What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Touch

unforgiven

Bench
Touch rugby league is happening via public demand! Shame touch went rogue in 1996! If effectively promoted and given decent ground access this version of non contact rugby league is a winner! It's happened in South Qld. Hopefully the Hunter Valley next!
Still waiting for that link though?

Stallion

First Grade
Still waiting for that link though?

I actally spoke to the dismayed touch footy officials in the Gold Coast in 1996. Admittedly we were on the piss (I was on a footy club trip away ) But we got chatting at Melba and that's what I was told. Bit tough to get a link when it's a personal conversation. So can't provide a link. And I'm not lying.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
What do you mean?

I'm glad you can see the virtues of TRL. Would have preferred touch to revisit the rules that touch rugby league are fostering. (would have made things alot easier for rugby league development) But anyway TRL : it's positive.

unforgiven

Bench
I actally spoke to the dismayed touch footy officials in the Gold Coast in 1996. Admittedly we were on the piss (I was on a footy club trip away ) But we got chatting at Melba and that's what I was told. Bit tough to get a link when it's a personal conversatile. So can't proxide a link. And I'm not lying.
I'm actually asking for the link to the Rugby participation number being higher than Rugby League!

unforgiven

Bench
I'm glad you can see the virtues of TRL. Would have preferred touch to revisit the rules that touch rugby league are fostering. (would have made things alot easier for rugby league development) But anyway TRL : it's positive.
You do realise that people can like different things in a sport and choices are a good thing?

Stallion

First Grade
I'm actually asking for the link to the Rugby participation number being higher than Rugby League!

It's a quote from either the SMH or Melbourne Herald. (recent)A few comments were deriding it on another thread. It was put forward by another contributor. Might be on the medIa thread.

T-Boon

Coach
I actally spoke to the dismayed touch footy officials in the Gold Coast in 1996. Admittedly we were on the piss (I was on a footy club trip away ) But we got chatting at Melba and that's what I was told. Bit tough to get a link when it's a personal conversatile. So can't proxide a link. And I'm not lying.

What are these words? If they are just errors they are some smooth sounding errors.

Stallion

First Grade
You do realise that people can like different things in a sport and choices are a good thing?

Absolutely but when it comes to eliminating a fundamental and original rule? That's different. It hasn't done rugbyleague any favours. And as touch footy was spawned from tippy league that's why I maintain the stance .

Stallion

First Grade
Have you seen how many rule changes Rugby League has had since it's inception?

The fundamental play the ball is one that deserves respect and longevity. It eliminated the very time consuming and ugly "ruck maul' .It's a legendary rule deserving and unique to this underrated code.

unforgiven

Bench
The fundamental play the ball is one that deserves respect and longevity. It eliminated the very time consuming and ugly "ruck maul' .It's a legendary rule deserving and unique to this underrated code.
Legendary rule? You do understand the paradoxical nature of your post don't you?

unforgiven

Bench
As long as you understand it's intent. Perhaps schooling another teacher may not be a great pastime. But I'm willing to forgive you Unforgiven!
You are arguing that a rule that was implemented to eliminate a problematic part of Rugby be kept in Touch even though it itself became problematic in Touch. The reason the ruck and maul was abolished in Rugby League is the same reason the touching with your foot was abolished in Touch! That is very contradictive.

Stallion

First Grade
You are arguing that a rule that was implemented to eliminate a problematic part of Rugby be kept in Touch even though it itself became problematic in Touch. The reason the ruck and maul was abolished in Rugby League is the same reason the touching with your foot was abolished in Touch! That is very contradictive.

We dissagree. Had to draw the line somewhere. And a fundamental rule should not have been the "fall guy" in the touch scenario. Looks like we are now getting a version of "touch" that will satisfy the many participants that have been abandoned by such a significant rule change in 1996. Touch Rugby league footy will prove to be extremely popular. I spoke to an organiser and he mentioned that the play the ball and being able to kick the ball was a big attraction for TRL. Its now basically dominating south east Qld with Tag and modern day touch losing participants. Basically a reinventing of the wheel in the 'touch' scenario is happening.

unforgiven

Bench
We dissagree. Had to draw the line somewhere. And a fundamental rule should not have been the "fall guy" in the touch scenario. Looks like we are now getting a version of "touch" that will satisfy the many participants that have been abandoned by such a significant rule change in 1996. Touch Rugby league footy will prove to be extremely popular. I spoke to an organiser and he mentioned that the play the ball and being able to kick the ball was a big attraction for TRL. Its now basically dominating south east Qld with Tag and modern day touch losing participants. Basically a reinventing of the wheel in the 'touch' scenario is happening.
I read all the rules last night and most of them are pretty good, I do not like the "AFL" rule though.