What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW season 2022

PhilGould

Bench

Her voice sounds like she's been partying since Sunday, but she took time in her acceptance speech to give a shout out to all the junior coaches that overlooked her for teams growing up for the extra motivation. Has as much confidence on the mic as she does on the field.

Apey

Staff member

Her voice sounds like she's been partying since Sunday, but she took time in her acceptance speech to give a shout out to all the junior coaches that overlooked her for teams growing up for the extra motivation. Has as much confidence on the mic as she does on the field.
She was fairly quiet at the Civic reception - I thought because she was young and maybe not used to this sort of attention, but maybe it was actually because she didn't have any voice left haha.

aqua_duck

Coach
Millie Boyle, Tamika Upton, Caitlan Johnston & Yasmin Clydsdale were named in the Jillaroos squad but Boyle & Upton have both withdrawn themselves. Southwell was just overlooked rather than being ineligible based on comments from the coach. Broncos, who finished second last, had more players picked than the premiers - including both halves.

Shanice Parker & Autumn-Rain Stephens-Daly are in the NZ Kiwi Ferns squad, and Kiana Takairangi is in the Cook Islands squad.
I honestly think the selectors looked at this season's form and disregarded it completely. There were 6 players chosen from the 2 grand finalist and like 9 players chosen from the 2 teams that finished bottom 2. If you looked at the squad make up you'd think the Broncos and titans played in the GF instead of finishing 2nd last and last.

aqua_duck

Coach
Fat chance unfortunately with 4 new teams coming in next year

I think at the very least we will lose Teitzel to the new NQ team, Parker to a team looking for a fullback, Predebon back to Sydney to get a starting prop position and 1 or 2 more
Predebon is from Gloucester on the mid north coast and played for Newcastle in the CRL previously so don't see her moving to Sydney at all, I think Teitzel and Manzelmann will join Nth QLD with Teitzel probably being a marquee player but would not surprise me of we end up getting Olivia Kernick back from the Roosters who came through our Tarsha Gale cup side.
I think what will help us is we have so many locals who are keen to stay local as travelling 4 hours to and from Sydney for training just isn't feasible considering most players have regular jobs. Let's also not forget that Wests are literally the biggest registered clubs group in the country and as such have alot of resources to help out the ladies with opportunities away from football

Predebon is from Gloucester on the mid north coast and played for Newcastle in the CRL previously so don't see her moving to Sydney at all, I think Teitzel and Manzelmann will join Nth QLD with Teitzel probably being a marquee player but would not surprise me of we end up getting Olivia Kernick back from the Roosters who came through our Tarsha Gale cup side.
I think what will help us is we have so many locals who are keen to stay local as travelling 4 hours to and from Sydney for training just isn't feasible considering most players have regular jobs. Let's also not forget that Wests are literally the biggest registered clubs group in the country and as such have alot of resources to help out the ladies with opportunities away from football
Predabon played for the Roosters last year. Being from Glouster wont be much of a factor imo as shes been at a Sydney club before

Shes far too good to be coming off the bench and 4x new teams will be looking for starting props

aqua_duck

Coach
Predabon played for the Roosters last year. Being from Glouster wont be much of a factor imo as shes been at a Sydney club before

Shes far too good to be coming off the bench and 4x new teams will be looking for starting props
she played for the roosters besure she came through the central coast roosters side which was the only pathway for most Newcastle and mid north coast players. This is the thing you don't understand, most NRLW players are on less than $20k a year, it's how we were able to attract so many girls home because for most of them NRLW is not their primary income nor does it pay them enough to relocate. I mean Yasmin Clydsdale who was a NSW rep was living in Scone and travelling 7 hours to and from training with the roosters, when we came calling it wasn't exactly a hard sell even if it meant leaving the premiers and going to to wooden spooners.
Predebon lives in Maitland and has her own PT business there which I'm guessing is worth way more than $20k a year.
I can imagine a new team like Sharks or Tigers being interested but the offer won't be enough for her to be able to relocate to Sydney so the decision is pretty much going to be based on being able to to possibly bag an extra 5-10 mins of playing time at a club that will most likely struggle and also have to commute 3 hours to training and then 3 hours back home or play for your local team who are the premiers and get to run at battered and demoralised opponents after Millie Boyle and Caitlin Johnston have softened them up, I know which option is choose

Last edited:
she played for the roosters besure she came through the central coast roosters side which was the only pathway for most Newcastle and mid north coast players. This is the thing you don't understand, most NRLW players are on less than $20k a year, it's how we were able to attract so many girls home because for most of them NRLW is not their primary income nor does it pay them enough to relocate. I mean Yasmin Clydsdale who was a NSW rep was living in Scone and travelling 7 hours to and from training with the roosters, when we came calling it wasn't exactly a hard sell even if it meant leaving the premiers and going to to wooden spooners.
Predebon lives in Maitland and has her own PT business there which I'm guessing is worth way more than $20k a year.
I can imagine a new team like Sharks or Tigers being interested but the offer won't be enough for her to be able to relocate to Sydney so the decision is pretty much going to be based on being able to to possibly bag an extra 5-10 mins of playing time at a club that will most likely struggle and also have to commute 3 hours to training and then 3 hours back home or play for your local team who are the premiers and get to run at battered and demoralised opponents after Millie Boyle and Caitlin Johnston have softened them up, I know which option is choose
Maybe

I just know that the NRLW is getting stronger and stronger and sooner or later the money is going to be enough and the season is going to be long enough for players to consider location less and money/career prospects more like the blokes do

You could be right and next year wont be the year but there are 4 new clubs looking to fill rosters and the existing 6 clubs have players on their benches that would look like pretty sweet prospects for starting spots in the new teams. Starting spots generally mean better rep prospects too

Knight Tales

Juniors
Maybe

I just know that the NRLW is getting stronger and stronger and sooner or later the money is going to be enough and the season is going to be long enough for players to consider location less and money/career prospects more like the blokes do

You could be right and next year wont be the year but there are 4 new clubs looking to fill rosters and the existing 6 clubs have players on their benches that would look like pretty sweet prospects for starting spots in the new teams. Starting spots generally mean better rep prospects too
Millie and Tamika are the two we need to build the side around. No brainer. Add the fact Hannah was absent and her sister is a gun half and this side is going to be the side others aspire to join. They are scary good this team. Pressure doesn’t faze them. Four early handling errors should have killed them in that GF.

Yosh

Coach
This duck speaks reason!

aqua_duck

Coach
Maybe

I have no doubt the NRLW will get to a stage where players can hopefully earn enough where it will be their primary income but I think we're probably a few years off that especially for squad players. I still think locality will be the biggest factor for players for at least the next few years with the exception of those who are marquee signings. From what I've seen female participation seems to be alot higher in country and regional areas which gives us a massive advantage even if we do lose some players.

Apey

Staff member

Three-time premiership winner Tamika Upton plans to stay at Newcastle in 2023 and hopes several of her teammates can do the same ahead of their NRLW title defence next season.

Upton, who was part of the NRL’s historic new Westpac partnership announcement last week, is enjoying a well-deserved break after recently withdrawing from the Jillaroos squad for their World Cup campaign, which kicks off on Thursday morning AEDT.

The 25-year-old has remained in Newcastle since the Knights clinched their maiden NRLW title and wants to be part of future success alongside the likes of Millie Boyle and Southwell sisters Hannah and Jesse.

For Jesse in particular, who stole the show at 17 during her maiden NRLW season, Upton is eager to play more games alongside the rising teenager.

“She’s the future of the NRLW,” Upton told NRL.com.

“From the first minute she stepped onto the field she showed what she was capable of. Hopefully she stays in Newcastle and yeah, I absolutely love Newy and want to stay as well.

Having trouble posting the full article but that's the part specifically about us.

Also that reminds me, I never watched Part 2 of the above.

Latest posts