What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL two conferences

Its pointless talking about rationalisation of Sydney as it isn't going to happen, regardless if you believe it should or not. The bigger question needs to be come how does the NRL grow into new markets, or is it going to try and become more popular in its existing markets and hope that's enough for the future? Leaving AFL not to have to worry about its heartlands has meant they can be as gung ho as they wish in pushing into new markets. Maybe making the game in Sydney more popular somehow is the answer but it is a great shame not to see it prosper in other areas currently devoid of any top tier rugby league. I can see a AFL3 team in Perth before an NRL one at this rate

Sadly I think we have lost the war with AFL and now its about how do we be as strong a second place as we can be. Brisabne2 HAS to be the next step in that then some serious consideration about a 20 team confernec eplan over the next decade or so. That's our only hope at the top level really. Shame we dont have administrators who can plan a strategy that far ahead, I mean they didnt even have the business case for Brisabne2 in place before blurting it to the media!
We've already lost the war. AwFuL have invested in prime real estate in Brisbane and Sydney, buying land on main roads so that they can build clubs that are noticed by commuters everyday. It's great marketing.

The Lions @Springwood Social Club is right near the motorway in Logan, which is the gambling capital of Brisbane. People from Brisbane can easily access it. The Lions rake in about $5m a year from it.

Broncos could have owned Logan by buying up real estate for a Leagues Club with a cinema. They could have bailed the Scorpions out in 2002 and used it as a feeder club, fielding teams all the way from U7 to Queensland Cup so every kid born in this city would grow up would wanting to be a Bronco. They let that slip and the Brisbane Strikers soccer club walked right in and took over Meakin Park. AwFuL have taken over Cronulla Park on the corner of Compton Rd and Kingston Rd, which is right in the heart of the city. Slowly but surely, AwFuL is trying to convert northern Logan's kids to fumbleball, and they're succeeding. The Springwood Tigers and Rochedale Tigers JRLFCs are out of sight, meanwhile the Springwood Pumas AFC will now be seen directly by thousands of commuters every day on the busy Compton Rd/Kingston Rd intersection.

A decade ago I contacted the QRL about reforming the Scorpions and putting them at Cronulla Park. They weren't interested. Our game is run by idiots. There is a Masterplan to convert Springwood into Logan's CBD, with high rise buildings and plenty of businesses, restaurants and a theatre. Cronulla Park is within walking distance and part of the area in the Masterplan. An RL club at this very location would have been a huge blow to AwFuL's expansion plans, but the idiots at the QRL, Broncos and ARL couldn't see it and now the opportunity has been lost.

I am seeing more and more kids around here wearing Lions gear. If we can't even hold onto RL heartland areas like Logan, what hope have we got of expanding into Perth?

_Johnsy

Referee
So if 10 people from Townsville travel interstate to watch the Dragons then that means there are thousands of people from Wollongong pouring into Kogarah to watch the Dragons?

St George-Illawarra have played 90 games at Kogarah and 125 at Wollongong since 1999. Their average attendance at those grounds is 12,700 and 12,485.

Their three lowest attendances prior to COVID-19, were all based in Wollongong.

5,578 vs Melbourne 4 July 2019
5,662 vs Brisbane 4 August 2016
6,024 vs North Queensland 12 February 2000

All 19 of their highest attendances have occurred in Sydney, 2 of which were at Kogarah.

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/st_geo-illa.html

Going by those figures, if there's a large segment of fans travelling to watch the team play, it's probably from Sydney to Wollongong. An old St George Dragons fan from Sydney is probably going to be more inclined to travel long distances to watch the club play as there's not much from the Steelers remaining at it. The Steelers' all time average was just 8,971.

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/illawarra.html
You didn't read my post. Using some statistics doesn't prove your premise that there are next to no dragons fans travelling from The Gong to Kogarah. "Probably", it just doesn't prove your premise, not even close.

Who claimed that there thousands of people from Wollongong pouring into Kogarah to watch the Dragons?

I can assist here, no-one.

You didn't read my post. Using some statistics doesn't prove your premise that there are next to no dragons fans travelling from The Gong to Kogarah. "Probably", it just doesn't prove your premise, not even close.

Who claimed that there thousands of people from Wollongong pouring into Kogarah to watch the Dragons?

I can assist here, no-one.
It's well known that a fair percentage or Cowboys fans live four or more hours away from Townsville and travel all that way to watch them play, hence the reason the best time slot for them is probably 5.30pm/7.30pm on a Saturday.

One of the posters on here compared Wollongong to Townsville based on population, so I brought up this well known fact about the Cowboys to show that Cowboys equal FNQ down to Mackay, not just Townsville.

There may very well be a segment of Dragons fans in Wollongong who travel regularly to Kogarah, but I have never heard the Dragons complain that games need to be played there at specific times so that people from Wollongong can make the trip. If it was the case then surely something would have been said about it by now, don't you think?

Do Thurs/Fri games at Kogarah see a huge drop in attendances compared to ones held on a Sat/Sun arvo?

For the Cowboys it makes a huge difference to how many people can attend.

Surely you're aware that people from North Queensland are accustomed to travelling vast distances everyday because many of them live rurally and need to do so for work and buy goods, so they're more likely to get up off their arse and drive for hours on end to see a football game than some one from Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney or Wollongong who has everything close by.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
A user name like get rid of the donkeys tells me he’s talking about the broncos

Does this pleb realize that if it wasn’t for the broncos there would definitely be no cowboys?

A user name like get rid of the donkeys tells me he’s talking about the broncos

Does this pleb realize that if it wasn’t for the broncos there would definitely be no cowboys?

Cowboys vs Broncos Finals Record

Cowboys 5 Wins 1 Loss
Broncos 1 Win 5 Losses

Times Broncos Eliminated Cowboys From Finals

Zero

Times Cowboys Eliminated Broncos From Finals

Four. 2004, 2012, 2014 and 2016.

Grand Final Record Between Cowboys and Broncos

2014 Auckland Nines
Cowboys W 16 - 7 L Broncos

2015 NRL Premiership
Cowboys W 17 - 16 L Broncos

Last time Broncos were "THE CHAMPS"?

NRL PREMIERS 2006. Many Broncos fans were still in nappies or weren't even born.

Last Time Cowboys were "THE CHAMPS"

NRL PREMIERS 2015. For Broncos fans it feels like yesterday.
NRL NINES. 2014 and 2020.

_Johnsy

Referee
There may very well be a segment of Dragons fans in Wollongong who travel regularly to Kogarah, but I have never heard the Dragons complain that games need to be played there at specific times so that people from Wollongong can make the trip. If it was the case then surely something would have been said about it by now, don't you think?

Again, your premise was that there are to no dragons fans travelling from The Gong to Kogarah, now there may well be some dragons fans travel from the Gong to Kogarah, which is it?

No, it's an hour. I am not arguing that something should be done, learn to read. My point is (which has now been made clearly to you, more than once is the premise you have used is incorrect until you can prove the numbers, alluding to what you believe them to be doesn't cut it.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Cowboys vs Broncos Finals Record

Cowboys 5 Wins 1 Loss
Broncos 1 Win 5 Losses

Times Broncos Eliminates Cowboys From Finals

Zero

Times Cowboys Eliminated Broncos From Finals

Four. 2004, 2012, 2014 and 2016.

Grand Final Record Between Cowboys and Broncos

2014 Auckland Nines
Cowboys W 16 - 7 L Broncos

2015 NRL Premiership
Cowboys W 17 - 16 L Broncos

Last time Broncos were "THE CHAMPS"?

When many Broncos fans were still in nappies.

Last Time Cowboys were "THE CHAMPS"

For Broncos fans it feels like yesterday.

None of this happens if there are no cowboys you clown

I repeat no broncos no cowboys

None of this happens if there are no cowboys you clown

I repeat no broncos no cowboys
That's right, none of these amazing events that made everyone around the country LOL would have happened without the Cowboys.
The reason I chose this username is because Broncos fans spent 2018-2020 clogging up Cowboys game day threads hating on the club, especially @I Bleed Maroon and @Maroon4life because they were still smarting over 2015, so I returned serve by using a name that would trigger you sooks. Your response is gold. Your mob are always heaping shit on the Titans, so it's time to give it back.

Last edited:
Wrong thread
If there's a Sydney Conference and an Everyone Else Conference then Broncos and Cowboys will be grouped together. Your mob will probably push for it so you don't have to worry about losing to us again in any future NRL GF. We all know how much 2015 crushed Brisbane. It won't solve the problem of us knocking you out of the Everyone Else Conference Finals, although if it's the EE Conference GF then you'll have home ground advantage, so Murdoch will probably push for that. It won't matter, you'll still lose to us or Melbourne. Watching you lose at Lang Park will make it even better.

SBD82

Coach
Again, your premise was that there are to no dragons fans travelling from The Gong to Kogarah, now there may well be some dragons fans travel from the Gong to Kogarah, which is it?

No, it's an hour. I am not arguing that something should be done, learn to read. My point is (which has now been made clearly to you, more than once is the premise you have used is incorrect until you can prove the numbers, alluding to what you believe them to be doesn't cut it.
I wouldn’t waste your time mate.

He was talking about Wollongong, the shire and kogarah having a combined population that couldn’t support 2 rugby league teams.

When I pointed out that the shire and Wollongong both have larger populations than Townsville, he went on a weird tangent about the cowboys servicing all of north qld.

When I pointed out that Wollongong services the greater Illawarra region he went on a weird tangent about Wollongong fans traveling to kogarah.

Really not worth your time.

_Johnsy

Referee

He was talking about Wollongong, the shire and kogarah having a combined population that couldn’t support 2 rugby league teams.

When I pointed out that the shire and Wollongong both have larger populations than Townsville, he went on a weird tangent about the cowboys servicing all of north qld.

When I pointed out that Wollongong services the greater Illawarra region he went on a weird tangent about Wollongong fans traveling to kogarah.

That much is obvious, how many times do you try to explain a simple point?

This is a blatant lie and I will prove it by taking a screenshot of what I actually said.

Screenshot_20210508-224849.png

Why did you bring up Wollongong when I was speaking about Southern Sydney, which is Georges River Council, Bayside Council and Sutherland Shire?

Screenshot_20210508-230403.png

You didn't provide any evidence that people from Illawarra travel as long distances as people from North Queensland. If you don't know that Cowboys fans travel further and longer than any other fanbase then you're not much of an RL fan.

Do you have any evidence that a sizeable percentage of Dragons fans travel up to four hours just to get to Kogarah?

So far I've gotten anecdotal evidence that 10 people travel from Townsville to SFS, Kogarah and Wollongong 2-4 times a year. Guess what, thousands of Cowboys fans travel vast distances to get to Townsville Stadium. When Cowboys host games on a Thurs/Fri it has a far greater effect on their attendances than any other club because so many of its fans don't live in Townsville. North Queensland's population is spread out like Tasmania.

SBD82

Coach
This is a blatant lie and I will prove it by taking a screenshot of what I actually said.

View attachment 48292

Why did you bring up Wollongong when I was speaking about Southern Sydney, which is Georges River Council, Bayside Council and Sutherland Shire?

View attachment 48293

You didn't provide any evidence that people from Illawarra travel as long distances as people from North Queensland. If you don't know that Cowboys fans travel further and longer than any other fanbase then you're not much of an RL fan.

Do you have any evidence that a sizeable percentage of Dragons fans travel up to four hours just to get to Kogarah?

So far I've gotten anecdotal evidence that 10 people travel from Townsville to SFS, Kogarah and Wollongong 2-4 times a year. Guess what, thousands of Cowboys fans travel vast distances to get to Townsville Stadium. When Cowboys host games on a Thurs/Fri it has a far greater effect on their attendances than any other club because so many of its fans don't live in Townsville. North Queensland's population is spread out like Tasmania.
I’ve well and truly given up.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
That's right, none of these amazing events that made everyone around the country LOL would have happened without the Cowboys.
The reason I chose this username is because Broncos fans spent 2018-2020 clogging up Cowboys game day threads hating on the club, especially @I Bleed Maroon and @Maroon4life because they were still smarting over 2015, so I returned serve by using a name that would trigger you sooks. Your response is gold. Your mob are always heaping shit on the Titans, so it's time to give it back.
You’re ridiculing other posters behaviour but then replicating that behaviour (and some) in not just the game day threads. In this particular thread you’re even after the dragons.

99% of broncos fans are at peace with the losses you mention, so bringing them up is like water off a ducks back, particularly when from someone who waited till we were completely garbage before making an antagonistic username. The broncos fans contributing around here these days are fun and humorous - getting amongst that is much better than tit-for-tat-merkinry.

You’re ridiculing other posters behaviour but then replicating that behaviour (and some) in not just the game day threads. In this particular thread you’re even after the dragons.

99% of broncos fans are at peace with the losses you mention, so bringing them up is like water off a ducks back, particularly when from someone who waited till we were completely garbage before making an antagonistic username. The broncos fans contributing around here these days are fun and humorous - getting amongst that is much better than tit-for-tat-merkinry.
I created my account when Broncos were 2 wins and 0 losses after two rounds in 2020 and the media were talking them up as premiership contenders. Competition was suspended because of COVID-19 and Round 3 didn't kick off until 28 May, 2020, ironically with your club playing at Lang Park against Eels.

Not making fun of Dragons. Just pointing out the population of Southern Sydney (560k) isn't large enough to support two clubs. Out of Dragons and Sharks I would keep Dragons in Southern Sydney, rebranded as Southern Sydney Dragons so they can take in all of Georges River Council, Bayside Council and Sutherland Shire, and relocate Sharks to Adelaide. It's my belief the Sharks could be really successful in Adelaide.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
We've already lost the war. AwFuL have invested in prime real estate in Brisbane and Sydney, buying land on main roads so that they can build clubs that are noticed by commuters everyday. It's great marketing.

The Lions @Springwood Social Club is right near the motorway in Logan, which is the gambling capital of Brisbane. People from Brisbane can easily access it. The Lions rake in about $5m a year from it.

Broncos could have owned Logan by buying up real estate for a Leagues Club with a cinema. They could have bailed the Scorpions out in 2002 and used it as a feeder club, fielding teams all the way from U7 to Queensland Cup so every kid born in this city would grow up would wanting to be a Bronco. They let that slip and the Brisbane Strikers soccer club walked right in and took over Meakin Park. AwFuL have taken over Cronulla Park on the corner of Compton Rd and Kingston Rd, which is right in the heart of the city. Slowly but surely, AwFuL is trying to convert northern Logan's kids to fumbleball, and they're succeeding. The Springwood Tigers and Rochedale Tigers JRLFCs are out of sight, meanwhile the Springwood Pumas AFC will now be seen directly by thousands of commuters every day on the busy Compton Rd/Kingston Rd intersection.

A decade ago I contacted the QRL about reforming the Scorpions and putting them at Cronulla Park. They weren't interested. Our game is run by idiots. There is a Masterplan to convert Springwood into Logan's CBD, with high rise buildings and plenty of businesses, restaurants and a theatre. Cronulla Park is within walking distance and part of the area in the Masterplan. An RL club at this very location would have been a huge blow to AwFuL's expansion plans, but the idiots at the QRL, Broncos and ARL couldn't see it and now the opportunity has been lost.

I am seeing more and more kids around here wearing Lions gear. If we can't even hold onto RL heartland areas like Logan, what hope have we got of expanding into Perth?
Derp, when are people going to realise that for most normal people it's not either/or but is both.

I own a cats jersey and Rabbits jerseys...

I played afl AND rugby league.

My kids played BOTH.

You can support more than one code.

Mr Spock!

Referee

Also swaps between crowd sizes and ratings - which ever suits his point eg the 2nd largest rating nrl club shouldn't exist because we all know fans only live in their clubs locations.

Latest posts