What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW to expand in 2023 and 24

Tigers1986

Juniors
I'd argue a top 4 still even with 10 teams, because it may prevent the scenario where Sydney and Parramatta qualify for a grand final having won one game all 'season.' Top 5 would be ok, top 6 is too many.

I'd argue a top 4 still even with 10 teams, because it may prevent the scenario where Sydney and Parramatta qualify for a grand final having won one game all 'season.' Top 5 would be ok, top 6 is too many.
I hope it will be a 4 week final series - Top 5.

It's a farcical situation that no salary cap and CBA has been finalised yet.

Much worse for the NRLW players as they are all off contract and since they are very much part time players with full time jobs etc outside of footy they need to finalise contracts ASAP based on these outside of footy responsibilities.

The NRL players can at least sign train and trial deals until the Salary Cap and CBA are finalised

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Yup, Top 5 for me too.

Looking forward to the increase in teams. More than enough talent, the potential of the womens game to drive growth into markets where the mens can struggle is I feel under appreciated.
The exciting thing about our wonderful women`s competition is that we have this amazing pipeline of Touch and particularly League Tag to introduce and hone the skills of potential participants of the tackle version. Literally hundreds of thousands of participants in those two variants.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I think it needs to stay at the current number for a couple of seasons. A number of young players have come through and the competition has been able to stay at a high level.
It needs to solidify. I think the standard will fall a bit as more less experienced players are brought into the comp to full the teams. The standard will rise again as long as the number of teams doesn't increase.

Just look at the AFLW GF last weekend, that was terrible. 17-15. I did enjoy a couple of the games I watched this year but there are still so many embarrassingly low standard games and how bad is it when the GF is one of them,

Lets keep the std high for the NRLW and keep it at 10 teams for a couple of years

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I think it needs to stay at the current number for a couple of seasons. A number of young players have come through and the competition has been able to stay at a high level.
It needs to solidify. I think the standard will fall a bit as more less experienced players are brought into the comp to full the teams. The standard will rise again as long as the number of teams doesn't increase.

Just look at the AFLW GF last weekend, that was terrible. 17-15. I did enjoy a couple of the games I watched this year but there are still so many embarrassingly low standard games and how bad is it when the GF is one of them,

Lets keep the std high for the NRLW and keep it at 10 teams for a couple of years
Comparing fumbleball-w to NRLW is problematic given the nature of the games. League is often marred by knock-ons or one out play, get those two out of the game and the spectacle improves dramatically. This is something we are seeing in the NRLW. The poorer defence has been an asset ironically because it has led to more linebreaks and open play.
On the other hand fumble depends on the ability to kick distances, without this the field is more congested, it is harder to take a catch and as a consequence the ball is on the ground a lot more and it becomes unsightly in the extreme. I don`t see how they are going to solve this problem given the distances that the women are able to kick will always be limited by their physiology.

Tigers1986

Juniors
^ Has been discussions in some circles about reducing the dimensions of the field like they do in cricket. I'm not a fan of that cos it further devalues the sport.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^ Has been discussions in some circles about reducing the dimensions of the field like they do in cricket. I'm not a fan of that cos it further devalues the sport.

gee, a real sign of AFL's support of equality for women right there

10$ Ferret

Staff member
unfortunately that is a product of their own lack of vision. They jumped in with too many teams a came up with a product that was just not good enough, now they have to change the rules to try and improve the quality of their game

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I am not totally sure if the NRL have made the contracts available yet. They are very slow on this and it causes issues.
I have no doubt some clubs have secured some of their talent but nothing will come out until its within the rules to sign the players

Tigers1986

Juniors
Nothing in terms of contracts has been made available yet because the RLPA and ARL are still negotiating the CBA. Hopefully they get it sorted soon though.

Stewbum

Juniors
Leave the Dolphins out of it please. Focus needs to be on the long-term viability in the NRL.