What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL2

If we're lucky, one of the streaming services might be interested in chipping in $30m a year to support a 10 team competition with a salary cap of $3m. Rugby Australia only gets $33m a year. NBL gets $15m a year. A-League gets $40m a year. A second-tier RL competition would probably attract as many subscribers as Super Rugby, NBL and A-League, at least if ratings for Queensland Cup and those competitions are anything to go by.
Yeah that's the avenue I think would be best, and I agree, I reckon more people would want to watch that division than Union etc

Yeah that's the avenue I think would be best, and I agree, I reckon more people would want to watch that division than Union etc
STAN Sport are trying to compete with Foxtel. They've just launched a PPV service called STAN Event. An RL competition like this would fit in nicely with their three weekly Ch9 games and Super Rugby coverage. They could even screen a game or two on Ch9 each Saturday arvo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
STAN Sport are trying to compete with Foxtel. They've just launched a PPV service called STAN Event. An RL competition like this would fit in nicely with their three weekly Ch9 games and Super Rugby coverage. They could even screen a game or two on Ch9 each Saturday arvo.
You've raised the biggest issue. There aren't many free tv slots that wouldn't compete with NRL coverage. That would be the big issue for the NRL and its tv partners. They wont want another division of RL on TV at the same time.

You've raised the biggest issue. There aren't many free tv slots that wouldn't compete with NRL coverage. That would be the big issue for the NRL and its tv partners. They wont want another division of RL on TV at the same time.
Saturday is the only slot available. If a second-tier RL competition drew higher ratings than Super Onionball then they'll gladly put ol 'ruggers on GEM and have the superior RL players on Ch9.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Saturday is the only slot available. If a second-tier RL competition drew higher ratings than Super Onionball then they'll gladly put ol 'ruggers on GEM and have the superior RL players on Ch9.
NRl wont put up NRL2 against its premier competition and risk the wrath of News ltd.

TheGrifter

Juniors
With 5 games per week you could have a schedule like this:

Sat 3pm FTA
Sat 1pm (East coast match) or 9:30pm (Perth match) PayTV - either side of NRL super Saturday
Sun 2pm FTA - same timslot as Qld/NSW cup matches in previous years
Sun 6pm PayTV
Mon 7pm PayTV

Last edited:

TheGrifter

Juniors
I don't think that's a big problem. The AFL regularly stages matches at overlapping times and it doesn't seem to have hurt their broadcast deals.

With 5 games per week you could have a schedule like this:

Sat 3pm FTA
Sat 1pm (East coast match) or 9:30pm (Perth match) PayTV - either side of NRL super Saturday
Sun 2pm FTA - same timslot as Qld/NSW cup matches in previous years
Sun 6pm PayTV
Mon 7pm PayTV
Another option is to play the game on weeknights.

siv

First Grade
The timeslots we should look at playing NSW Cup, Qld Cup, NZ Cup or NRL2 are the following

Fri 6pm
Sat 1pm
Sat 3pm
Sun 12:00

I would use the following for U21s

Fri 4pm
Sat 11am
Sun 10:00am