What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to trial 10 referees at Charity Shield clash

Slackboy72

Coach
NRL to trial 10 referees at Charity Shield clash between Rabbitohs and Dragons to reduce video referrals

No fewer than 10 match officials will be trialled in Saturday night's Charity Shield match as NRL officials look to speed up the game this season by reducing the number of video referee referrals.

For the first time, two on-field referees will be assisted by four touch judges, two in-goal judges and the two video referees when St George Illawarra and South Sydney battle in the pre-season trial at Sydney's Olympic stadium.

It is hoped the two in-goal touch judges will assist with try-scoring decisions - including obstruction calls - and the extra two touch judges will help monitor the attacking team to pick up such things as forward passes.

The overall strategy is to reduce the number of calls sent to to the video refs, says NRL referees boss Tony Archer.

Video referrals have increased from just over 450 in 2011 to about 750 last year, causing more stops in play and some angst amongst fans.

"If it helps us make better decisions and more live decisions well I will certainly look at (introducing it for the NRL season)," said Archer.

"I'm not sure we will ever look at removing the video referee because as we all know they are a frame-by-frame assessment of tries.

"But we need to see if my referee can make a more informed and accurate live decision and we need to see if there is a potential to reduce the number of referrals."

AAP

:crazy: Are you f***ing kidding me?
The quality of refs is atrocious (especially VRs) and now you want to bring more ineptness into the game? I'm not anticipating good things will come from this.

thorson1987

Coach
What's the f**king point of the extra 2 touchies.

2 more people to not make any calls.

I love the in goal refs though.

The Colonel

Immortal
How many of them does it take to change a lightbulb?

One referee, two touchies and two in-goal referees..... Make it simple. Cut out the rule interpretations and follow the rules.

Too many interpretations and now too many referees.....

El Diablo

Post Whore
people getting worked up because they're trialing something to improve refereeing standards :crazy:

Who needs quality when you can have quantity?

It's very hard to waste a billion dollars unless you really put your mind to it.

seanoff

Juniors
So for most of the game there are 2 active officials and 10 guys paid to spectate.

contentious obstruction decisions will devolve into a committee meeting between the in goal judge, both on field refs and the 2 video refs. Will the decision be by show of hands with majority rule?

Vossy pretty much ridiculing it all in the first 10 minutes.

Funny no one ever gets to ridicule the TV stations as they shoe-horn another half a dozen side line eyes, analysts and colour commentators in to the commentary box.

no name

Coach
Vossy pretty much ridiculing it all in the first 10 minutes.

Funny no one ever gets to ridicule the TV stations as they shoe-horn another half a dozen side line eyes, analysts and colour commentators in to the commentary box.

He is still going at 35 minutes, he is absolutely right though.

And people bag the nuffy commentators on TV all the time.

Lambretta

First Grade
Rugby League by committee

Its a stupid idea and I hope never to see it again

The refereeing in Super League where there is one on field ref gives is much better
They should be reducing the number of officials, not increasing them.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
This is a joke there were 3 officials in the frame for the last video referral and they still cant make a Decision! Back to one ref and grow some balls and make decisions

elbusto

Coach
This is a joke there were 3 officials in the frame for the last video referral and they still cant make a Decision! Back to one ref and grow some balls and make decisions
I don't mind them trialling this stuff but I agree with you - one referee. The more officials there are the more we get pissed off with poor decisions. I can cope with one ref making errors. You expect it. It also opens up the game having less of them.
But I think we are on the wrong end of the argument mate sadly :)

I'd like to have in goal refs.
but f**k the 2 ref system off and go back to 1.
And stick with 1 touchie on each side, not 2.

1 referee.
2 touch judges.
2 in goal referees.

Just the way it used to be

Last edited: