What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup side?

tezzah1

Juniors
Just wondering if there will be a partnership with the Victorian rugby league competition and the Melbourne Storm NSW cup side? Will some of the elite players in the local comp be looked at for the reserve grade side?

melbourne_belle

Juniors
I know of a few guys who played in the VRL this year who are being considered for the team. They had a few training sessions and now they are on a break and will be training again once pre season starts.
I also know of another good young VRL player who was being looked at to play in the NSW cup side but we are set to lose him to Canberra.

MsStorm

Bench
I know of a few guys who played in the VRL this year who are being considered for the team. They had a few training sessions and now they are on a break and will be training again once pre season starts.
I also know of another good young VRL player who was being looked at to play in the NSW cup side but we are set to lose him to Canberra.

What a shame, cos they (Canberra) also signed another Melbourne boy a while ago ...think his name is Dury Lowe.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
What a shame, cos they (Canberra) also signed another Melbourne boy a while ago ...think his name is Dury Lowe.
Yeah Dury Low played the last 2 years for Canberra's u'20s, not sure what he is doing next season.
The other Melbourne boy that has gone up to Canberra is being looked at for u'20s not NSW cup, got them mixed up I thought he was too old for u'20s, but turns out he isn't.

MsStorm

Bench
Yeah Dury Low played the last 2 years for Canberra's u'20s, not sure what he is doing next season.
The other Melbourne boy that has gone up to Canberra is being looked at for u'20s not NSW cup, got them mixed up I thought he was too old for u'20s, but turns out he isn't.

So you can't remember who he played for (the new Canberra recruit).?
And how did they nab him, we need these guys here in Melb. and eventually playing 1st grade.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
So you can't remember who he played for (the new Canberra recruit).?
And how did they nab him, we need these guys here in Melb. and eventually playing 1st grade.
He played for Waverley Panthers in the VRL last season, he was in the storm system before the u'20s comp came in, but he took a season off football and only just came back this season in the VRL.
He is training with Canberra 20's at the moment and he should know before christmas weither he is in the team or not.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Back to the NSW cup team, I know of one of the Melbourne boys that were training with the team that have made it. Poor bugger had training Fri night, saturday morning and afternoon and sunday morning. So there is atleast one Victorian boy in there so far, not sure about the others yet.

MsStorm

Bench
Back to the NSW cup team, I know of one of the Melbourne boys that were training with the team that have made it. Poor bugger had training Fri night, saturday morning and afternoon and sunday morning. So there is atleast one Victorian boy in there so far, not sure about the others yet.

Poor thing, bet he couldn't get out of bed Monday morning:lol:
Good on him and I hope he really does well.

meltiger

First Grade

That's excellent news.

Hopefully this increases the enticement of the VRL clubs to get a little mroe professional in how the conduct themselves. The Storm are now doing a really good job in providing pathways at 3 levels for Victorian kids to make their way through the system, which is a excellent. Let's hope the clubs can step up and do the right thing by our local players.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
What is the NSW Cup side actually going to be called? I would rather they are called something different to Melbourne Storm in order to forge their own identity. Maybe 'Port Melbourne Lightning" or "Geelong Whatevers'. Name the side after a strategic location to spread the League gospel and you never know this team could be a forerunner to a 2nd Melbourne NRL team in 20+ years.

Does anyone with connections to the Storm know?

nomis88

Juniors
What is the NSW Cup side actually going to be called? I would rather they are called something different to Melbourne Storm in order to forge their own identity. Maybe 'Port Melbourne Lightning" or "Geelong Whatevers'. Name the side after a strategic location to spread the League gospel and you never know this team could be a forerunner to a 2nd Melbourne NRL team in 20+ years.

Does anyone with connections to the Storm know?
Melbourne 'Wife-Beaters'

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Just an update on this boy Waka Wanahi, he is in the Canberra Raiders Toyota cup team. Its a shame because he is a great player and should've been in the Storm system.

joshreading

Staff member
I think they should take some of the NSW Cup games to the regional areas. NSW Cup is not totally broadcast like the Under 20's so should be easier.

Imagine having...

V Raiders in Albury/Wodonga
V ___________ in Traralgon
V _____________ in Geelong

etc.

It would cost a bit more but if the point was also to encourage local RL by staging a Gala day (senior and junior) in the areas the games are held it might work (even if the gala was largely nines etc to play as many games, get new/scrap teams together)

LESStar58

Referee
He played for Waverley Panthers in the VRL last season, he was in the storm system before the u'20s comp came in, but he took a season off football and only just came back this season in the VRL.
He is training with Canberra 20's at the moment and he should know before christmas weither he is in the team or not.

I ran the lines at Sunbury last season and apparently their halfback that day was in under 20s.... he went really well.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
I ran the lines at Sunbury last season and apparently their halfback that day was in under 20s.... he went really well.
Sunbury's half?
Pretty much the whole Sunbury team was Under 20's last season. I can't remember who the halfback was, but the stand off was Keni Blair, Adam Blair's little brother and he went well.

Your a linesman in the VRL? I have most likely given you crap in atleast one game lol
I am not one of the loud swearing ones thought, I just like to mock the officials occasionally.

Last edited: