What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW - A GREAT TEAM - COULD THEY BEAT AUSTRALIA

ozzie

Bench
Well having a look at the current NSW team - including Slater, Mark Waugh, Simon Kattick, and the rest they look like shoe in's for this years Sheffield Shield, Pura Cup, whatever this years name will be.

Could they compete better against Australia than a lot of other coutries??

I reckon it would be a great game to watch...

kaon

Juniors
I've been saying it for a couple of years, a full strength NSW side would smash the rest of Australia to bits.

Last years top NSW side would have been

Slater
Katich
Bevan
M Waugh
Clark
S Waugh
Haddin
B Lee
S Macgill
Bracken
McGrath

If we didn't have Qld biased selectors, realistically, there are only about 4 players who would force themselves inside that squad for Australia.

smoltzie

Juniors
Hard to say that the speed blitz blues would smash australia,sure maybe if you take out of aust Waugh , MacGill , Lee , McGrath then i think they would but those players are also test players so who should they play for.

ozzie

Bench
Actually the back up players for NSW aren't too bad when you have Clark (bowler) Bracken and Co. Still a handy side. My tip this year is M. Clarke to play tests for Australia this year and have a very long career...he impresses me more and more and looks like the little international taste he has had will make him hungry to go all the way..

Katich I would love to see in their as well as the all rounder - I don't think he will need much more improvement in his bowling to fill the bill of the one position we would give our eye teeth to fill.

Leasha

Juniors
You cant really compare NSW vs Australia because so many players exist in both teams. If you took the players who play for both NSW and Australia and played them for their state team, then NSW would win easily. However, if you allowed them to play for Australia, and NSW had a second-class team, then IMO it would be an Australian victory

Dan Jackson

Juniors
smoltzie said:
Hard to say that the speed blitz blues would smash australia,sure maybe if you take out of aust Waugh , MacGill , Lee , McGrath then i think they would but those players are also test players so who should they play for.
Good point smoltzie. But it doesn't take rocket science to work out that even without the players you mentioned, NSW have a set up that would allow those players to play for Aust. and replace them with quality like, Nicholson, Thornley, Bollinger, Jacques, etc.
The lean seasons we had for a couple of seasons was a re-building faze that has only benefited us. The only "problem" is that the likes of Michael Clarke, Bracken, and now possibly Nicholson may get called up for international duty and leave us back where we started.
What do you think, smoltzie?

NC

Juniors
I think it is possible. But what about the Blues players who are also representing Aus?

Dan Jackson

Juniors
NC said:
I think it is possible. But what about the Blues players who are also representing Aus?
I think we should play without the rep players. How's this for a side?
Greg Mail
Slats
Simon Kat
Clarkey
Bevo
Junior
Haddos
Matty Nicholson
Bracken
Stuey Clark
Bollinger

Of course if it's a 1 day game then Bevo would play for Aust and you'd replace him with the prolific Phil Jacques.

TheParraboy

Staff member
They wont pick him, but I reckon if Bevo got a call up to the test side hed be like a Hayden or Langer, just score heaps of runs.

Does anyone know if Slater is actually playing this season 03/04 ??

I know M Waugh is having one more year 8)

Dan Jackson

Juniors
TheParraboy said:
They wont pick him, but I reckon if Bevo got a call up to the test side hed be like a Hayden or Langer, just score heaps of runs.

Does anyone know if Slater is actually playing this season 03/04 ??

I know M Waugh is having one more year 8)

Slats will be there. He played in the trials last week and did ok. He has been quoted as saying that he wants to be the next in line for the Test team if something was to happen to Haydos or Lang.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Thanks Dan

Its gonna be hard ousting Hayden and Langer (unless injured), particularly as we play Zimbabwe, India and I think Sri Lanka in the next few test matches here at home.
Hope slats smashes some NSW records though 8)

Doctor

Bench
The NSW side could beat a combined state side - but only if all NSW's internationals were there, and the other states didn't have theres.

NSW are good, but Queensland cricket is blossoming, as is Western Australia - the Victorians aren't far off the pace either, so there is no way NSW is that far ahead of everyone.

For the past decade or more they have always been a strong side, especially with their internationals back - they are, it seems, disadvantaged by the quality of their cricketers because they go on to bigger and better sides.

My tip this year is M. Clarke to play tests for Australia this year and have a very long career...he impresses me more and more and looks like the little international taste he has had will make him hungry to go all the way..

I agree. The handful of one day internationals he has played have been very impressive - 39* in his first match, then given a rest to accomodate for so-called 'better players', then he found his way back in and has impressed where he has been given opportunities.

From just 5 innings (spread over a few months) at the top he has amassed over 200 runs and averages 104.50 in OD Internationals. Two half centuries, including a 75* - he has the makings of a regular international by seasons-end.

I get excited about Australia's cricketing future when I see young batsmen like Clarke emerging from state cricket - in just two seasons he has made a name for himself as the next big thing to hit cricket.

Doctor

Bench
But you cant compare ODI cricket to FC cricket surely?

I'm not sure if this is directed at me.

I don't think you can compare ODI cricket to domestic cricket, but you can however look at the difficulty levels of both - with regards to a NSW VS Everyone else fixture it is purely hypothetical anyway.

But if your comment is in regards to Clarke - I think you can certainly raise his form and question how well he would go in the top team.
I would argue that a Aust Vs Zimbabwe match would be easier than NSW vs South Australia - domestic cricket in this country is alive and well, and some international teams, including England, have struggled to even account for Chairmans' XI sides.

Clarke's stats are impressive, and he will perform well at whatever level.

Anonymous

Juniors
I think even without the rep players they'd put up one hell of a fight. Consider:

1-C.Richards
2-M.Slater
3-S.Katich(vc)
4-M.Bevan(During Test Season)/S.Waugh(c)(During ODI Season)
5-M.Clarke
6.M.Waugh
7-B.Haddin+
8-M.Nicholson
9-S.MacGill(ODI Season)/A.O'Brien[Possibly](Test Season)
10-N.Bracken
11-S.Clark

That's no McGrath or Lee who are out for both Test's and ODI's.

It's also leaving out quality players like Mail, Jaques, Bradstreet, Thornley, Bollinger etc. although I'm sure a few of them (mainley Bradstreet and Thornley) would definitely come into equasion for the ING cup.

Doctor

Bench
Certainly Steve Waugh has the captaincy in the normal sense - he is there for perhaps 40-50% of the season given he isn't a one-day player.

Mark Waugh is an option as captain - perhaps Katich and Bevan will be given the honour.

Mark Waugh has been given the captaincy of the Bankstown Vs Western Suburbs match in Sydney First Grade for the opening round - that means he will be captaining his brother Steve for the first time ever.

Latest posts