What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to take action against the Bulldogs

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Just heard it on the radio.
The NRL are going to take action against the Cantebury Bulldogs club for bringing the game into disrepute.
Apparentlly it will be tomorrows headline.
Thats all they said.

Kaz

junior
So there no more posts saying the NRL will or won't be doing their own investigation.

I am sure the NRL are having a meeting tomorrow & the Bulldogs story will be discussed.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9407980-23209,00.html

THE National Rugby League (NRL) will begin its own investigation into player conduct after a police probe into gang rape allegations cleared six members of the Bulldogs team.

NRL chief executive David Gallop made the announcement after police said they would not lay charges against any players accused of raping a 20-year-old Coffs Harbour woman on February 22.

Gallop said it was important the NRL was a community leader in areas such as attitudes towards women, and the scandal surrounding the Bulldogs had highlighted the need for change.

"There is a range of conduct outside the central allegations that we said we would look at when the central allegation became clearer," he told reporters at the NRL's Sydney headquarters.

"We've got a board meeting tomorrow and we will certainly be discussing that conduct and potential penalties against the club."

Mr Gallop said the rape allegations had done substantial damage to the public face of the game.

"Rugby league went into 2004 with a great sense of optimism and anticipation about our season, and we're having a fantastic season, but we've got some off-field issues that we continue to need to deal with," he said.

"We want to be able to look back in a few years and say real change was made (to player conduct), and today's decision by the police is just part of the process that we intend to go through over the next few months.

"I don't think anybody takes any particular joy out of any of this, I wish it hadn't happened."

AAP

Mikonstomp

Juniors
bulldogs bought the game into disrepute, when did they do that?
can u please tell me how the nrl can find anything against the players when a 2 month investigation with professional detectives and police could prove no wrong doing

Razor

Coach
Mikonstomp said:
bulldogs bought the game into disrepute, when did they do that?
can u please tell me how the nrl can find anything against the players when a 2 month investigation with professional detectives and police could prove no wrong doing

The police couldn't prove criminal wrong doing.

The players have a lot of other rules to abide by, that are not illegal.

MadDogMason

Juniors
Oh it's all speculation there not gunna do a damn thing because it is gunna flair everything bak up again and the NRL don't want that and either do the Bulldogs. They will handle it if they choose to on there own terms and should be a quiet investigation...IF!!

Anonymous

Juniors
It would appear completely irresponsible of the NRL if they didn't hand down harsh penalties to those players who were at the centre of it all. Anything less will appear a weak approach to a sensitive issue.

Yep Garbo.

They have to be made to account for the damage to the game. The Chiefs have been punished and now it's time for the Indians to take their medicine.

If the NRL does nothing, the stink will be much worse.

Dogs Of War

Coach
El Garbo said:
It would appear completely irresponsible of the NRL if they didn't hand down harsh penalties to those players who were at the centre of it all. Anything less will appear a weak approach to a sensitive issue.

Your assuming that their guilty still. Those that broke the clubs conduct rules should be punished BY THE CLUB, the NRL has nothing to do with those rules. Also footballers are going to pick up women and have sex with them. The NRL can't punish that, just educate them that they have to be more careful about how they go about it. The Bulldogs seem very confident that their is no real case to answer, it seems unlikely that the NRL could punish anyone if that is the case.

gaterooze

Bench
"Centre of it all" -- what centre? That a player brought a woman back to the hotel and had consensual sex with her?

That behavior should meet with exactly the same punishment which that breach of conduct would normally receive -- the rest of the hooplah was beyond their control and they shouldn't be scapegoated for the media's vicious reaction.

If a player did something wrong, punish them by all means, but don't buy into the bullshit sensationalism surrounding this case.

How many casualties have there been from this?

Mortimer and Hughes isn't it?

Why the f**k are they gone?

I'm not suggesting for one second that what the players are alleged to have done is legally wrong, but for christ's sake they were in Coffs Harbour representing their club and the NRL. That's why the NRL has to take action.

It sounds to me and I'm sure to many others that the lunatics are running the asylum.

Sportsjock

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
:?

So are there now special NRL guidelines on what kind of sex you can have?

Well I am sure if there were, public headjobs in a hotel pool in front of other guests when representing your club, the NRL and the game of rugby league less than 12 hours after a trial match might be fairly low down the list :lol:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
How many casualties have there been from this?

Mortimer and Hughes isn't it?

Why the f**k are they gone?

Mortimer for his poor handling of the incidents via his responses to the press. Mortimer to his credit was only ever intend to be a short term leader after the salary cap, and it seems that this incident only served to make good on that.

Hughes due to the lack of application of the code of conduct. That said they are all big boys and should be big enough to do that themselves, I'm sure their are other issues besides this also.

At the end of the day, the Bulldogs needed to provide some scapegoats to pacify the press and sponsors that change was coming from inside the club to ensure an unsavory incident like this was unlikely to occur again.

I'm not suggesting for one second that what the players are alleged to have done is legally wrong, but for christ's sake they were in Coffs Harbour representing their club and the NRL. That's why the NRL has to take action.

It sounds to me and I'm sure to many others that the lunatics are running the asylum.

Under what pretence could the NRL take action? If they are not guilty of the incident then they could only say that you should be more careful who you get involved with. What else could they do, Ban the players from having sex?

wittyfan

Referee
Oooh, I am glad their taking action, because the last ten weeks have almost done the game in.

Thierry Henry said:
:?

So are there now special NRL guidelines on what kind of sex you can have?

:roll:

If it's that simple and no one did anything wrong, why are Mortimer and Hughes gone?

And DogsofWar, if it's simply a case of having been badly handled by the two people who've been moved on, do you know who made the decision to go back to Coffs Harbour after last year's fiasco and if that person still has a job at Canterbury?

Face it, the players run the joint and that's why Mortimer and Hughes are gone, they are the scapegoats. The players are hardly going to reprimand themselves and that's why the NRL should act.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Yep Garbo.

They have to be made to account for the damage to the game. The Chiefs have been punished and now it's time for the Indians to take their medicine.

If the NRL does nothing, the stink will be much worse.

They should not be the scapegoat for all this publicity the Bulldogs and Rugby League have recieved. They should be punished, i agree, but punished fairly.

The media brought our game into disrepute with their false allegations.

Anonymous

Juniors
If it's that simple and no one did anything wrong, why are Mortimer and Hughes gone?

Obviously I don't know. I'm also unaware of what the players did wrong. At this point it's an accusation by one woman which has come to nothing. If there is no evidence of illegal conduct then I don't know what the Bulldogs did which would be considered contrary to anything. And I don't expect that anyone else here knows either. If one or more of the Bulldogs players did perform sexual acts in a public place, I'd expect that to be a legal issue, since all charges have been dropped I can't see how that could have happened.

Latest posts