coach
Yes let's judge the NRL based on the Eels

Funny how Penrith came into this year with an even worse squad on paper and are pushing for a top 8 berth.

gUt

Coach
Salary cap can't help the clubs making dud recruiting decisions, both players and coaching staff.

BranVan3000

Coach
Funny how guys like Lussick, Tonga, Sandow were going great at their previous clubs but become "crap" once they get to Parra and the fans lump them in with their low quality of players they can blame the season on. The problem is coaches. Kearney was crap, and Stuart is just as bad.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There will always be good teams and poor teams, good players and avg players. What period of time are you comparing this year to then we can judge if this years comp is really any different to any other year.

Most years the bottom team only wins 5-7 games. This year no different.

Diesel

Referee
Could be worse, we could've expanded to get dots on the map like vFL and had 5-6 teams getting floggings each week

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think there is plenty of talent around. There is a however a widening gulf between the well coached teams and poorly coached teams.

Only playmakers seem to be in short supply at NRL level, but maybe they just aren't getting the opportunities they should be

gUt

Coach
Does the salary cap work in spreading the available talent around the teams?

If the clubs manage their rosters and players' welfare properly it does. The cap is not there to dictate who should play for which club.

Injuries and Origin also have an effect on who's available to take the field.

Knock On

Juniors
There is no real continuality in the sport. Everyone in it is tearing apaprt. Hence player development is lacking...

But not at the Storm.

Canard

Immortal
Funny how guys like Lussick, Tonga, Sandow were going great at their previous clubs but become "crap" once they get to Parra and the fans lump them in with their low quality of players they can blame the season on. The problem is coaches. Kearney was crap, and Stuart is just as bad.

Na Tonga was playing like a busted arse in his last 2 seasons up North, he had washed up written all over him when he asked for a release.

I think there is plenty of talent around. There is a however a widening gulf between the well coached teams and poorly coached teams.

Only playmakers seem to be in short supply at NRL level, but maybe they just aren't getting the opportunities they should be

It's the coaching talent that's sorely lacking.

Agree, though I'd also factor in investment in footballing resources.

IMO at this point in time the Sharks, Cowboys, Raiders and Warriors have the talent to be in that upper echleon but are lacking in one or both of those areas. The Cows and Raiders in particular have let the competition down this year, it would've been a completely different ball game if they were firing and playing to their potential all season.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Blame the focus on U20s. The lack of a recognizable, national reserve grade comp means clubs are plucking underdone kids from NYC instead of having access to well paid, seasoned veterans who are playing in front of crowds.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree the U20s has been the main focus for future talent, yet most of them havent developed yet.

Bring back the reserve grade.

BranVan3000

Coach
The problem is coaching

Take a look at Roosters. They've had players go from looking like superstars one season, to absolute nuffies the next, back to superstars under a new coach.