What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Victoria

Pneuma

First Grade
Melbourne Storm are introducing an academy program in Geelong to develop local talent in the region. I think we’ll see more and more announcements like this. Geelong is clearly a targeted region. Getting a fair bit of publicity as well.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Melbourne Storm are introducing an academy program in Geelong to develop local talent in the region. I think we’ll see more and more announcements like this. Geelong is clearly a targeted region. Getting a fair bit of publicity as well.

fumbleball is so big in Victoria that they having nothing to fear from Rugby League and probably don`t give things like this a second thought. However, as we know NRL and League by extension is a very strong brand itself and although League, especially the tackle version, will likely never supplant fumbleball as the main code we do have the opportunity to be a very strong niche competitor. Slip under their guard you might say.
Do you know if any of the non-tackle versions of our game are being used to attract what we might call the tackle-shy to our game. I still think that Touch and Tag-League make excellent school sport offerings. And then we start getting into the domain of school representative teams and inter-school competitions.
Nevertheless, something has changed in Victoria and we appear to see a bit of momentum building. Great news, thank you, always look forward to your Victorian up-dates.

Pneuma

First Grade
fumbleball is so big in Victoria that they having nothing to fear from Rugby League and probably don`t give things like this a second thought. However, as we know NRL and League by extension is a very strong brand itself and although League, especially the tackle version, will likely never supplant fumbleball as the main code we do have the opportunity to be a very strong niche competitor. Slip under their guard you might say.
Do you know if any of the non-tackle versions of our game are being used to attract what we might call the tackle-shy to our game. I still think that Touch and Tag-League make excellent school sport offerings. And then we start getting into the domain of school representative teams and inter-school competitions.
Nevertheless, something has changed in Victoria and we appear to see a bit of momentum building. Great news, thank you, always look forward to your Victorian up-dates.
Gday. For a start they have a very big touch Community there so the branding is common. League tag is played at junior levels and this has seen a growth in female numbers and overall teams. Pre Covid the game had a big growth spurt. After Covid it has regained its playing community and is set for a lot more growth. NRL Vic advise the game is genuinely community based run by working class people, often Pacifika who, after the pandemic, needed to take up as much work as possible cup to regain a secure economic footing. At the beginning of last season the four senior grades started with 16 teams. Midway through the season all senior grades had 6 teams each (the maximum allowed last year) so you can see the game really did make a great comeback after adversity. A couple of clubs merged last season post Covid. They have separated again and now we have the Geelong sharks. I will be really interested to see how things go this year in the regional comps as well. Cheers! Bus

Pneuma

First Grade
Some news out of regional Victoria. CSU Mud Dogs look like fielding a senior men’s team in 2023. Last year it was women’s league tag only. If this is the case and the other clubs stay stable it will be 6 mens and 6 women’s teams. CSU Mud Dogs are based out of Albury but that doesn’t matter. If this comp continues to grow, and it’s always an if, we might see some nice regional expansion in an afl dominated zone.

A sizeable portion of the NZ League constituency seems to have upped sticks and decamped to Oz in the past 20 years or so. Effects are nowhere more manifest than in Vic.

The customary family and extended family involvement should bake in some much-needed grass roots resilience for when The Storm's playing fortunes dip.

Pneuma

First Grade
A sizeable portion of the NZ League constituency seems to have upped sticks and decamped to Oz in the past 20 years or so. Effects are nowhere more manifest than in Vic.

The customary family and extended family involvement should bake in some much-needed grass roots resilience for when The Storm's playing fortunes dip.
Comps growing as is the quality. That’s all that matters mate.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Hope I`m not treading on your turf @Pneuma :

"A record number of rugby league playing schools from across Melbourne will contest the 2023 Storm Cup which starts on Tuesday (21 March).

"Established to provide up-and-coming Victorian rugby league players more opportunities to play the sport, the Storm Cup’s expansion further highlights rugby league’s growth in a non-traditional state.

"The new-look under-18 boys competition, kicking off at Seabrook Reserve in Broadmeadow, includes the five Victorian Rugby League Academy schools plus newcomers Craigieburn Secondary College and Tarneit Senior College.

"Also in the draw are The Grange P-12 College, Mt Ridley P-12 College, first-time entrants Manor Lakes P-12 College, Victoria University Secondary College and Hallam Secondary College."

The full article: https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2023/032/20/new-schools-join-storm-cup/

Pneuma

First Grade

"A record number of rugby league playing schools from across Melbourne will contest the 2023 Storm Cup which starts on Tuesday (21 March).

"Established to provide up-and-coming Victorian rugby league players more opportunities to play the sport, the Storm Cup’s expansion further highlights rugby league’s growth in a non-traditional state.

"The new-look under-18 boys competition, kicking off at Seabrook Reserve in Broadmeadow, includes the five Victorian Rugby League Academy schools plus newcomers Craigieburn Secondary College and Tarneit Senior College.

"Also in the draw are The Grange P-12 College, Mt Ridley P-12 College, first-time entrants Manor Lakes P-12 College, Victoria University Secondary College and Hallam Secondary College."

The full article: https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2023/032/20/new-schools-join-storm-cup/
Go for it mate. I was looking for that article myself. Post anything you get your hands on. I reckon we should have a specific spot for nrl vic and break it down further to club results etc. we will see.

greenBV4

Bench

^Another one if anyone has a news corp subscription

The winner of this cup will join the NSW schoolboys comp at the quater finals which is amazing for exposure and talent building

Pneuma

First Grade
NRL vic site at this stage indicates the city competition will have three men’s grades again this year. First and second grade are full with 6 teams in each (the maximum allowed) and third grade has 5 teams including north west wolves (who have reformed as a separate identity after amalgamating with Mernda last year) and the Geelong sharks who are the new club. This time last year none of the grades has this many confirmed teams and with a month to go it’s looking great for season 2023.
The women’s comp does not have any details yet but I guess they’d be banking on at least 4 tackle teams and 6 tag.