What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrls Shot Clock Change

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
NRL's shot clock change to break new ground

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/nrl-shot-clock-extended-in-2018/

I think it’s a great idea. More game time, the better. What is interesting is the fact that this will open up on average 6 x30sec (3min) ad breaks per game. If a average ad costs $10k over a year that equates to $14.4mil extra dollars in the pockets of Foxtel and nine. Hopefully the Nrl don’t just let them have it and can claw some of that money back.

Danish

Referee
So basically the NRL has introduced TV timeouts after conversions, and painted them up as a benefit to fans.

Not sure how they’ve managed to call this a “shot clock”. A shot clock concept is meant to get the ball back into play quicker. This will instead guarantee no kick off is done quicker than 30 seconds

T-Boon

Coach
Great idea.
Interesting that the ball is in play for 52 minutes. I thought it was way more.
I don't get why they don't apply it to penalties as well as conversions.

Danish

Referee
Great idea.
Interesting that the ball is in play for 52 minutes. I thought it was way more.
I don't get why they don't apply it to penalties as well as conversions.

Probably because we don't want NRL games going for 4 hours and finishing 86-52

Lambretta

First Grade
They're having "a crackdown on illegitimate play the balls and players" according to that article

Does that mean that bastard Cam Smith will be banned?

Probably not as they're not cracking down on forward passes from dummy half

T-Boon

Coach
Probably because we don't want NRL games going for 4 hours and finishing 86-52

We certainly don't want it to go for 4 hours. I think it is currently about 100 minutes. Ideally it should be about 120 minutes.
You would get a lot more TV money and I think people will be more likely to attend the games. You look at other sports, cinema and concerts for the length of time people expect to get out of their entertainment.

The thing is, what happens on days , like Saturdays, where you have 3 games all being played back to back. If the first game on the day is still going when the second game is due to kick-off, will that second game see its kick-off time delayed so the broadcaster can still televise it live? What if it happens in the first game and then the second game too?

I raise this as if you are at the actual game that is on later, you may wind up sitting there twiddling your thumbs just to accommodate either Channel 9 or Fox Sports coverage.

I can only see the above occurring in high scoring games, but it is an issue which needs some consideration in my book.

big hit!

Bench
shot clock - so basketball, so AFL.

considering it's used in more situations than just shots on goal, call it a stop clock

T-Boon

Coach
I would not mind the TV broadcast cutting to ads while the video ref is having a look. I would prefer ads than listening to the commentators gibbering on about why the ref is wrong and why the video ref is about to get it wrong. Why not make some money during that time. At least have split screen ads.

ed-grimley

Bench
They're having "a crackdown on illegitimate play the balls and players" according to that article

Does that mean that bastard Cam Smith will be banned?

Probably not as they're not cracking down on forward passes from dummy half
Just limit his referee consultations to 10 seconds.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I would not mind the TV broadcast cutting to ads while the video ref is having a look. I would prefer ads than listening to the commentators gibbering on about why the ref is wrong and why the video ref is about to get it wrong. Why not make some money during that time. At least have split screen ads.

I noticed while watching the world club challenge that the video ref actually was commentating on the slow motion replay decision. Gould actually said something about it I believe during the telecast. I think that is what’s needed. I hope they introduce it into the Nrl.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The thing is, what happens on days , like Saturdays, where you have 3 games all being played back to back. If the first game on the day is still going when the second game is due to kick-off, will that second game see its kick-off time delayed so the broadcaster can still televise it live? What if it happens in the first game and then the second game too?

I raise this as if you are at the actual game that is on later, you may wind up sitting there twiddling your thumbs just to accommodate either Channel 9 or Fox Sports coverage.

I can only see the above occurring in high scoring games, but it is an issue which needs some consideration in my book.

I can see what your saying but I don’t think 3 minutes is really life changing. It might force the broadcasters to actually start the game on time. Not 10-15 mins late. And maybe if that doesn’t work the broadcaster could take out a bit of fluff before/after the game.

The game should start exactly on time!
10mins exactly for halftime!
I think fox and 9 take advantage of these to things to squeeze ads in. Nrl should dictate this not the broadcasters.

user_nat

Coach
I’m happy with any change that results in more ball in play time.

However, this is clearly not a shot clock. They should make them kick it in 30 seconds.

I can see what your saying but I don’t think 3 minutes is really life changing. It might force the broadcasters to actually start the game on time. Not 10-15 mins late. And maybe if that doesn’t work the broadcaster could take out a bit of fluff before/after the game.

The game should start exactly on time!
10mins exactly for halftime!
I think fox and 9 take advantage of these to things to squeeze ads in. Nrl should dictate this not the broadcasters.

The broadcasters start the game on time? :p

The NRL should dictate it, but based on performance to date, I'm not holding my breath.