What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well you’ve answered your own question really. They don’t want the game expand outside of their markets they already are strong in because it would inevitably require them to pay more.
Fair enough, or maybe they value expansion and are willing to pay more for it? I guess we won’t know until we test it lol

Colk

First Grade
Fair enough, or maybe they value expansion and are willing to pay more for it? I guess we won’t know until we test it lol

You force them to. The idea that some people have of asking them what they want makes no sense. An analogy would be asking a supplier how much they want to be paid and acquiescing to their request without negotiation.

There is a partnership sure but it is a partnership forged on conflicting interests - we want them to pay more and they want to pay the least they can.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I've said it elsewhere on these boards the biggest hurdle we face here in Adelaide is the lack of a suitable size stadium.

Adelaide Oval is now far too big and totally unsuitable for rectangular sports.

Coopers Stadium is far too small and not to mention the pitch being too small (ie. the in-goals are as tiny as most in England).

Plus the big kicker is political will.

Labor got back into office on the back of promising to bring back the dinosaurs on wheels race (the Adelaide 500 V8's) and promising to end ambulance ramping which so far done two parts of f**k all to fix.

Problem is we are a city that is largely God's waiting room (a city full of old farts with one foot in the grave) who likes things the way they are despite moaning the place doesn't get nice things.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I don’t think they were aware when they were actually given the licence. I remember hearing an interview with the Reds guy and he stated that whilst they had accepted (begrudgingly) to pay for flights and accomodation of a travelling first grade team, they were then blindsided by the fact that they had to run two other sides and pay for reserve grade and jersey flegg accomodation and travel as well. That’s a massive cost that they wouldn’t have budgeted for and this is pre grants and massive TV deals
Reds did not run a U21s team in 1995

In fact no expansion club did

Wb1234

Referee
It's all been documented in Neil Cadigan's book. Cadigan went to the trouble to quote your hero John Quayle on the topic.

The only conspiracy theorist on here is you with your refusal to accept that AwFuL is getting about $160m per annum more than us from their broadcast deal between 2025 and 2028.
I’ve read Mike Coleman’s book on super league

and George piggans had a chapter in his book

Coleman is or was a news journo and his book tells the truth in details

Vee

First Grade
Fascinating reading.

Surprised to see News thought about setting up a team in Cairns. May have been an idle threat.

As someone not familiar with the area what makes Townsville work and Cairns not?

Population seems only marginally different (about 170,000 vs 190,000). Cairns is more of a tourist hub whereas i assume Townsville is a bit more 'capital/business' like.

I always thought they might work one day in the future. Would be a great rivalry with the Cowboys. Not the stupid Pride name though..
Tsv is more central and much more the "capital" of NQ. It can draw in Mackay and the West and, as you said, there is a lot more business money there than the tourism driven Cairns. I live in Cairns and laugh at the dribblers on here suggesting we should have an NRL side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reds did not run a U21s team in 1995

In fact no expansion club did
The original plan was for Reds to run an U21's and colts side in the WARL competitions. This occurred in 1995 but they had been told they would be expected to join the ARL comps at U21's and pay for everyone's travel and accommodation in the future.

Wb1234

Referee
Tsv is more central and much more the "capital" of NQ. It can draw in Mackay and the West and, as you said, there is a lot more business money there than the tourism driven Cairns. I live in Cairns and laugh at the dribblers on here suggesting we should have an NRL side.

Reflector

Juniors
I’ve read Mike Coleman’s book on super league

and George piggans had a chapter in his book

Coleman is or was a news journo and his book tells the truth in details
I've got Piggins' book. The chapters on the SL war and then a breakdown of the "criteria" that ultimately kicked out Souths and pressured other clubs (all from the ARL side of course) into mergers is nothing short of damning.

Wb1234

Referee
Y
I've got Piggins' book. The chapters on the SL war and then a breakdown of the "criteria" that ultimately kicked out Souths and pressured other clubs (all from the ARL side of course) into mergers is nothing short of damning.
Yes south’s cards were marked

Gold Coast too

From memory Cronulla and Penrith were broke or failed the criteria

the arl won the battle then lost the war

they should never have accepted that peace deal

after the 97 grand final the arl was in the box seat and Murdoch knew it

westerntiger

Juniors
The mergers were a disgrace...

Pretty sure a lot of them were intended to be short term until the end of Neil Whittaker's reign.

The Northern Eagles were never going to last, the current Dragons are just St George playing some home games in Wollongong, and the Wests Tigers are 90% owned by Western Suburbs but 90% of the fans are from the Balmain side

Y

Yes south’s cards were marked

Gold Coast too

From memory Cronulla and Penrith were broke or failed the criteria

the arl won the battle then lost the war

they should never have accepted that peace deal

after the 97 grand final the arl was in the box seat and Murdoch knew it
How was the ARL in the box seat?

Super League drew better attendances than ARL.

Crushers, Steelers and numerous Sydney clubs were broke and ARL had no way of bailing them out.

Wb1234

Referee
What did he say?
Piggins gives news ltd and the super league clubs a massive spray and says south’s should never have been kicked out based on the criteria

Coleman provides a great summary of before and during the war

Steve mascord just did a book on the years after 97 but I’m kinda over it and didn’t buy it

Coleman’s book is a great read on the topic and he’s a news ltd journo but liked the arl so wasn’t too biased either way

he details why brisbane got ticked off by the arl and it was their idea to form a super league and they took the idea to Rupert not the other way around

both Newcastle and st George had decided to go to super league and only last minute stayed loyal. Had they gone it was pretty much curtains for the arl

Piggins gives news ltd and the super league clubs a massive spray and says south’s should never have been kicked out based on the criteria

Coleman provides a great summary of before and during the war

Steve mascord just did a book on the years after 97 but I’m kinda over it and didn’t buy it

Coleman’s book is a great read on the topic and he’s a news ltd journo but liked the arl so wasn’t too biased either way

he details why brisbane got ticked off by the arl and it was their idea to form a super league and they took the idea to Rupert not the other way around

both Newcastle and st George had decided to go to super league and only last minute stayed loyal. Had they gone it was pretty much curtains for the arl
Arthurson and Quayle were keen on rationalising Sydney and the Bradley report said Sydney could not support more than five clubs.

What part of Neil Cadigan's book do you dispute?

Wb1234

Referee
Arthurson and Quayle were keen on rationalising Sydney and the Bradley report said Sydney could not support more than five clubs.

What part of Neil Cadigan's book do you dispute?
The book on the cowboys ?

the idea that they had to go to super league

it was all about who offered them the most money

don’t try and paint it as they had to out of necessity

it was pure selfishness and literally betrayed the guys that just brought them into the competition

they weren’t even in the comp four weeks and they wanted to leave