What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup 2022

Vic Mackey

Referee
Squad announced today:

2022 NSW Cup squad​

NRL train-and-trial players: Ben Stevanovic, Billy Stapleton, Christian Ma’anaima, Iversoon Fuatimau, Junior Pauga, Liam Scolari, Logen Dillion, Rua Ngatikaura, Tom Freebairn.

NSW Cup contracts: Jimmy Ngutlik, Israel Ogden, Joseph Tapauri, Aden Perry, Edenn Rogers-Smith, Atitasi James, Sione Tupou, Felix Smith.

Extended squad: D’Rhys Miller, Kel O’Brien, Mateo Tatola.

9 players from our undefeated JF side have stepped up a grade

We knew about the train and trial guys but a Few other I ntersting ones:

Jimmy Ngutlik - was reportedly signed last year from PNG yet think never made it due to COVID. Highly rated outside back

Israel Ogden - very happy to see him still here. This guy could be anything. Plays anywhere in the backline but seems most at home at centre

Aiden Perry - aggressive lock/prop who always runs it off the back fence

When you add in the guys who will drop back from first grade it’s going to be a very strong side. Depending on first grade around 1 could look something like this:

1. Dillon
2. Scolari
3. Hoffman
4. Ogden
5. Pauga
6. Stefanovic
7. Madden
8. Musgrove
9. Liddle
10. Ma’anaima
11. Garner
12. Tuilagi
13. Simpkins
14. Ngatikaura
15. Perry
16. Rogers-Smith
17. Tupou

Very young side but most have first grade potential. Whatever Magpies are paying to win the comp will be good odds

stryker

First Grade
Thanks for that Vic.
Very promising looking backup team has been assembled there.
Hope to see a couple have a crack at top grade during the year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Thanks for that Vic.
Very promising looking backup team has been assembled there.
Hope to see a couple have a crack at top grade during the year.

Ive said it before but COVID screwed us more then most teams. In 2019 the club took a youth approach and gathered some of the best 17-19 year olds in the country. The plan would have been to have most of them NRL ready for 2022. Unfortunately most of them have now played half a season in 2 years and missed out on vital development years playing against men. We got lucky with Stefano as he is a freak, but Blore, Simpkin, Simkpins, Seyfarth, Madden, Tuilagi etc are at least a year behind where we needed them to be.

This is the same with the guys in the above team. You would hope that when your juniors get to 21 they are at least ready for a taste of NRL, however from an undefeated FLegg side I cant name one guy who I would confidently throw into first grade right now (If I had to say one it would be Ogden). Im glad the club has kept the ones they have as I think the majority could end up being good level NRL players, however they all need at least a whole year of NSW Cup before being promoted.

tigre

Juniors
Scolari could be our best winger within 2 years, realistically he could end Nofas career
I can see it happening tbh. Been watching him for awhile now and has always impressed. Excited to see how he handles the step up in grade next season

stryker

First Grade
Ive said it before but COVID screwed us more then most teams. In 2019 the club took a youth approach and gathered some of the best 17-19 year olds in the country. The plan would have been to have most of them NRL ready for 2022. Unfortunately most of them have now played half a season in 2 years and missed out on vital development years playing against men. We got lucky with Stefano as he is a freak, but Blore, Simpkin, Simkpins, Seyfarth, Madden, Tuilagi etc are at least a year behind where we needed them to be.

This is the same with the guys in the above team. You would hope that when your juniors get to 21 they are at least ready for a taste of NRL, however from an undefeated FLegg side I cant name one guy who I would confidently throw into first grade right now (If I had to say one it would be Ogden). Im glad the club has kept the ones they have as I think the majority could end up being good level NRL players, however they all need at least a whole year of NSW Cup before being promoted.
Could be a blessing in disguise.
They will be just that bit more older, level headed possibly and desperate to make their mark.
We won’t be copping big headed 19/20 year olds, they’ll be determined 21/22 year olds.
One thing I can’t understand though, is why the first graders played like bitches this year when this mob are coming for their spots?

Scolari could be our best winger within 2 years, realistically he could end Nofas career
Within 2 years ? All he has to do is not….
run across field as his 1st instinct,
look at his inside support in such a way as to say ’where were you’

All we want is the winger who…
has speed to burn,
has no issue in contesting bombs,
marks his man and
can tackle.

plus many more things that Nofa does that pi55es us all off.

Within 2 years ? All he has to do is not….
run across field as his 1st instinct,
look at his inside support in such a way as to say ’where were you’

All we want is the winger who…
has speed to burn,
has no issue in contesting bombs,
marks his man and
can tackle.

plus many more things that Nofa does that pi55es us all off.

I personally loved our “Don’t you know who I am?” game plan v the dogs last round.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I can see it happening tbh. Been watching him for awhile now and has always impressed. Excited to see how he handles the step up in grade next season

apparently has done his ACL, farrrrrrk really gotta feel for the dude

Hey Vic, from your 1st post above last November, plus 1st sentence in post 4.

See what happens in the 'silly season' with transfers a busted knee or 2 etc etc.
1. Dillon
2. Scolari
3. Hoffman
4. Ogden
5. Pauga
6. Stefanovic
7. Madden
8. Musgrove
9. Liddle
10. Ma’anaima
11. Garner
12. Tuilagi
13. Simpkins
14. Ngatikaura
15. Perry
16. Rogers-Smith
17. Tupou

Round 1 2022 team,
1. Logen Dillon
2. Will Kei
3. Starford Toa (from the Knights)
4. Junior Pauga (26 year old been playing in Qld Cup)
5. Iverson Fatiamui
6. Joseph Taipari
7. Jock Madden
8. Austin Diaz
9. Rua Ngatikaura
10. Thomas Mikaele
11. Billy Stapelton (broken jaw in 1st trial game last year, good to see him stickl to it)
12. Thomas Freebairn
13. Tuki Simpkins

Interchange:
14. Atitasi James
15. Fonua Pole
16. Aiden Perry
17. Israel Ogden
18. Ben Stevanovic
19. Ray Jankovic

A different team again if Blore, Doueihi, Liddle & Talau were all fit.

But is it possible to get excited by the Flegg team for Rd 1?
1. CJ Mundine (son of the greatest sportsmen the country has ever produced) 😕
3. Junior Tupou (the 19 year old centre they signed from the Bumbies)

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Went down 20-16

hugely disappointing against a side that only had 1 player with NRL experience

we did have 2 players in the bin but it’s a game we should have won

Latest posts